Races...The More the Merrier!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by KKslida, Feb 22, 2012.

1. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

Hello all,

Way back in the day, I had a DnD campaign that actually resembled Starbound's main plot quite closely. And it occured to me today, what would have the most profound effect on a player than: RACE!
    With the idea of races, certain races would be able to have different abilities, different stats (trying to keep stats simple at the moment, as they could mean anything from running faster to dying easier), and OF COURSE, being able to hold different weapons.

As this is a suggestion thread, I wan to hear what race(s) YOU would want to see in the game. I have a LOOOOOOOOONG list (so I will spare the details) but I think this would be an awesome idea to implement into the game and character development! Yes <.< this kinda is a generic idea, but it sounds kick-ass to me!

*Let me know if there is already another thread such as this (I hope not)...hopefully this is the first of its kind.

RACES:
    Human
    Elf
    Dwarf
    Halfling
    Orc
    Giant
    Robot
    Cyborg
    Angel
    Demon
    Undead
    Vampire

GENERAL CATEGORIES:
    *Half-Animal* (could be half-rabbit, half-wolf, half-raccoon...etc. Use your imagination)
    *Alien* (lots of work on this one...this is more of a general category)

***Once Spoilers work, I will put this (these) in spoilers ;) much ablidged

Grimnir and redpowerUA like this.
  2. vitorsly

vitorsly Phantasmal Quasar

Right now I would like to see
    Any strong and muscular race like an Ogre that
    Can use 2 handed weapons as a 1 handed wapon (with only 60% effiency) but is bigger and
    Can't go through smaller holes
    Or jump as high as other races. There could also be some sort of race that prefers the
    Night and has advantages when travelling at night like
    Seeing better in the dark.

I don't really know.

3. Dyzzi

Dyzzi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think race you choose in the start of the game could fit in the game but maybe a some mutation or genetic transformation could be nice.

redpowerUA and KKslida like this.
  4. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

Well (for example guys), I thought there could be 4 or so races (male/female) that you could choose from. these could be literally ANYTHING, but general enough so that there can be alterations.
    1) Human
    2) Alien
    3) Robot
    4) Undead

From there, there COULD be something like genetic manipulation, but also you could obtain items that transform you (briefly or permanently) into sub-races. SUCH AS:
    1) elf, dwarf, dryad, orc, dragon-kin, merfolk, etc. (humans would be the 'easiest' to manipulate/transform)
    2) water alien, tentacle alien, fire alien, ones with 3 heads...I DON'T KNOW :p (hared to manipulate/transform)
    3) cyborgs, robotic versions of other creatures... (very difficult to manipulate/transform)
    4) Vampires, liches, zombies, redcaps, etc. (only transformable...no genetic manipulation)

Hopefully this can spring forth some new ideas or suggestions for races.
    Keep bringing your ideas on what races you want everyone -_^

5. Autoantitheft

Autoantitheft Void-Bound Voyager

i like the idea of genetic mutation :D

6. NobleWorth

NobleWorth Master Chief

Some races that make sense would be Human, Cyborg, and Alien... but undead I don't think so, AND mutation sounds great. For example you are gathering resources from the planet and when you have all the required resources and the proper technology such as the "Molecule Manipulator" (Name I made up for mutation machine) you may choose the so called "Races" you would like to become. This theory sounds great and would work in the game in my opinion.

7. TemporaryTorment

TemporaryTorment Orbital Explorer

How about Genetics to enhance the player character?

8. Sam_

Sam_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like it.

Rex likes this.
  9. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hehe I saw this and instantly thought of Xenomorph's. I think it would be interesting either being one in the game or finding a hive and trying to catch them.

Just had another idea for introducing the race, if you go to planets with npc's and the planet is infested theres a chance your npc's will get impregnated by an egg and back on the station it gets out and you have to have a station hunt before the xenomorph spawns more of it self.

10. Dizzard

Dizzard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think alien is too broad a term to be satisfying in a space themed game. In Terraria it would be fairly ok to just say "here's an alien".

However since Starbound is all about exploring the universe just being told "here's an alien" would be very disappointing.

I hope that there will be a wide range of aliens in the game and I hope they're unique creations too and not just based off other games. It would be nice to see some sentient aliens not having a human shape either.

JohnnyValentino and Slye20 like this.
  11. Slye20

Slye20 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think any race that's put in should have an option to be a cyborg as well :p
    Just a thought :3

12. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

True, and to think of examples is "hard" but we could even consider a medusa or chimera an alien...right?

13. Dizzard

Dizzard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldn't really consider them as aliens, at least not if they were just plucked straight out of a book about mythical monsters. On the other hand if they took elements of those creatures and mixed them into new alien races that bring something new. I'd consider them aliens.

When I think of alien I think something we have no knowledge of already. If you think about it, Medusa, Chimera or Vampires aren't really "alien" to us. We are well accustomed to them being in games/movies already.

JohnnyValentino likes this.
  14. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Course, The planet the player is from could be like a "hub" for a races. So your crew could be one of several.

15. Sherbniz

Sherbniz Phantasmal Quasar

Rather I would like to see the ability to create a new "alien race" for your character by combining of pre-made parts (face-types, eyes, ears...).
    It could help giving the game a sci-fi athmosphere.
    To prevent having to adapt outfits and animations to crazy alien bodytypes, they could stick to the Star-Trek formula of mostly bipedal, humanoid aliens.

The same system could be used by the game to create random alien humanoids to inhabit visited planets, with varying technological advances and hostility.

KKslida likes this.
  16. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

Alright...I have decided (just like on the new pet thread) that I will put a MEGALIST of all the races people want...I will include some of my own, just cause :D

17. Ragen

Ragen Big Damn Hero

I would like to see plenty of tribute races from across Science Fiction. For some of us, being able to play Expys of various famous and awesome races would be delightful, and in sprite form, there is a lot of leeway for even lawyer friendly cameos.

18. Marsgreekgod

Marsgreekgod Big Damn Hero

I want science fiction races, not elves.

Although to be honest, I rather have NO races, so that we can do humans fully, I want every armor to work on my starting charater, I don't want them to have to redraw it for other races

19. Ragen

Ragen Big Damn Hero

That's a good point.

20. Xylord

Xylord Starship Captain

I would like to have Saiyans. Lack of everything, including intelligence, but are ridiculously strong. Just kidding, I think copyrights may be complicated with those :p
    I would like classes, with very specific effects. For example, some could be unaffected by very big gravities. The robot could be unaffected by temperature changes. Not sure if angels and demons are a good idea, because they would be obviously stronger than the others. Unless they're some sort of special class unlocked somehow.