Dev Blog 1st November - A Whole New World

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

That's better than mine. I can still run the game, but it's really slow.

2. Dragonflyspectrum

Dragonflyspectrum Void-Bound Voyager

it launches but the frame skip is so bad it takes me 15 minutes to even get the cursor to the exit button lolol

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

That is really slow for starbound tbh. Iirc the G41 chipset uses the GMA X4500 which has a core freq of 320–800MHz depending on the system. Unfortunately i don't know which value is used on your machine so if you have the possibility to get this value it can be very helpful. FYI: Even Intel displays this device under legacy hardware and 4GB Ram aren't that much either depending on what runs beside starbound. As for now it seems that your machine is too weak :(

~ Iris ~

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Here's what I'm running:

CPU: AMD FX6300 6-Core 3.5Ghz
    RAM: 16GB
    Video: GeForce 660 GTX 2GB (it takes another 2 GB from the system RAM for 4GB total)

I get 60FPS all the time 'cept in the Outpost where it drops to about 45, and near the Ruin Door if it's open (it goes WAAAAAAAAY down to like 10-15 FPS there, lol).

Or, if I open the Pixel Printer with /admin, then I get like 10 FPS lol.

But otherwise, I go a solid 60.

This computer is like 4 years old, and it was "most bang for my buck", back then. When I build computers, I try to keep it around $800 for a tower and get the most out of each dollar spent, which means I won't go for the newest overpriced stuff, so this computer is more like 5 years old.

EDIT: I will note, however, I run a rather small resolution of 1360x768. This is due to eye issues and the fact that this is the only resolution my TV-Monitor will accept. Lower Resolution = Better FPS because that's fewer pixels the computer needs to render. So that's an advice: Try bumping your resolution down a bit and try Full-Screen.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Dragonflyspectrum

Dragonflyspectrum Void-Bound Voyager

tfw skyrim runs on ur comp but starbound doesnt and the excuse is always outdated hardware not my problem

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Which Skyrim? The old one or the SE?

And it isn't always "old hardware". Yes, sometimes we get complaints from people running 8+ year old computers who can't run SB... but there are also things like AV Software running in the background, firewall programs, malware scanners running constantly, and lots and lots of other junk.

Especially the people who have prefab computers. Prefab computers come with oodles and oodles of Bloatware -- utilities you probably never knew were there that are always running in the background, eating up precious CPU time and RAM.

Or, maybe people are running something else that is interfering with the game. Maybe people are running multi-core enhancers or something that screw with how the CPU runs programs and that can be causing framerate hits.

Who knows.

But the truth of it is, we can apply some good ole fashioned troubleshooting:

1). It isn't Windows 7's fault, because many people have Windows 7 and can run the game fine.
    2). It isn't solely the game's fault, because many people can run the game fine.

Therefore, it MUST be something with THAT PERSON'S COMPUTER (and all other computers like it). Something that person has on their computer, or in their computer, that we (who run the game fine) don't.

That's why you guys need to make a thread, list processes and hardware, driver versions, etc. until you find common ground.

Kawa, DragonsForce and Axe Garian like this.
  7. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I meant that people that focus on building anything wont use(sorry for the horrible grammar)

8. msk2PL

msk2PL Orbital Explorer

GIMME SPACE SHIP BATTLES!! please!

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Such a feature would be impractical to add, and would seem very gimmicky...
    Pirates on the other hand, would seem easier to implement and would provide good mechanical balance to everyone just hoarding all of their stuff on ships... Pirates come and try to loot what they can and kill the player and their crew... If they aren't driven off, they will have taken most everything of value... The player could then retaliate and pirate their ship, as well as others... It'd honestly be a pretty neat addition in my opinion...

10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yeah, great idea. I can see the angry posts already. :3

11. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

The flames...
    They burn so hot... so bright...
    It's optional...
    Yet they flame like they have no choice...
    Also, space station and ship ruin exploration would be really cool.
    Raiding pirate bases anyone?

DragonsForce, Arra and Firebird Zoom like this.
  12. Vuldreg

Vuldreg Cosmic Narwhal

I'm wondering how safe this feature will be towards player built structures, Like for one if i have crops planted in a garden on the planet I'm terraforming will they be changed along with all the other crops the planet normally has spawned in that biome type?

Axe Garian and Jonesy like this.
  13. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

All for exploring space ruins. Also for space battles, but not for them actually raiding your ship....

The Squid and Axe Garian like this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Like I said earlier, the map data includes "whose tile is this". Any crops you planted would be on a tile you manipulated, so I don't see why worry.

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Ralek

Ralek Title Not Found

I agree. We could have player made "planets" that could be made at any coordinate and built into a space station though. That would work and could serve as a potential pirate raiding for generated based stations as well. The terraforming might even be tailored to accommodate space station construction.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  16. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

The way 2d games work isn't the same as 3d games. The very oversimplified version is this.
    With 3d games it is all about your GPU drawing triangles. The 2d version is loading image files. And that doesn't get into the amount and complexity of simulation occurring. Dwarf Fortress has ascii graphics and still uses plenty of CPU because the level of simulation is insane. Plus you get into things like pre-compiled versus scripted(Starbound is a combination of the two).

People assume that the graphics level is the sole determining factor... people are sorely mistaken.

I complete agree with this. Although I've never heard of a "multi-core enhancer" before somehow. Maybe I've been living under a rock. It is what... trying to make game use multiple cores that they where never designed to use? I don't think that would work well at all because you'd need to do an insane amount of data transfer between cores that would pretty well negate the benefits or so I assume. And that's before considering all the ways things could break.

I don' think this will ever happen. It would require a completely different ship system than now. Everything is blocks and objects. Your ship is a "world" in and of itself. So they'd need to start over completely on this.

Besides the huge undertaking involved, we'd have another ship wipe. Thus all the stuff on your ship... gone. Honestly I don't expect they'd do any more wipes post-release. People might expect that sort of thing in alpha/beta, but not released games.

That's close to my system(a bit aged at this point)

Windows 7 Ultimate
    AMD FX8120 8-core 3.1GHz(I could overclock but... meh)
    16GB RAM
    GeForce 560 Ti 2GB(I think it was 2GB... or was it 1.5?)
    9800GTX(secondary PhysX card that I'm pretty sure SB doesn't utilize)

1600 x 1200 resolution(yes that's 4 : 3 and yes I still use CRT monitors)
    I have no lag to speak of. Also I wish SB wasn't capped at 60FPS. Trying to be consistent for the eventual console release?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Axe Garian and DraikNova like this.
  17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

This.

In Dwarf Fortress, the biggest rig buckles under the might of the Nuclear Catsplosion, yet in a game like Fallout¹ a realtime rendered nuclear explosion could very well run at max speed, including all sorts of distortion effects and whatnot. In Starbound, when they hadn't optimized the water yet, I could run the whole thing at a reasonable speed but the hylotl mission was slideshow city. Before they optimized the Lua context switching, areas with a lot of scripted things like the outpost with all its NPCs was.... not quite library tier, still playable, but slow.

Indeed, none of these things have shit all to do with how beefy your graphics card is. And yes, PhysX is unused.

¹: I have never played any Fallout game at all and do not know if any of them contain realtime rendered mushroom clouds. You know what I mean, okay?

Axe Garian and DraikNova like this.
  18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Kawa : You never played Fallout 3?

You missed out on some serious fun. The game took place in the "Capital Wasteland" (aka, DC and its nearby environs) and there were hundreds of old broken down cars laying around, and most of them had intact nuclear engines.

Shoot at these cars enough and they would get set on fire. Wait long enough and they'd go off like a small nuclear bomb.

It was pretty cathartic and humorous to explode every single car you came across, especially stupid raiders that would build their camps around such cars. I remember seeing a raider camp in an abandoned car dealership. I got a silenced weapon, and shot one of the cars until it caught fire and then watched about 10 cars go in a domino explosion which killed all the raiders, haha.

But yes, the Mushroom Clouds are very rendered. In fact, when an explosion happens nearby there's lots of blurring effect, the UI shakes a little for a few seconds and your point-of-view (this is an FPS game) is forced to look slightly away for a second as it shakes and the sound effect is just awesome.

Relevant Video:

But yeah, anyways back on topic... it's kinda sad to see we got people who worship graphics cards thinking that the graphics cards (and in-game graphics!) are the be-all and end-all of a game and how well it should play.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

...YEEEP, okay thanks for proving my point, @Xylia.

Axe Garian likes this.
  20. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

There are ways to get around that. The battles could be a kind of minigame, using a sprite for the ship that depends on the playerrace and upgradestate of the ship.