1. If you need help with your pre-order or technical support for Starbound, please use the support forum instead. Do not post Starbound-related things here.

Community Ask A Moderator!

Discussion in 'General Forum Help' started by Izzabelle, Apr 25, 2016.

1. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

i really like a lot of music, but my favourite artist is Igorrr :) specifically this album

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

lets see if more people flock back if I ask another question :D

If you could have 1 meal just before you died, what would it be?

*Summons Moderators*

@The | Suit
    @Jonesy
    @rhomboid
    @Izzabelle
    @Dunto

If I forgot you I'm sorry. Don't hurt me :c

3. Pepperoni Pizza. Absolutely.

Hel likes this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Maybe a good chicken parmigiana. I love a good chicken parmigiana.

We can, but it's not something we can undo. You sure you want to do it?

5. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

:mad: buffet

6. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

(ง’̀-‘́)ง

Mac n' cheese tbh, though.

7. PinkieCube

PinkieCube Big Damn Hero

Why I get the "502 Bad Gateway" ?

8. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The Dev's are doing some maintenance work on the forums - it will keep happening time to time till they are done.

9. PinkieCube

PinkieCube Big Damn Hero

And why I don't get a request to leave the forum server
    if it are maintenance work on the forum server?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

From the records - it seems you were asked repeatedly not to repost content, which you did any way.
    Decided not to listen to a moderator request and were banned- then tried to appeal your ban and told the moderator to, "Fudge Off" ( words changed to be more appropriate )

With a history of breaking rules - not listening to moderation staff - I am not really seeing any remorse for past actions.

11. HarmonicRev

HarmonicRev Subatomic Cosmonaut

Which moderators play good cop and which ones play bad cop?

12. Hel

Im a good cop X3

Inf_Wolf14 and Arra like this.
  13. You were banned for re-posting content that had already been moderated (locked or deleted content and/or deemed inappropriate). That's against the Steam R&G.

You attempted to appeal and decided insulting moderation was the best way to go about it. If you did take your issue to Molly -- she would have been privy to all of this. If she took no action; then your appeal has been rejected. Sorry.

You should continue to take this up with current moderation (if you want) via PM -- as this thread is not for specific issues regarding bans and such. It's more or less a low-key AMA for moderators & the community.

14. Merithor

Merithor Pangalactic Porcupine

For any of the Moderators to answer:

What is something you would never do, but if doing it gave you a set amount of money based around it, would you do it?
    (Ie: Severity of thing like stealing Izzabelle's Candy and throwing it off a bridge is 20$) you're the last person to respond to the thread, you get picked on. <3

But you don't have to give a specific answer, yes or no will suffice.

15. No one was waiting for you. This may come as a shock to you -- but I have better things to do with my time than wait around for you or anyone else when I was a moderator. All of moderation consists of volunteers. Which means moderating the Starbound community still comes 2nd in our lives.

I remember your case though -- you made several back to back posts that were irrelevant to their topics. When these were moderated to reduce spam -- you continued with renewed inappropriate zeal. Ultimately leading to you breaking all of the aforementioned rules. And this was AFTER you had already been temp banned for similar behavior. You got your warning, then committed yourself to breaking the same rule and a few new ones. Sorry you couldn't follow the rules even after you got another chance. But you kind of only have yourself to blame for that.

Also -- we wouldn't post your posts-in-question here. That's between you and moderation privately or you and your appeal process privately. Your ban message -- which Steam autosends on permanent bans -- details the post in which you were banned for. I wouldn't be able to provide them anyways since I don't have those powers anymore. But I'm sure they would be relatively easy to find if I did.

Maybe. But I was just direct and blunt. Context is difficult on the internet -- I kept my interactions thorough and clear not as a means to be instigating or condescending -- but to keep clear about what is happening in the moment. Had you reached out to me appropriately without bringing any prejudice -- I'm sure you would have seen that.

But even if you're 100% right, and I was a total jerk to you -- it's irrelevant to your actions (which I did NOT force upon you). I can tell you right now that the biggest problem Moderation has had with the Starbound community has been this specific mentality; just because someone is a jerk -- does not give you any basis to be a jerk in kind. Doing so quite literally enforces the notion that you are incapable of behaving, regardless of the situation.

And if you ever felt moderation was the cause of grief -- you would definitely get nowhere by breaking rules as an open act of some sort of rebellion. That quite literally just makes everything harder on you, cause you then literally force moderation to actually do their job -- which is to warn/ban/moderate rule violations. Specifically the rule violations you'd be inciting as a means of protest. You would/should instead report the moderator in question to the CM, Molly, and provide your reasoning and evidence. Something you can also do in any appeal as well.

I love this one. This is my favorite scapegoat reasoning. I got to hear it dozens of times since my first day as moderator. I've explained it before, but I'll explain it again.

Report it. Remember -- moderation consists of volunteers -- moderation is under 0 obligation to go through every new post and every new thread. And if they were obligated to do so -- there's simply not enough moderators to accomplish that feat across all social outlets. A LOT of stuff will be missed. Which is why you must report rule violations so that moderation may take action.

I can tell you right now that Moderation tends to sign on -- check the reports -- and then continue with whatever activity suits them. Suit, for example, spends his time around the modding forums. He is definitely not checking every single new post and thread all the time. But if you make a report, assuming Suit is online, he WILL see the report. When moderation does handle reports, there's also a tendency to go a few posts back to investigate context. But if no report is made, the violation will likely go unnoticed. I, myself, have caught a few instances where there have been entire pages of rule violations that went unreported -- which I then dealt with. I can only extrapolate how many violations actually go unreported on a daily basis.

I was once attacked with this claim of targeted bans when I took care of Steam -- when I asked that the "ignored" violations be reported so that I could attend to them I received 0 new reports from those complaining. Not to say that there weren't violations that I didn't see that needed reporting and moderation -- but this sort of claim is usually used not to complain about the failures of moderation, but to target moderation with claims of bias behavior specifically. It served these people better to keep around un-moderated posts so that they could enforce their opinion that moderation must be heavily biased. If they reported the post, they might accidentally allow us to show everyone otherwise. It's pretty frustrating from a moderation perspective, and as I said -- moderation simply doesn't have the manpower to cover everything -- so it's not like they're readily able to fix the issue.

Also remember that just because someone isn't banned, it doesn't mean moderation took 0 action. A lot of us actually went out of our way to contact many members of the community who were reported to make sure a ban wasn't necessary. Their warnings often happened in private messages or private chats. Sometimes people are banned and their appeal yields results -- and they are unbanned relatively quickly. A lot of Starbound Moderation actually happens in private and behind the scenes.

As a group, Moderation is publicly seen as biased and ban-happy. But that's because a lot of the reasonable and amicable stuff happens in private.

==================================

Sorry if you've been tied to misconceptions until now. But unless Molly, herself, has something else to say -- it seems like your time on Steam is a closed book. If you're still looking to be part of the SB community though -- you do still have your forum account clearly. So I would learn from your mistakes and set a better example here.

In fact -- between you and me -- your behavior here is probably the BEST possible means of reopening your Steam case and having your appeal go through. Blaming me or moderation isn't going to do a damn thing. But if you own up to your actions and take responsibility -- and show that your activity here can be a positive experience... You'll likely be given another chance after some time. Moderation is not so set and stone that you would be denied this. Usually, though, people tell moderation to F off and are never heard from again.

But as I said before -- this thread really isn't the place for this sort of discussion. I highly recommend moving on, or taking the discussion up with current moderation privately. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

16. Hel

@QuadX This isn't really the place to discuss this. If there's anything you want to know about the ban given please message Molly.

This post is for members to ask us questions to get to know us just a little bit more. Not about bans from Steam. Please do not derail this post.

@Izzabelle is right, for a dork

Izzabelle likes this.
  17. Arra

Arra The End of Time

OOH! OOH! I HAVE A QUESTION!

* clears throat*

What is your favorite video game and why! To all the moderators!

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Thief II: The Metal Age. Gameplay-wise it's an improvement over the original, despite still being a bit clunky. But the real drawcard is the level design, setting and atmosphere. The levels vary in size, but there are some massive ones with loads of detail to boot. The steampunk side of the series' steampunk medieval setting gets more exploration both in terms of aesthetic and the plot. And a combination of the visual design and music makes the world a joy to move through at times.

Arra likes this.
  19. Hel

The one game that really calls me thinking of this is Resident Evil 4.

Its the only game I have purchased on more than one gaming platform (Wii, Xbox 360 and PC) and each time I play it I love it. Its got a great story with memorable characters. Its got the Resident Evil feeling to the game: it keeps you on your toes about what could be around the next corner, even if it is the 20th time you are playing the game.

My dad bought the game years ago on the Wii, (yes, back when then Wii was popular) and ever since its always been one of those games where you can play it a lot, and carry on playing.

The story is great too. You have to save the daughter of the president all while killing all the Zombies, saving yourself and finding a cure for the virus planted inside you and the president's daughter.

I could ramble on and on about it, but I think I'll leave it at this for now. Don't wanna bore nobody.

Arra likes this.
  20. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

What's the deal with the Nuru emojis or the Nuru obsession in general? I've been wondering about this for a while, and, well this is
    download (5).jpg