Dev Blog 16th November - The Vaults in Our Stars

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Torwad

Torwad Scruffy Nerf-Herder

2. SuperFrog

SuperFrog Space Hobo

Hi,

I was just wondering if gog.com/connect offer will be available again.

Thanks!

3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    The Squid likes this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Code:
    [18:46] <healthire> Great news everyone
    [18:47] <healthire> I managed to reproduce the crew duplication issue, or one of them at least
    [18:47] <healthire> Entirely by accident!
    [18:47] <Magicks> How did it happen?
    [18:47] <Kawa> Entirely by accident can't you read?
    [18:48] <healthire> All I had to do was run the game at roughly 0.2-4 fps
    [18:48] <healthire> by running it in valgrind
    [18:48] <Astraltor-> 0.2 fps
    [18:48] <Magicks> lol
    [18:49] <Magicks> I think i was able to reproduce the npc/crew duplication once
    [18:49] <Magicks> I can't remember what happened, it was definitely on a shipworld though
    [18:50] <Magicks> Yup i asked and apparently lag on the server always causes it
    [18:51] <Magicks> healthire : or log out of mp and immediately join sp, sometimes that does it
    [18:51] <Magicks> apparently
    [18:52] <Kawa> healthire: so, they can has fix?
    [18:56] <healthire> Eh we'll see
    [18:57] <Astraltor-> fps lock starbound to not run at low fps
    [18:57] <healthire> Fix crew duplication by crashing the game when it happens

DragonsForce, bk3k and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

So it's caused by lag spikes? Well, at least it would crash in the shipworld and not anywhere else. Though people are going to be like "Halp! Gaem crashes On warp up! Fix plox!"

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You realize of course the last two lines were a joke.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You know that makes sense. I've seen sometimes my objects get init() called twice upon entering the shipworld. I should have brought that up. And I've seen sometimes it is seems to have trouble loading quickly. I only notice the second one because I have the teleport animation disabled. But these things are probably connected.

I've seen the crew duplication on the latest(released) nightly without running any mods but my own(and they don't affect crew nor any NPCs). So I'm guessing the real bug is what causes a duplicate init() call. In case devs aren't watching the thread still, pass that on to him.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  8. Jareix Cryvix

Sarcasm
    ----------->
    My head

Arra likes this.
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You know what they say about hindsight.

10. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Hindsight is 20/20?

11. Yerts

Yerts Tentacle Wrangler

(READ SEPARATE THREAD)

yerts-december-2016-graphics-optimization-guide

Some of these things are relevant to you even if you get 60 fps, check "A few things that came to my head...."
    This took me about 23 hours of gameplay and testing (mostly gameplay, so much fun!) to figure out my solution. I bought this game less than a week ago so Hi everyone!
    I feel that this is a culmination of hours of internet researching the various issues that people had with dozens of mods as well as previous FPS fixes from back in 2014 through 2015, and the mystery as to why they stopped working. I played the game myself in multiple biomes and scenarios with my personal helping tester through the 23 hours of gameplay to find not only fun but answers to why I wasn't getting 59-61 fps..... I do not have the end all answer. I just think that this may literally be the one thing that helps you.​

Well I completely solved my FPS issue that was bringing me below 50-20 fps, and I'm so astonished that it worked. I hope this helps someone now or in the future, and also help to better study the game's performance and engine in the future as well (hopefully). I am hoping to be able to work more and more in the games files to optimize while retaining the Vanilla game in it's entirety. Thank you.

(FAST SYNC IS FOR MAXWELL AND PASCAL ARCHITECTURE GPUS AND ABOVE, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, IF YOU HAVE IT, USE IT!)

Basically the game folder needs to be ensured that all files have been added to permissions for (your username specifically), and then NVIDIA control panel needs to have pre-rendered and virtual pre-rendered at managed by 3d app setting. The other settings should be set to your personal setup-specific settings, which should already be set. Usually max-prerendered frames is set to 4 (on a good GPU), does not work effectively in Starbound, but usually allows you to gain FPS in most games like Witcher 3 or CSGO. I set my vsync in steam.exe and starbound.exe to Fast Sync, and haven't even touched the ingame vsync yet thru the config file. I now get 60 fps no matter what, except when (1x obviously, still dont have access to source code, cant optimize any further) and in huge fights.​
    A few things that came to my head:
    1. -Running steam in admin is always required unless you like inconsistencies with reading and writing data, (obvious)
    2. -Forcing starbound.exe to -high priority thru launch options makes it crash, and thus setting various pre--rendered and other settings that are not compatible with the game engine, renders the game unstable and untested,
    3. -This game works best when it has easiest access to all files with complete permissions and no unsupported driver customization for Starbound (rendered frames, etc).
    4. -Fast Sync is compatible and there's no reason why you shouldn't already have this set to global in your nvidia control panel. (91% sure)
    5. Thisgameissick
    I consider my rig to be very standard in performance in comparison to a basic computer or 1060 of today. This means I get 60 fps max settings Witcher 3, Black Desert Online, Arma 3 Singleplayer, No Man's Sky, Fallout 4.
    My 6 year old rig with newer gpu & SSD to compare:
    • -1x i5-2380p 3.3ghz - OC'd at 3.99ghz (shows as 6.99ghz)
    • -1x EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 - OC'd w/ custom flash bios at 1531 boost, mem 4001 boost 1.275v
    • -1x Crucial M X 300 500gb SSD
    • -Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, Afterburner MSI OC and Custom Fan Curve, No other windows open, Steam overlay with FPS counter IS ENABLED for tests (62 fps max in Starbound)
    • -4x USB Devices Connected
    • -1x 500w power supply
    • -Connected to 2x UPS's for maximum power consumption and stability
    • -Firestrike scores as 68% better than rest of GTX 970's in online comparison (due to OC)
    edit:
    (extra info)​
    • Fast Sync tl;dr = Almost as low latency as having v-sync forced off, this is simply new tech and applies most of what is said below. Superior to v-sync in certain scenarios.
    • vs V-Sync tl;dr = v-sync is set in starbound.config to true by default, i haven't touched it, but in the control panel make sure you don't have V-sync forced Off or On. Forces every frame sent by gpu to sync with monitor, effective but high latency, fast sync is now improved option for +60fps games and lower latency, no screen tearing in starbound with properly configured fast sync even at sub 60 fps.

Here are some other Nvidia Inspector settings to ensure you have.
    [​IMG]

This game is awesome! -Yerts

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Gensou Ichida and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  12. Jareix Cryvix

I'm glad you could fix your problem! Hopefully others suffering similar problems may take the time to notice the solution should you make a thread for it. Which would save bugfixing time on the devs' ends and allow them to work more on content creation.

Yerts likes this.
  13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And don't you ever forget it.

14. whereaminow51

whereaminow51 Void-Bound Voyager

Does any one know the ETA of the new update that is coming out?

Also will they ever fix the problem of save corruption of a crash, where stuff is reset without the need of a backup every few hours?

15. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Well, that explains why some people are constantly bugged by it whilst others can't reproduce it... Hopefully it can get fixed :)
    And honestly, crashing to title screen would be ok if that prevented the duplication :D

16. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

I find it kind of funny to see mention of duplication of ship crew as so far only npc i've noticed having duplication happen of is the npc crew on those avian pirate ship structures i some times encounter on planets, Other then them i never encounter npcs getting duplicated.

17. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

See, I've had my Crew duplikated at least 8 times. I'm playing on a non-gaming laptop and often have Firefox aktive at the same time, which results in lagspikes. I'm guessing that your PC is more powerful and this doesn't happen. (For clarification: What I call "Lagspike" is a drop below 15fps or more. I'm laughing at all those people that cry about the framerate occasionally dropping to 29fps...)

18. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

Yea i do happen to do keep my computer fully upgraded for the higher quality games as best i can any ways, I'm actually not sure how to even check for the fps, Only thing i know of that gets annoying on occasions is some times I'd be going around the planet and run into these missing chunks of the world that just are taking a long time to load in, Other then that i never really notice much of problems playing the game.

DragonsForce likes this.
  19. Yerts

Yerts Tentacle Wrangler

Yeah I was getting those a few days ago when I bought the game. I messed with it and created a guide to fixing it, and then now it's definitely much better. 60 fps at 1x with mods, but I don't play at that. Usually 3x which is default and the zoom the game is intended to be played at. (This is obvious looking at how much farther you can see things with farther out zooms) I think the best thing for this game is to make sure you have permission for the image files, Don't run steam or game in admin, and make sure all your nvidia settings are set to default, except for the performance based ones.
    This had made my game much more playable.

You can notice results changing different graphics settings based on how responsive your mouse is.
    My default mouse feels very slow at times, and no v-sync will feel like a fast mouse, but lower fps and screen tearing.

cheers!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Explains why I've never seen it... the worst lag I've ever seen (not counting the Lag Gate next to Esther........) is ~40 FPS in the Outpost, or FU's Science Outpost.

59.9 everywhere else with the occasional split-second dip to 50-ish.

DragonsForce likes this.