Anyone Like This Game?

Discussion in 'W:R General Discussion' started by HedgeFlanders, Nov 2, 2013.

1. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

I've heard a ton of bad things about this game so I keep looking at it, but never purchase it.

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

You can try the demo here!
      http://wanderlustgame.com/play.php

Be aware that the game is simplified during the first 3 chapters, it's much funner in the last chapters.

• FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

The main thing about the bad things said about this game is that the people who write the bad stuff have not played the game in its entirety. They stop giving it a chance once it:
        a) Gets too hard for them.
        b) Can't find enough people to play.
        c) Get bored with it (often from the former two)
        d) Feel that they beat it too quickly and easily, when they have not yet touched PvP, crawl, and/or epic mode.

Those that have stuck with the game until the endgame unanimously love it. I don't think it's just coincidence. But you'll have to be your own judge. I for one love this game.

Juice Box and ImmortalFrog like this.
        • Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Eh, I stayed till the end and did all that stuff, and I can say this game is mediocre at best.

The coding is sound, the graphics are nice, but it mostly strikes me as meh. Not bad. Not great. Just meh :/
          Bring friends if you want to enjoy this game. I found by far the best part of this game was the folks I played with.

• SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman Orbital Explorer

The biggest problem I have with this game is the inability to move diagonally. It feels really awkward and broken as a result. My girlfriend feels the same way.

• d2king10

d2king10 Guest

But you can move diagonally...

Hugt, Rekalty, Crye and 3 others like this.
              • mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

I bought a 4 pack of wanderlust ages ago, but I only played it for a few hours, I definitely consider it a fun game! (what I played of it anyway) I'll probably go back to it sometime, none of my friends will play it with me though (don't feel bad, it's not really their cup of tea and they're heavy FPS gamers.)
                Keep up the rad work! :coffee:

• BlaXun

BlaXun Pangalactic Porcupine

Bought 3 copies today. For me, my girlfriend and my brother.
                  Gonna have a good time with it. Watched some streams... it looks like a lot of fun. Its on steam with a 69% discount right now...its a steal. You cant possible go wrong with it.

Nymz likes this.
                  • Hasaosan

Hasaosan Big Damn Hero

i have no problem with this game. i just think the devs are thieves.... they forced everyone to rebuy the game when steam came out instead of doing what all other indie devs did and provide the keys free to people who already own the game.... so as far as im concerned they wont be getting any sells from me on any of their games they make after this 1.

Hansuke likes this.
                    • BlaXun

BlaXun Pangalactic Porcupine

Doesn't make them thiefes .... but I get your point.

• pjsb1

pjsb1 Void-Bound Voyager

They didn't force everyone to rebuy the game... I've had this game since it came out on the original platform. Why would i have to rebuy it?

• d2king10

d2king10 Guest

Hey now, being called thieves is a pretty bold accusation, especially since we spent a lot of time troubleshooting and working with the fans to make sure their experience with the game is fun. We specifically made sure the non-Steam/Steam versions of Wanderlust: Rebirth (WR) were completely compatible with each other. We released WR a year before we got word that we would be allowed on Steam (in fact we only found out about a month before we launched on Steam). Players can play non-Steam versions with Steam versions online easily.

We never marketed saying we would give 2 keys for the price of one (which is essentially what you are asking, you want a free Steam key with your regular game purchase), so you should not assume that any developer will do that. I cannot go out and buy a PS3 game and expect a free PC/Xbox version of the game, and gamer's shouldn't expect developers to fork over additional keys either. It is only hurting the indie developers in the long run by expecting it, when those are the ones that need the most support. Why is it okay for you to blatantly judge and slander us on our business choices when you got the product you were promised, a game.

Some developers offer a Steam key with a non-Steam purchase, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. We talked in great detail about this when we were first launching on Steam, and we made sure the two versions were playable with each other or we would have offered the Steam key with purchase.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw my two cents in. We value all of our fans, but no where does it say a game developer is obligated to give out free keys with any purchase, so you shouldn't expect it, just be happy when they decide to do it.

• Hasaosan

Hasaosan Big Damn Hero

To sum it up simply... all indie devs give steam keys when their game goes to steam because simply they dont want someone to buy the same game over and over for the SAME platform (pc)... being as i bought your game on desura (which i highly regret) i have had nothing but problems with it... and tbh i have had to pirate the game to be able to even run it because running my legit copy threw desura doesnt work.... so in other words desura is a POS and then to demand people rebuy your game after having to buy from there is blatant theft. thats like saying "here buy our game... ohh sorry that 1 isnt good and doesnt work well but you can rebuy our game on this way better platform and get the game to actually work."

simply put again i dont like having to resort to piracy just to play a game i already paid my hard earned money for because it was put on a system thats more flawed then the game im trying to play... and desura wouldnt refund me.

tho i will be fair and say the game itself is very fun... tho hard at times solo but alot funner then most titles ive seen.

And btw no dev has to say it but with indie devs its pretty much an unspoken rule.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
                            • Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

Hasaosan, I appreciate you taking time to tell us your thoughts here. It's unfortunate, in this specific case, that we do not agree.

However, I can assure you that we had no ill-intent when we made the decision not to award Steam keys to the thousands of players who had purchased Rebirth prior to our launch on Steam.
                              • If you have the Desura version, then you can simply download our demo, copy your characters out and put them in the fresh download, add Wanderlust.exe to your Steam Library and the experience will be virtually identical. The only difference is that you won't be earning Steam Achievements/Cards.

With all that said, we talked for long hours on whether we ought to give out Steam keys and came to the conclusion that the best option was not to do so. I wish I could recall our entire conversation and the reasoning behind our decision for you but- quite frankly - if you are going to continue to make the argument that "All indie developers ought to give out free Steam keys when their game is accepted to Steam (or Greenlit)", you're going to have to cite a stronger premise than "Everyone else is doing it". Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
                                Kexy Knave and Rekalty like this.
                              • Hasaosan

Hasaosan Big Damn Hero

Ok then i shall list what you just said. I infact do NOT get all the content of the game i paid for. "Steam Achievements/Cards" are content i'm missing out on. You as an indie dev should know that not everyone can pay money for a game and then rebuy that game. some of us hardly get to buy games at all. heck if i had the spare cash to buy wanderlust a second time... id have a better starbound badge then i do now :( since they are gonna revolutionize sandbox genre. and the "its because everyone else is doing it" isnt my excuse for being pissed. its because its a respect thing. you did not infact have your game on steam for those of us who love steam and we chose to still fund your game by buying it early instead of waiting and holding the cash that helps you guys as devs continue to develop your game and pay your bills. so you guys should show the same fairness to those who want their game on steam to not have to rebuy the game.

also i said your game was good.. it was 10$ (or was it 15$ not sure if i got it on sale or not) its not 20-30$ good tho. add some open world and maybe :p

Leth likes this.
                                • Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

Needless to say... we'll make every effort in the future to ensure that Steam users will have an opportunity to buy our games at launch. =P

Kexy Knave, jpreynaga and Bandethor like this.
                                  • Camelslayer

Camelslayer Cosmic Narwhal

I would just like to ask you one thing-

Did you even bother trying to contact them for help about your issue with Desura, or did you simply decide to draw the "THE DEVS ARE THIEVES" conclusion without even bothering contacting anyone at all for assistance?
                                    'Twould be something to try before instantly going down that route.

Active Link, Crye and BlaXun like this.
                                    • SHODANFreeman

SHODANFreeman Orbital Explorer

I certainly can't with my gamepad. I can guarantee that it wasn't allowing us to do so.

Also, about the Steam keys, it doesn't affect me because I only have the game through Steam in the first place, but why would giving out keys for games that people already purchased that Steam gives you for free be a bad thing? People just want to have all their games in one place, and it costs you nothing other than a tiny handful of theoretical piracy, and gains you tons of good will from your community. There's really no compelling reason NOT to give people a Steam key, imo.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
                                      • d2king10

d2king10 Guest

What is stopping them from taking that free key and giving it to a buddy of theirs? It is 'costing' us something in the long run, especially since the two games are identical.

This isn't even mentioning the whole method of actually getting the Steam key to users who purchased WR (non-Steam) since the accounts aren't stored on our servers for online play (reflectgames.com). I assure you there was never any ill-intent with this decision, we honestly thought WR would never get on Steam, and at the time of launching, indie titles were just blowing up in the gaming scene.

I can assure you that we had no bad intentions with the decision, there are just a lot of factors that ultimately led to our decision.

Also, its possible the gamepad you were using isn't openly supported with Game Maker engine. If that is the case, it will only recognize certain key presses. Not much we can do about it except to recommend using a different game pad.

Cheeseball likes this.
                                        • Cheeseball

Cheeseball Aquatic Astronaut

With the new Steam integration that Humble Bundle has, it should alleviate this problem. Although I haven't really tested if it's possible to change the assigned Steam account in the Humble Store account to another Steam user and then revert it back.