Dev Blog 3rd February - Painted Love

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I think it'd be just fine without screens. I mean, they already have the stuff needed to make the gravity thing possible, all they need are rotatable players.
    Oh wait, we've got that too.

CHUCKLEFISH! WE NEED SOME SUPER MARIO GALAXY STUFF UP IN THIS BIZ!

2. 5future

5future Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Holy molly!!! now we can paint them!! hell yeah!! Now i will be able to conquer the galaxy like one of those anime/manga/tokusatsu mechas!! keep going like this devs, things like this makes games outstand!!

3. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, I was only referring to the zero-G environment that @Titanium mentioned... I think even without rotating screen, multi-directional jetpack and zero-G should suffice? It's possible to be made in this engine without requiring tons of work...

4. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Gravity and multi directional jetpacks should be no problem....I would enjoy seeing them in the game too and not just from mods. But zero-g is trickier.....simply not applying diectional acceleration doesn't mean you stop....in fact you would never stop or slow down unless you hit something or applied opposite acceleration yourself....and if you managed to stop you'd sit still at any point in space. Not sure the game can easily cope with that since it's an entirely different set of movement rules where trying to go left doesn't necessarily mean you go left but that you go right at an increasingly slower rate until you stop and then you can finally start actually going left.....that and the possibility of simply sitting still midair at any given point.

5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Ideally, in a zero g environment, you'd be supplied with tools to deal with that. Namely, walljump proving its usefulness in 0G, and probably variants on the rocket spear for movement. Oh, and grappling hook. Ooh! And movement based attacks. Perhaps even other ways to get around as well. Those hoverjeeps wouldn't work well, but maybe with a modifier that makes them stick to surfaces like wall jump?
    Just some ideas.

6. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

The gravity is already implemented; you can access it with a cheat, /setgravity <value> I think. You can even get negativ gravity. There also is a cheat tech (camera tool I think) that essencially is a multidirectional jetpack, combined with wallclipping. The part that the engine doesn't do is indeed the rotational screens.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, the only thing the game can't handle in terms of gravity is gravity in directions other than up or down and multiple gravity wells (i.e. different parts of the game area having different amounts of gravity). The first could probably be added relatively easily, the second I'm not so sure about. I mean, in principle the game could check the position of an object in calculating the acceleration, but that might be very difficult to add in at this point and could potentially increase lag massively.

8. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

Oh man, I was so disappointed when mechs got pulled, but I'm so glad you guys are delivering and giving us a real experience with them. There was so much room for improvement. Yet again, CF is delivering. Great work guys & gals.
    [​IMG]

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

There's an image from the main site that hasn't been posted in the updates, but is shown as the preview on the main site:
    [​IMG]

10. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I'm just *really* itching to see just how customizable these will be! Can't wait to check them out when this hits unstable!

11. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Are they still doing unstable? I thought they stopped the whole nightly and unstable thing when 1.0 released and reverted to more traditional development where stuff releases and bugs are ironed afterwards in later patches.

12. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I thought they did for 1.1 and 1.2, but I could be mistaken >_<

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Basically correct.

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Things that don't seem to be customizable, based on currently known images:
    • The shoulder pad type
    • The color of those little circular grooves in the shoulder pads (always yellow and red)
    • The color of the little glowing orb in the middle of this style of mech cockpit (always orange)
    • The color of the little piping bits on this style of mech body (always dark grey)
    • The foot type

15. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

You know what beats customisation?
    Nothing, really. Love the update already.

Lodish likes this.
  16. Twin9aa

Twin9aa Void-Bound Voyager

Make stardew valley multiplayer plz :meowlcome::lickitung::poo::poke::kitten2:

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

This thread is for discussing Starbound, not Stardew Valley. Please don't go off-topic.

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It may be off-topic, but I happen to know they're working on it ;)

19. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

These mechs look amazing! I'd love to see some new environments where they are required to actually survive, even with really good gear already.

Will there be mining attachments for them? I really hope you can put some huge matter manipulators / drills on them for doing large scale mining or landscaping

I'd also like to see those kaiju monsters come back, or giant monsters in general! Really looking forward to this update!

20. CatPaw11

CatPaw11 Space Hobo

PLease let us chosse our races ship

DarthTrethon likes this.