Dev Blog 9th May - Bless This Spess

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 9, 2017.

1. Caaros the King of Chaos

Caaros the King of Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

Well, what should we be harvesting to prepare? I want to be as ready as possible.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Speaking of acquiring ridiculous amounts of resources, I've decided to kill four birds with one stone and mine out a planet-stretching tunnel below the surface of my Tier 2 colony with my bulldozer. An excellent source for tons of tungsten (which I'm constantly running out of; I have an addiction to the wall panel blocks), the potential for expanding my colony easily, a way to make significant progress towards the destroyer of worlds achievement and a way to finally use up all that damn glass I've accumulated. For crying out loud, I've got about 40k of the stuff. A 4000 block wide planet and an approximately 10 block tall tunnel (I don't remember the bulldozer's height) mean I can finally use it up.

That, and if the wall panel backgrounds are any indication, space stations will be needing tungsten anyway. Although I hope they use synthetic material too. That stuff has way too few uses at the moment. I mean, tier 5 armor sets, a fishing rod and a healing item.

3. The First Nova

The First Nova Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are we getting some fps improvements too?

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

From what I know, each update brings minor or major optimizations. I definitely noticed an improvement with 1.2. If you're having major FPS issues, I recommend typing "/admin" in the chat, then "/fullbright" (this stops Starbound from having to calculate all the shadows and lighting, which a: makes a big difference in FPS as far as I've noticed, especially when at the outpost and b: while potentially feeling kinda cheaty since you can see all the ores and chests, makes playing a lot more relaxing since you don't have to worry about looking for those things that much anymore) then "/admin" again.

Kawa likes this.
  5. Cinder

Cinder Void-Bound Voyager

I just wish they'd do unstable like they used to, but I get we have to be patient.

6. NovaJ

NovaJ Sandwich Man

I wonder if we will get airlocks in our ship to exit into space... I also wonder if we'll be able to dock our ship instead of the mech? All of this is so exciting hopefully I can fix my starbound in time

7. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i Wonder if you can add so when we sit in Chairs and benches i can use instruments and Food. anyone know if its a mod for that, if not, can you devs consider adding that? id really like sitting by a Campfire playing tunes i like while waiting for night to pass by

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I second this so hard.

9. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah. Especially if boarders come on your ship/station. You just.. Turn around and pistol them to death while calmly on your chair.

10. Devvie_K

Devvie_K Space Hobo

Plase tell me the contents of today's update :nuruhype:

11. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

not guns, only guitars and Music thingys

Kawa likes this.
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

What update? I don't see any update :nurunega:

HachiYakumo likes this.
  13. DBGhasts101

DBGhasts101 Void-Bound Voyager

Some Questions:
    • If you get to choose where you want to put your station, would I be able to build one orbiting a planet or moon, or would it just be limited to around the star?
    • About this update in general: If you're going to have some space stations in systems by default, could we see some overrun space dungeons with epic loot? Also, if you can interact with other AI ships, will you add ship-to-ship combat?
    • Would I have to reset my universe folder for this to work? (Or would it automatically be reset?)

DragonsForce likes this.
  14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Or, option three: it's automatically upgraded instead of reset.

15. redninja555

redninja555 Void-Bound Voyager

This sort of system concerns me, I'm a builder, and I really hope we won't be completely confined to the modules in the game, I want to build massive structures in a variety of designs and something really unique. I hope that it will be possible for me to build my space station with as much freedom as possible, as I have built cities and bases on planets in the past. If not, It is likely that I won't really pay this feature much interest. It would be a real shame if the devs don't implement a way to deviate from the modular system, as I am quite inspired by the idea of building in truly open space. I may be missing something, but hopefully builders can still have some fun with these new stations.

Blevruz likes this.
  16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

So, am I the only one hoping we get more than just the default theme version of the new rail cars and stops metadept showed off? At the very least I hope we get a rust version as well. Rust works so well for Floran and foundry stuff, among other things.

17. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

Though the main pain about updates is waiting on mods to update to the newest version.
    Cause I know certain mods that I use makes ship travel longer.

18. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can I has nightly?

19. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

That's what asteroids are for if you wan t big open space building

20. Cinder

Cinder Void-Bound Voyager

I just want Novakid lore damnit. Stop ignoring one of your main races.