Dev Blog 26th April - Some Assembly Required

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

While I really enjoyed Xenogears back in the day, the way they did fuel is.... well I've got two minds about it. I appreciate the ingenuity and the attempt at making something new, but yet the fuel thing really made Gears seem weak, especially very late-game when you started running into the intense need for Frame Repairs (because of, yanno, bosses that take you to 1 HP and what not). It felt very limiting.

However...

I suppose we could use something of the sort here in Starbound, dunno how they'd implement that... I just don't really understand the short time limits. I'm sure there are surely better mech parts that give you longer times, but like I said, even 10 minutes would sound too short IMO, especially without a map or something to tell you where the space station (or other P.O.I.) IS. And what happens if you run out of time? Does the mech just go poof, or do you drop like a rock (last I checked, space still has gravity)?

I like the idea of mechs, it's just the time limit... there always seems to be some limitation that kills the fun of something, something that would be truly awesome otherwise. The ridiculous damage mechanic on vehicles where you gotta go hauling back to the outpost every few hits or you risk losing your vehicle entirely, or perhaps the tenants which give you rent... but most of the time, they give you stupid junk like random fruits AND you need to build on hostile planets to get worthwhile rewards which seems counter-intuitive.

Could we get something, sometime, that's awesome and doesn't have crippling limitations?

I suppose, though, there's always mods. I'm sure an expanded (or infinite!) fuel mod will crop up, probably on the first day of release. lol.

STCW262 likes this.
  2. Knusperkruste

Knusperkruste Subatomic Cosmonaut

oohhh that looks grrreeaatt....i cant wait for that update...

but "costume armor" slots for the legs, torso and thrusters is a must have for individualization of the mechs (except there are parts with the same stats but different looks)

and i really really hope that the mechs arent space only...

DraikNova likes this.
  3. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

That just doesn't work with a "La Cucaracha" horn. Gotta have the lowrider legs. 'cause the low-ri-der is a little higher.

Shaggyd0g and M_Sipher like this.
  4. DarkBirdo

DarkBirdo Phantasmal Quasar

I have some things to say:
    1-What? Honking in space? Is that a radio horn? I doubt it would be louder than my laugh when I saw it.
    2-Do something about the AI of NPCs I am a bit tired of having NPCs walking into lava and dying.
    Although I chuckle a bit.:nuruevil:
    3-Do the mechs recharge all by themselves or do we have to look for fuel?
    Keep up with the good work, you're on the right way.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

If there isn't a mod that has the " la Cucaracha" horn within a week I'll be weeping the for the future of this mod community. :)

But I'm really liking this. Is this new space faring content going to affect asteroid planets in some way?

The perfect defense against these: low clearance tunnels. Good luck getting these into a door. Or fending off the baddies with you large hitbox.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Heck, the main weakness of the XS and ZZ mechs is that most of them can't aim down far enough to hit an enemy at the mech's feet.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  7. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Considering that both the Rho and the Theta's rail gun can shred through terrain like cutting through paper, no that would not work

That's why the Theta has the Grenade launchers and the Rho has that explosive round hip turrets.

8. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Could you add a coding hook that allows for a music override when driving a mech? I'd love to drive around to the Tank Theme from Star Fox 64 or the vehicle music from G.I.Joe for the NES.

MongooseCalledFred, Lintton and Kawa like this.
  9. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

But who needs doors when you can make your own?

10. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

LOL how do you know :)

11. bloodsplatBOOM

bloodsplatBOOM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wonder if NPCs would be able to use mechs... I mean, I highly doubt it'll be possible, but if so then it would probably be AWESOME.

12. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

I support high level enemies like bosses or mech pilots using mechs.

baconsama25 likes this.
  13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, like a super-high reward type of randomly generated quest could have you fight an enemy in a mech.

14. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

We are feeding you [strike]comedy[/strike] mechanical gold here, chuckie-fish. Hope you are listening.

15. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]

Shockhopper MK1, this penguin already uses mechs (Bad idea to underestimate this penguin xD) :nurutease:

16. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

I'm thinkin' it might be a little late to complain about the physics of a game where you can construct your own floating islands, and in which open space has gravity to the extent that there is a discernible "down".

DarkBirdo likes this.
  17. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Penguin....mech....pirates...space...pirates...spacepirates...penguin....spacepenguinpiratemechs? o.o

~ Iris ~

steelwing likes this.
  18. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Internal and logical consistency is more important in most cases than consistency with reality. The argument that because block physics cannot/are not done in a manner similar enough with reality that other features also do not have to correspond with reality is, simply, flawed.

The idea of a horn is nice though, even if it wouldn't be possible in real life, because similarly to the above, fun trumps reality too.

19. DarkBirdo

DarkBirdo Phantasmal Quasar

You're right, but as long as we have fun.

20. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I'm bracing for a wipe here. An overhaul this big won't come without one. Will it be possible to migrate our planet files into the new universe? I wouldn't think already-generated systems would have any cool space stuff, but if the galaxy's layout stays the same, then I should be able to copy my planets into the new directory, right? RIGHT? I've spent way too much time to start over again.