Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. Yarott

Yarott Phantasmal Quasar

How long till Clowns take over the solar system thanks to keeping your space station unguarded?

2. VaeliusNoctu

VaeliusNoctu Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice new Ideas is there a realese date? Fly my own mech sounds cool...

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Hmmm. I just realized something. These stations have airlocks like the ones we've seen previously. That, at least, implies we're capable of exploring outside the main structure, which, since we're making these stations ourselves, wouldn't have any real use if we weren't capable of altering the exterior or at least just adding onto it. So my guess is that the "true" station size, i.e. how many modules you've built is what determines something about either tenants or visitors. Which, quite frankly, I kind of dislike if the latter turns out to be the main reason for building stations. I don't like having NPCs around, especially if they're uninvited. They're a pain and even when they're tenants and not just annoying villagers, they always block me from interacting with stuff I'm actually busy with.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

If you put tenants in a space station, there are ways to keep them out of areas where you want to put your machines and other interactable objects.

One simple way is to build a T-junction, or a Right-Up or Left-Up bend, and build something above that, but DON'T put any platforms, elevators, etc in there. You have Pulse Jump and the like, NPCs don't. They physically cannot get up there. So you can build an isolated area for the tenants that they can't leave but you can enter and leave as you please because you have tools to traverse that particular piece of hallway that they can't.

I do this for my bases all the time, I build NPC traps that they have no way of traversing to keep them in their own little area, and I make sure I don't put anything I want to interact with (except for the tenants' reward panel obviously) in with them.

5. Mihari

Mihari Void-Bound Voyager

This update is all well and good, but I feel like the game needs to expand more on planetary base-building. Exploring planets is one of the biggest parts of space exploration, and right now what we have is (as much as I love Starbound) really boring. All we can do with planets right now are drain its resources, maybe build a colony that doesn't have many benefits worth re-visiting it for, and leave. Space stations are neat and all, but maybe implement some cool new features or tweak older ones we can only take advantage of by building a base on a planet?

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm not entirely sure what they COULD do, though. Maybe they haven't done anything with that, because they haven't come up with any good/feasible ideas?

If you have ideas, suggest em! Maybe they'll even get implemented.

One thing I do note about Chucklefish, is that they are seemingly afraid of over-rewarding players, so they tend to go too far in the "not rewarding enough" direction. That's what happened to the randomized quest system.

That, and the game has very little in the way of progression... if there was more progression, more things to do to improve your character, then the random quest system might have been more interesting, because it could have provided progress in said system.

7. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

I like this idea where we can make a station in a system.
    Though I do have a few questions as to the placement and use of said station.
    Is it possible to have it orbit around a planet?
    Like place it where a planet is located on the nav-map?
    Or is the Mech the only means of reaching the newly built station to activate the teleporter?
    Or would we be able to dock our ships onto the station at a certain upgrade level of the station?

8. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I do not think they ask for many blocks, building in space should not be easy, and get resources, in fact, in my opinion, the cost of blocks seems appropriate.

The game deals with this, collect resources to build, if you do not like to spend time to that, it is not your game, there are blocks that to build them is even too easy, get 50 woods treated from 1 wood trunk is even absurd, Precisely, the wood treated to obtain it, should require more wood trunks, since when treating it, much wood is discarded from the trunk, 1 wood trunk = 5 treated wood would be more normal.

As that there are many things, what fun does it have to build things that it costs little to get? Should be more difficult to access the minerals that are in the center of a planet, it should be more difficult to get manipulator modules, much more difficult.

I think the game is right in that sense, making it easier would be boring already: S

P.S: I do not know if it's understood, google translate xD

devilanc and Lintton like this.
  9. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I too also agree on the difficulty of construction, makes it more personal if and when I complete it. I know a lot don't share that same perspective, but I also believe that progression is a bit quick. Then again, it depends, some players don't want to stuck on the starter planet for long while others don't mind exploring and crafting a home on planet. The choice is what is ultimately given to players and the story itself knocks out the need to explore universe and the lore in a straight go so that it does become the playground it wants to be. Which comes back to the need of more blocks and materials for stations, I like the idea of it costing more, but also understand why players wouldn't want that, they want to build big things and experiment, and having to scrounge for huge amount of resources slows that down.

10. Deoxys_0

Deoxys_0 Void-Bound Voyager

ETA on the update...? I start my summer class at the end of May and I'm hoping I can at least play the update a little before then.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, considering that today is the 20th, which means there's only 11 days left this month, I'd consider it unlikely. But who knows, they could release a surprise update this coming week. I wouldn't hold your breath on it tho.

You could, however, ask around and see if the Non-Nightly Beta has received this update.

If not, then no, there's an almost-zero chance of the update landing before the end of May, because it usually takes at least a week or two after the Non-Nightly Beta gets an RC build.

My internet speed is too low for me to keep up to date with Nightly/Beta Builds, and I don't have enough time to play them anyways, so... I wouldn't know.

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Can confirm no sufficiently large updates have come out recently, @Xylia.

Xylia likes this.
  13. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

Could we please get a warning before release, i want to back up my current game folders in case i dislike the update.i can always open the backups in another location and have them. available

14. TheGladex

TheGladex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, the thing is, you are never pleasing everyone with balance. The way Chucklefish go about it is by making balance changes silly levels of easy to make. That way, if someone thinks the balance is off, they can adjust it. The base game balance if fine, if its what Chucklefish think works, but not everyone will agree.

Kawa likes this.
  15. marceldp

marceldp Void-Bound Voyager

back it up now.

Tlactl, Gearzoid II and Xylia like this.
  16. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Sure but they can't have silly levels of grinding either.....and while it's true you can never please everyone there sure is a case to be made about games that stand very well on their own and are overwhelmingly well received without a vast majority calling them too easy or too hard. The console market would test their ability to make a game that doesn't lean on the modding community as a crutch to make up for its shortages.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

^^
    This.

Back up everything except the Player and Universe folders.

When the update lands, back up the Player and Universe folders then.

DragonsForce and Kawa like this.
  18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Big whoop. I can already build stuff better detailed than that on my own. This space station thing only stifles my creativity as I'll be forced to make big square room after big square room, leaving the thing looking like a Minecraftian Death Cube.

I don't want to be assimilated.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not everybody is awesome at building things that look good, though.

Personally, I only end up building boring square boxes and something like this allows me to have something that looks a little better.

Though hopefully they would allow one to build their own mech airlock and mech stations, or at least purchase them from somewhere so you could build your own space station without the auto-build rooms, OR, maybe you can build onto these and simply remove the auto-build doors?

20. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

agreed. I try theme builds once and a while, and (Especially with modded space stations.) End up making them look rather mediocre.