Dev Blog 1.1.1 - Changelog

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

If I had a dollar for every time some other mod broke the game and someone said one of mine needed to be updated while it had been but five minutes ago... I'd still have effectively nothing because American money is useless to me.

DragonsForce and The | Suit like this.
  2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Exchange rate that paper into dough!
    ------------
    I have a question for the devs.

With regards to content, are there any lessons you took from No Man Sky's release and subsequent reactions from its players?

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That is an excellent question and I too would like to know.

4. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I'm p sure that despite the many parallels being drawn the two games have little in common. Starbound is about building/adventuring while NMS is about travel and exploration. SB has quests, craftables, farming, settlements. NMS has nothing to do with those.

The only thing the two games have in common is procedurally generating their universes. But SB's is significantly more structured and less randomized than NMS's. So I doubt SB can learn much from NMS's mistakes since it prevented itself from making those mistakes to begin with. Chucklefish is way ahead in their game.

5. Yayko

Yayko Void-Bound Voyager

please fix this:\

6. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

This is not a glitch. It's intended. The outpost state is saved universe side so every character shares the same outpost state in the same universe.

~ Iris ~

Kawa and Ainzoal like this.
  7. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

Is there any news on addressing the lag problems the last two patches have introduced? Is it an optimization problem?

Titanium likes this.
  8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I would like to draw Dev attention to this.
    PNG Gauntlet applied to Starbound's assets.png

Especially look at the bottom right. Saved 90707.29 KB total!

I unpacked the 1.1.1 assets., dragged my whole unpacked assets directory into PNGGauntlet, and hit the Optimize button. Do you see how much total size was reduced? That's pretty substantial. That's not only bandwidth/download size/storage size. That's faster game loading time. That's lag reduction - especially for animated files because that's less hard drive loading time. And that's WITHOUT you changing a single line of code.

I've been doing this for a while with my own mods. I was amazed how much faster my giant shipworld loads with the blockImage shrunk. A few KBs somehow makes a big difference. Likewise for my animated objects(especially in mass quantities). I've never before done this to the entirety of Starbound assets. I'm surprised this much reduction is possible.

And this won't reduce quality at all. There is no downside. Files are smaller. They load faster.

Now it did take a while to shrink them all. I ran PNG Gauntlet in a XP VM, gave it 2 of my 8 CPU cores, and let it go. You only need to do that once though. After that, just make a script to shrink which PNG files which have been changed/added. Rather... add it to your script which packs the files. You'd barely notice the extra time. Yes you can run the whole show from command prompt/terminal/shell.

--edit/addition

To add a little perspective, that 90707.29 KB reduction works out to about 88.58MB
    The total assets - after reduction(unpacked size) - are ~683MB
    of those assets, music and sfx account for ~577MB
    So the non-audio files account for ~106MB... after shaving ~89MB off by using PNG Gauntlet.
    And that includes all the LUA scripts, JSON assets, etc in addition to the actual PNG files I shrunk.

For a game that makes heavy use of image assets, that's pretty substantial benefit.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

That tool seems good, i already tried it, from what i'm seeing while work, is that the png look the same(no quality loss) and it's have smaller size, the apexAI.png it went from 22kb to 3kb in size, i only need to wait until finish to check if it was worth the time.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I think FU's author did something similar and it worked rather well for FU too.

I agree, devs should look into this.

11. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Yes this is completely lossless. The quality is identical.

To see the benefit in-game, you'll want to repack your files and replace the original packed.pak with the new one. Since this isn't the official packed.pak, I could see Steam replacing it should you ever have it verify the installation. Also at the next stable release... packed.pak will be replaced and you're gonna need to do this again! This is a step far better taken on the dev's end of things.

I did this out of curiosity just to see just what sort of difference it would make, and was surprised at the result. So surprised I felt the need to report my findings. They really should begin doing this. Prior to any stable release at the very least.

But then who knows if they watch these threads so long after they began?

Titanium likes this.
  12. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe if you put what did you discovered in the starbound reddit, it will be more noticeable.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

As one who regularly runs his mods through PNGOUT, this has my vote.

14. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice. I'm hoping they will. I can imagine the game 'lagging' a lot less around the opened gate to the Ruin for one.

15. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

PNGGauntlet runs the images through a "gauntlet" of DeflOpt, optipng, and pngout - so it is in theory more aggressive than pngout alone. All 3 are included in the /support/ directory relative to the install directory.

Possibly you already knew this, but I figured I'd mention it all the same.

Now given the last time this program has been updated, it isn't so unlikely that the individual included utilities have been updated since. Perhaps that's a fact worthy of investigation and consideration... later. I'm all out of effort at the moment.

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I knew that, and now the rest of us know it too.

17. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

This is good to know - I've stopped playing for now as the game is lagging like hell right now. Hopefully there will be a fix for this.

18. limitdistortion

limitdistortion Phantasmal Quasar

My workshop is completely gone and I cant go into it. also all my characters are gone is their a fix I can do to solve this?:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You might want to make your own thread about this in the Support subforum. Generally, piggybacking issues on a news thread results in them being buried under pages of replies.

http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/support/

20. limitdistortion

limitdistortion Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks but I got it to work while making my own mod.:DD