Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Man, yeah. I don't understand why they decided to go back on a lot of stuff that made the old game fun.

No special attacks on creatures = less challenge, less reward for gathering pets...it was fun capturing fire breathers and using them as pokemon. Now all the captured RNG pets are just frickin' COSMETIC. For WHAT PURPOSE. And getting rid of putting guns in turrets. Again. FOR WHAT PURPOSE? I really really really hope a lot of the old content gets added back in future patches.

And this was why I loved the old system for pets, there was just so much variety, and the creatures had animations for the special attacks too! Now its all gone!! Chucklefish please add the old content back, its so weird to have years worth of content gone for the stable. Like crystal dungeons too...what happened to them? They were cool with how they lowered gravity around them

https://a.pomf.cat/odupee.webm

Sylxeria and xaliber like this.
  2. omegavvarrior

omegavvarrior Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seems like the first step to spinning this into a more living, less artificial universe. Would love to see this expanded into a Escape Velocity-esque system with factions, ship swapping, upgrades, fleet building, and planetary governance but that's probably wishful thinking. Then again I never figured they would be working on changing the space flight system in this way to begin with so who knows.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  3. zernoc56

zernoc56 Subatomic Cosmonaut

One suggestion, possibly make the orbits of planets, moons, and other objects slightly elliptical.

Kawa and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  4. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

as a very newly promoted Master Astronaut! i approve this

5. BogDinosaur64

BogDinosaur64 Intergalactic Tourist

Will we get ship customization potions like colour and all that

6. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

It looks like the navigation got made into a mini-game. That's neat. I hope mini-game ends up being entertaining. Having it play into the normal game in different ways might be neat as well, like being able to hail other ships that you can board, or maybe even just being able to see other player's ships. I like the idea of receiving distress signals while navigating as kinds of links to quests as well.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Most damage should come from attacks. Touch damage I think should exist(people just run through and ignore monsters while exploring otherwise), but the actual touch damage should be small. More so it might stun/knock back you long enough to ensure their main attacks land. Probably also have a specific touch damage cooldown timer. No spamming touch damage.

I think that one was pure practicality. The weapon system changed dramatically so making turrets have guns became more complicated and would need rewritten from scratch. You have base weapon stats, primary and secondary abilities to consider. I've thought about doing it myself, but I haven't quite studied up enough on weapons to do it yet. Probably wouldn't take long if I applied myself to the task. I was thinking at the very least I could rework the turrets to allow upgrades, and have a shiny new GUI to alter turret settings.

Sylxeria, PaxCallow and xaliber like this.
  8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

See, the main problem with turrets using player-provided guns is that novakids would have a bit of an unfair advantage, in that they'd be the only ones capable of making aesthetically consistent structures with turrets, not having to rely on randomly generated weapons.

9. This Guy

This Guy Big Damn Hero

Sorry, haven't been catching up on updates for quite a while now.
    Will updates still be deleting characters?

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Nope, nothing post 1.0 should delete characters (except for playing on unstable). Of course, if you've only played pre 1.0, then your pre 1.0 characters won't carry over. You might have to backup your copy of starbound if you want to keep them.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You might want to make a backup copy of the storage folder regardless. It's only good safety practice.

DragonsForce likes this.
  12. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

Personally I think some elliptical orbits would be cool.
    to make it more realistic those planets could have greater temperature range.
    I guess they could be elliptical orbits that just look circle because of perspective though...

13. Sylxeria

Sylxeria Industrial Terraformer

I really hope they bring back attack variety for monsters in the future. Maybe that can also be a further layer of RNG there; when you stumble across a quadruped it could be a brawler and attack only with fangs and claws, or it could have a breath attack.... And that breath attack could be thunder, or fire.... It'd vary by "species", by the head/body picked, by the planet, by biome? It'd be really cool and add a lot more variety to things and even more reason to go hunting around on various planets.
    Maybe someday...~!

Yeah, a little knockback, small damage, and a slight cooldown. Enough to keep you from just running through a pack of monsters, but not enough to be your primary cause of concern. Their special attacks should be the thing giving you the bulk of the damage, which is why I think some monsters should have multiple attacks, like the Smoglin since its breath attack is pretty easy to predict and dodge. So it might have a quicker bite or pounce along with that to mix things up.

DraikNova likes this.
  14. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Plasma cannon head, flame thrower shoulder mount, blade arms and bubble shield projector robot in derelicts.
    !!!

Procedural Robot bosses! Hizzah

15. whereaminow51

whereaminow51 Void-Bound Voyager

Any one have an ETA on these new patch/patches ?

16. MrCasual112

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I remember waaaaay back when, around 2013 or so, the RNG monsters were far more prevalent on worlds, and certain ones would be in certain biomes. I was in one world where you could only find this fire breathing creature deep in a certain cave biome at night. It was incredibly rare. But it was fun to collect various pokemon, and their special attacks were all part of their charm. Now they just seem like cannon fodder. I have a mod that adds back their special attacks and its okay, but its a bit buggy.

Webm related:
    https://a.pomf.cat/jmzppj.webm

Oh, and the reason I really dislike losing putting guns in turrets actually was because you could put arrow weapons in them. Made farming meat easy and fun.
    http://webmshare.com/play/WJ9Qv

It DEEPLY saddens me that things like this are no longer possible, and 90% of the gun types are now gone, as well as creature abilities and stuff, but I'm hopeful that the game will get much better in the future, and hopefully re-implement the cut content in different ways. Fingers crossed for the upcoming update! All that said though, as much as I loved the old content, I'm not afraid of new content either, and I can't wait to try out those new mechs.

Sylxeria likes this.
  17. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Looks to be less of a genuine minigame, more a new UI. Like the Mass Effect / 90's Space Sim of Your Choice spaceflight UI.

18. Sylxeria

Sylxeria Industrial Terraformer

Yeah, a lot of these new additions were cool, and some old stuff was also cool.... But who knows, they might bring some of these back - and maybe better than before. The mechs got taken out for a while, and now they're coming back all shiny and updated. So, perhaps an update or few down the road they might surprise us with the "RNG Monsters 2.0" update :rofl:

Time will tell, and I look forward to seeing how this game grows and expands. There's still a lot more that can be done, and there's a lot more that will be done :)

19. MrCasual112

I hope they do more with those giant monsters that were posted once and then never spoken of again

[​IMG]

Would be good enemies to fight in your new mechs, pacific Rim style!

20. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

that pimp walk on that dinosaur and with the head strait upwards all the time
    [​IMG]