Mell's Doodles

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Mellsbells, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mellsbells

Mellsbells Astral Cartographer

Well, hello there, everyone! For those who know me from the TO forums, I will most likely not be doing a comic for Starbound (not for a while/in this thread, anyway). Instead, I'm hoping to do some good 'ole fashion fanart for the game!

I also won't be doing requests (again, at least not for a long while). I will take suggestions, though! So if you want to see more of a certain type of art from me (whether it be style or topic), feel free to mention it and I may go in that direction.

I'd also really appreciate comments on how I can improve. Even if it's just a simple 'This looks weird' or 'that style isn't good' (since I'll be doing a lot of experimentation here), that'd be grande~

Now, on to my first picture for this thread!

[​IMG]
    It's my interpretation of what the night-like deer looks like. I may do all of them like this... though this is my first time drawing in this style AND drawing a deer xD;
    I really need to improve my animal anatomy ;3; Add it to the list, I suppose

2. Wargod

Wargod Pangalactic Porcupine

That looks bad ass as hell!
    Not sure if I can give you any advice on how to improve because it looks pretty darn sweet to me.
    Maybe you should try adding a background? That's always a good training, to make a complete scene.

edit: One thing I noticed, it's possible that the shading is a little bit off - it appears as if the horn gives off light yet the forehead/snout is dark.. I'm not sure though it was just something I noticed.

Please keep posting more stuff. :)

3. Fuzions

Fuzions Zero Gravity Genie

Oh yeah, I know you. Awesome doodle.
    I really can't see anything with it that needs improving, good job.

4. Space Sphere

Space Sphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great as usual.
    Taking Starbound-related requests?
    I've got something in mind.

5. Mellsbells

Ahaha, yes, I do tend to avoid backgrounds a lot as of late xD I'll try to include some more in my later drawings c:
    And good catch! I'll go back into the .psd and fix it. Didn't even notice xD

Thank you <3

I won't be on this thread for a while, since I've already announced over on TO that I'm opening them up next week, and I don't wanna get too swamped ;3; Sorry!

EDIT: Changed the lighting and tried to add some reflective lighting on the white fur.

Wargod likes this.
  6. Mr.HotDog

Mr.HotDog Void-Bound Voyager

Looks great, looks evil :)

7. fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

Duuude, you made that one look so awesome!
    I'm watching this thread. You better post more.

AND I EXPECT A COMIC FOR STARBOUND TOO. owo

8. King Toad

King Toad Cosmic Narwhal

It does look great, and I hope you do many more great pieces of art.

As for Suggestions, how about trying to draw your own unique vehicle. There is no real reason for this suggestion except that there's a thread where people are saying what vehicle they wish/hope will end up in Starbound.

9. Mellsbells

Couldn't sleep, so I managed to finish this one. It's the... normal-ish looking deer? I did some studies of what they actually look like before drawing it, and I think it helps xD;
    [​IMG]
    I'll try my best to post more!
    And I just might, though it'll be after my current comic's completed 8D; Don't think I'd be able to handle doing two at once.
    How are you doing, by the way? Not to overworked, I hope! D:

Ooh, I just may do that! Man-made objects have always been something I've avoided xD;

Huntrex, A.N.T.I. and Grubbfang like this.
  10. fetalstar

Hahaha! He looks so majestic! And kinda stuck up. :rofl:

And I'm good! I'm a little overwhelmed by stuff right now, but that's partially due to being easily distracted by the internet.
    I think I should just.... turn the internet off when I'm trying to get work done. >3>

EGadd likes this.
  11. TenaciousTinkerer

TenaciousTinkerer Cosmic Narwhal

Awesome deers you have going on here mells.
    also looking foward toward what other types of animals, humaniods, or machines that you may do in the future.

12. Mellsbells

I suppose that may be a good idea... but, eh, what's life without challenge? : D
    Unless you actually need to get it done quickly, then the least amount of challenge would be best xD;

Thank you <3 Hopefully they'll turn out alright >w>;;

13. John.

John. Star Wrangler

Looks realy good dude.

14. Cobaltcakes

Cobaltcakes Cosmic Narwhal

I wouldn't want to meet that one in a dark corner of the forest.
    Or anywhere for that matter.

Well, I suppose I would if I wanted to become a kabob for some strange reason.

15. EGadd

EGadd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, that didn't take long xD Hope to see more of your work to come :D

16. Dispersion

Dispersion Pangalactic Porcupine

Woah, that looks really neat!
    I actually thought the night like deer was supposed to be some kind of aries ram thing, like this:
    [​IMG]
    But yeah, it's you interpretation.

Grubbfang likes this.
  17. Mellsbells

That it a strange want, bit to each his own, I suppose.

Thanks 8D~

Aw man, that thing look cool xD
    My interpretation also happens to have quite bad anatomy 8D;; I may redo it at some point, aha.

EGadd likes this.
  18. fetalstar

IDK man, I see the one giant curved sickle horn because you don't see the second horn behind it. The angle that the deer thing is standing isn't a complete side view, it's more of a 3/4, so the other horn would be visible.

On another subject though, it totally looks like that ram thing doesn't have a head. It looks like the horns are just coming out of its neck. It's freakin' me out man! D:

Pinkie Pie likes this.
  19. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Yea I agree with fetalstar on this one, at first I did think there were horns coming out of the neck. I kept looking and realized it just had a short neck.

20. TBSEM98

TBSEM98 Space Spelunker

Wow, this is just insanely awesome!