Dev Blog 13th April - Space Invader

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

booooooo. Show us the GOOD STUFF like CUTE DRESSES, SPACE COMBAT, and the COMPLETE DESTRUCTION of the GENDER BINARY

Cen Silver, Godbot and DraikNova like this.
  2. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Be a Ningen, they can wear Pinafore Dress too. Just mod the female hairs to males as well.

Once a mech sprite template comes out, I might do a cat-faced one, or a giant armored girl mech for you.

3. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh that would kick ass. thanks pal

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I could go for supporting amounts of genders other than two.

5. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the hats/helmets/scarfs/things the mysterious space arcade people are wearing. I'd wear that.

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

It's not like it would require more than a: loading a set of pronouns for NPCs along with the other stuff in a given entry under genders, b: loading all of the entries under gender rather than just two and c: changing the two-button select to a scroll-down list.

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@DraikNova, I highly recommend you never say something should be pretty straightforward when it comes to programming. I've fallen into that trap way too often before.

Besides, if they were the least bit likely to add a scrolling list to the char creator, we wouldn't have a need for species selection extenders ;)

Pohany, Hatsya Souji and Lodish like this.
  8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ah well, at least they could do it the way the implemented the expanded inventory: the option exists, but you'll have to mod the display to be able to see it.

9. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

Combat used to be floaty games of tag where every weapon caused massive knockback. You couldn't aim melee weapons. (That included spears. You could not aim spears.) Weapons had no secondary fire, and the difference boiled down to "two-handed" or "one-handed." Once you found a high-tier legendary weapon - i.e. a two-handed sword that shot a projectile - you would only use that until you found a better one. I don't know why you think there used to be more weapon variety. We didn't have any of the unique weapons, except for the ice/light bows and the gnome gun.

All procgens had special attacks, but they all felt pretty much the same - it just meant their attacks had randomized particles and effects. Sometimes enemies shot bubbles, or something, and that was kind of fun. There were no premade aliens, like Poptops. The game was a loop of mining for materials to get the next armor tier, fighting a boss - which you did exclusively by hiding underground and spamming projectiles - going to a new type of planet, and mining for materials to get to the next armor tier. After tier five armor or so, planets stopped having bosses, and the game was entirely a loop of mining for armor tiers and going to new planets. Then all that was left to do was explore planets and look for loot, maybe. If memory serves, armor tiers were also entirely linear. There wasn't any endgame variety, there were just ten tiers of ordinary armor.

There were no missions, quests, crew members, tenants, placeable teleporters, challenge rooms, or vehicles.

Sorry to ruin the magic for you, but all that stuff they got rid of wasn't very good. They replaced it because it was janky, or underpowered, or overpowered, and the game is a lot more polished now.

(But I do miss the tentacle planets.)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Astasia, M_Sipher, PaxCallow and 6 others like this.
  10. InF165

InF165 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Question for the dev team: with the changes to how the starmap works, is a universe wipe going to be needed or will this update be compatible with the universes/builds we have now?

PaxCallow likes this.
  11. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

I got a theory of how it changes from no gravity to gravity. it is not the laser wall which changes it, but when the game detects a room it changes it to gravity. the laser wall is just a large door open at all times.

PaxCallow likes this.
  12. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I do miss some of the old stuff as well, but most of all I'm sad that I can't go and play an old version for a bit, just for nostalgia. Who remembers the butterfly boost tech in combination with the best energy regen armour? :D

13. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

i remember it. in the old version i found out that if i spammed the "spaceā€ button i could fly for an infinite amount of time because of the energy regenerating immediately

I remember hen i started playing the game back in the days. On my starting planet i had a few different monsters, but the most annoying of them all was the bird. That bird killed me again and again even when i had tier 10 raven armour. It was an owl looking bird which stayed up in the air so i could not attack it, and once i left my house or climbed a mountain i was bombarded by exploding rocks from the bird and much more. Ever since then i have had a grudge and fear of the birds in starbound, but i have never met a bird as annoying as that one.

Also i miss the jellyfish boss. feel like it should be summonable in the game as a form of easter egg. a player try to cook some peanut butter in the cooking station, but then you summon a boss :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  14. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Yeah everything is easier til you actually start on it. Those "hold on I got this 5 minutes" projects rarely take 5 minutes.

Kawa likes this.
  15. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

To be fair, the guns DID have some unique bullet types that feel like they should still exist, such as bullets that had a delay before actually moving, or plasma mines that stuck to surfaces and exploded after a short time of on contact with enemies.

DraikNova likes this.
  16. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

Oh man, speaking of starter planets, you know what else the new players missed? That period when they made it so that all your characters shared their starter planet, and if you drained its resources, you had to build a little base and leave stuff behind for your next character. Be glad you guys weren't around for that.

We actually still have the plasma mine one. It's a special attack now. But, yeah, some of the dumb gimmick bullets were fun. I wouldn't mind if they put delayed shots back in as a secondary ability.

I also kinda miss targeted blink and bubble boost. They were super overpowered and trivialized a lot of the game, but they were fun to use. It'd be fun if they put in a mech or a submarine or something that works like bubble boost did.

17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I've seen and used the bouncy diamond-shaped bullets by spawnitem-ing weapons that use them, and man, those things are fun to use. Personally, I'm okay with them not putting stuff like that back in, it provides fun stuff for modders to goof around with to add some nice flavor and coolness to their stuff with.

18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Targeted Blink was, in the earlier Giraffe updates, the only non-basic Tech that was useful. (Now I miss Bouncy tech. It was much more useful than most of the current techs). Then again, most of the current techs are nearly useless: The Dash tech has too much delay to be useful, and the only Distortion Sphere tech that involves Tech cards that is worthwhile is Spike Sphere. Generally, it feels as if they should have left the other techs on.

19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Are you kidding me? Air Dash makes getting down deep drops easy. It resets your vertical speed.

Although, to be honest, the fact that you NEED to get a mod that gives you an actual key for dashing to be able to use it effectively probably sours a lot of people on it.

20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well, you COULD reset your vertical speed with air dash, or... you could use a parasol. As careful people do when they don't have the reaction time of a fighter pilot.

So, are nightly builds back yet?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017