Plants

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Irrelephant, Feb 27, 2012.

?

Do you want plants to be generated like gears/weapons?

1. YES!

128 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No.

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

No, not a typo of Planets, PLANTS!

So, it was mentioned that "rocket launcher" has around 21,000 variations if I remeber correctly. Why not do the same with plants?

Here is my idea:
    Have a few set types of plants, much like couple types of guns. Maybe, trees, vines, fruit trees, grasses, flowers, aquatic plants, cacti...etc.
    Make some variations, mixtures of the different trees and such.
    Make them cross-breedable in type.
    Make them have some harvestable element that has an effect, have an alchemy-ish system. One plant can regen health, one makes poisons, etc.
    Make their crossbreeds have a chance of getting either or both of the effects of the parents, one effect can even be dominant.
    Make the harvestable element of them what you need to reproduce that plant. This is much like how if you a random creature on a world, then if you like that plant you can keep it.
    Make a room on the spaceship (or an area, not sure how to spaceship is going to work out) for breeding plants, but still with the option to use plants decoratively.
    Make a planet that's a giant plant, like an evil tree planet, and you have to fight a boss that's the brain/main tree/center of the evil plant monster

Breeding:
    Make a simple Mendeleevian trait system, a punnet square type system thing for breeding. Dominant alleles, recessive, the big shi-bang

I give permission for this suggestion to be used in game (if the devs like it)
    Also, I grow plants. A LOT OF PLANTS!!@!@! So, if you guys like it and decide to implement it, I would be happy to suggest a few plants or come up with some ideas to help get this into the game :)

Any suggestions from the community:
    Greenhouses
    Extractors (for getting the poisons/healing stuff out of the plants)

Botanist NPC...come on...there has to be SOME planets that have vicious-man-eating plants.
    Or some that actually have defensive mechanisms...like grabbing vines/roots to hold you down while the enemy eats you (yum)
    or better yet ones that give off weird spores that make you go on an acid trip ;3-KKslida...sorry about disorganization, the editor isn't working right.
    Plants shouldn't have effects on players only, they should affect the planet, or the region they grow. So a poison- plant can change the look or shape of a region, like when you plant a poison-plant near to water, the water becomes poisonous too. So you can use plants for terraforming!
    It would be cool if you could grind up certain plants into powders and use them as short ranged weapons (Like vile powder from terraria). Each could have its own effects, Poison, Healing for players, wide variety of status effects including sleep which is used for capturing creatures.

Knivez5, Ethenyl, Reynbowz and 19 others like this.
  2. Seahorse

Seahorse Zeromus

No need to bump when you're still on the first page yo...

3. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

^ it would be awesome to see thousands of different versions of plants. But the constant bumping could hurt the chances of the thread surviving

4. biocreature(Fr)

biocreature(Fr) Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I WANT SOME PLANT WEAPON:)

xboy777 likes this.
  5. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Plants would be fun to experiment with. I'd love it if certain hybrids could have poison extracted from them, while others could be used for healing/buffs.

6. Irrelephant

That's what I was thinking of. And the poisons could all be different, like one damages hp, one makes it slower...etc.

7. TehEpikMonk

Mmhm. It would add quite a few combat possibilities.

8. Irrelephant

Yup, it would greatly improve the game in my mind, which is why I posted this.

9. Irrelephant

I'm really hoping the devs see it. Do any of you guys have any other ideas?

10. TehEpikMonk

Greenhouses?
    Extractors (for getting the poisons/healing stuff out of the plants)?
    Botanist NPC?

11. Irrelephant

12. nish

nish Subatomic Cosmonaut

procedural generation of plants could lead to some crazy flora! i like the idea, maybe have a catalog of all the different plants you find, like they have with enemies!

13. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

come on...there has to be SOME planets that have vicious-man-eating plants.
    Or some that actually have defensive mechanisms...like grabbing vines/roots to hold you down while the enemy eats you (yum)
    or better yet ones that give off weird spores that make you go on an acid trip ;3

xboy777 and Irrelephant like this.
  14. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Everything is using the same generator as the weapon. (Even NPCS)
    They have a random selection trough a list of premade pieces.

So, you can guess, if you make another server, you will almost never find same kind of plants as you did in last.

15. biocreature(Fr)

biocreature(Fr) Scruffy Nerf-Herder

why not bio traps or bio virus?

xboy777 likes this.
  16. Irrelephant

Added this to main post with your name...sorry about the uglieness, the editor was being real wierd.
    Already mentioned by devs.

Dragrath and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  17. Psion

Psion Zero Gravity Genie

Hmmm, didn't they mention something about World Farms somewhere on the forums? Might be interesting, especially if the player finds a particularly powerful healing plant out of the random generator. :p

18. Shotgun Steve

Shotgun Steve Zero Gravity Genie

FEED ME, SEYMOUR!!!

19. Brunstad

Brunstad Aquatic Astronaut

This is releplant to my interests

20. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

would be fun to experiment with plants :)