1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Ask Laurence (Old Messy Thread)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vurrunna, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Even more doodly-dudes, because they're super easy to make:
    Thomas Doodles.png
    Thomas, a polite and kind boy from a good family, raised on good values and good manners.
    Cecil Doodles.png
    Cecil, a quiet yet intelligent boy who enjoys playing games with his two friends, learning new things, and fiddling with electronics with his father.

Fenna, Thomas, and Cecil are all three friends, and have the common trait of not getting along with any other kids (hence their friendship). The three of them go on many adventures together in their country-side town of Unity, from exploring the woods to plotting schemes in their treehouse. Of all their games, none is greater than the heroic tale in which they all participate, Fenna as the auspicious hero, Thomas as the nefarious villain, and Cecil as the incredible scientist who is the key to freedom or tyranny across the cosmos. Typical kids game stuff.

All three characters come from wildly different backgrounds: Fenna's parents are divorced, and she's been mostly raised by her single mother, who taught Fenna a thing or two about misogyny and men being pigs shortly after the divorce. Thomas comes from a very functional and loving family, being one of several adopted children and receiving a constant stream of affection from his mother and father. Cecil lives with his father, and has never met his mother, who was lost a long time ago to unfortunate circumstances.

As far as the kids are concerned, life is pretty simple (although Thomas has nightmares of bad memories from long ago, and has an inkling of what real pain is). I'll wait 'til I draw the parents to tell you about the serious stuff.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Aside from story stuff, what do you guys think of this drawing style? I like it a heck of a lot for its extreme simplicity and ease of drawing (these take me a few minutes each per image), but would rather not go trundling down a path that doesn't look very good/can't be understood (the characters have line-limbs, for example, which can cause problems with complex poses).

Any comments, criticisms, or otherwise are helpful!

Fare thee well,
    --Vurrunna

2. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Personally I like the old style a bit more, but I can see why this style would be a lot easier. I think it would help if we had a good comparison, could you do one with color, background, and some talking to see how that looks compared to the old, of which we have some examples?

Lodish likes this.
  3. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I think it looks kind of child's cartoon-y in a good way. I like it, I think it's cute.

ZAYABUCKET and Jimlad 42 like this.
  4. Vurrunna

Alright, I'm going to officially declare that any art from me will be sporadically posted as I try to keep all my cats in one box (that is to say, as I try to keep my life together to less-than-stellar results). That said, here's a peice I made for a friend:
    Competition.png

Shown on the left is Kopaka, Toa of Ice. Shown on right is me, fledgling Bionicle-acolyte (not through my own initiative, I assure you). See, my friend absolutely adores Kopaka, and has created a character based on herself to be married to Kopaka. This poses problems for me. So, here I fight off the competition.

Stay frosty,
    --Vurrunna

5. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Oh *wink wink*
    For real though I thought this kinda looked like a for honor thing, I'm glad you clarified.
    (Also lewa is best toa.)

Jareix Cryvix and Jimlad 42 like this.
  6. Vurrunna

Being entirely new to the prospect of--eugh--relationships, I'm not certain how to respond to your winking, so I'll settle for making the same strange noise I do when anyone else makes such suggestions. *Makes throat-clearing noise with a hint of frustration and even disdain at the suggestion, albeit without any clear show of denial*

Also, from what little I know of the Bionicle world (which is already more than any sane man ought, being in the company, as I am, of the world's greatest Bionicle fan [if you dare say "What's a Toa" in her presence you'll soon wonder how three hours could pass by so quickly {I'm not joking}]), I would agree that Lewa is certainly my favorite (he has a very fun way of speak-talkin'). And Kopaka is my least favorite. For obvious and not-so-obvious reasons.

Dutifully yours,
    --Vurrunna

7. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

*Smacks you on the back* Good for you! Alright. Good talk.

He did have a fun way of talking and a good character and those were bonuses, but mainly, he's green.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  8. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

Toa?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  9. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I um... don't think I know you well enough to know if you're joking or not so....
    Just in case.
    I'm certainly not giving a lecture.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  10. Apathy Applied

But I don't know what this is, I need to be educated.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

That's why I put a link in my last post. You silly robot.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  12. Apathy Applied

The only thing I know about BIONICLE is that some of them have the weird brain things.

Well, I know there's fighting or something. My knowledge on this stuff is VERY limited.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  13. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Even that isn't very specific. Like, a bunch of them have that. But alas, I don't feel like geeking out about them as Vurruna has probably heard for than enough for a lifetime.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  14. Apathy Applied

Oh well, guess I'll never know. I have had plenty of them, somehow the lore or something never reached me. *shrug* What I do know is that I've probably violated some sort of bionicle treaties the way I mad scientisted plenty of monstrosities from they're corpses. Like most of my legos, they didn't get used for their original purpose for long.

Do bionicles have treaties? Is that a lore bit?

I hope someone responds soon so I don't have to continue editing my message.

Did I ever say nice things about your art? The colors are pretty good, everything in the foreground sticks out just right. Also nice background. Also also I can tell it's a fight.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Jimlad 42 likes this.
  15. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I...I literally gave you a link. I said that like three times now. Inb4 you say something like "Reading takes effort" and I point out then how contradictory it would be for me to actually try to explain the whole thing.

Jimlad 42 and Apathy Applied like this.
  16. Apathy Applied

Your link lead to two more links, one of which lead to a wiki with the most embedded links I've ever seen on one page. I'm not ready to fall into that rabit hole.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  17. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Then you probably shouldn't try to get involved in the bionicle universe... There's a LOT of stuff to read up in.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  18. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

General concept?
    As I know literally nothing about it, and someones paraphrase is almost always better than a wiki page.

Apathy Applied likes this.
  19. Apathy Applied

Hurray for not knowing! *highfive*
    Though I'm not sure a short answer is possible.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  20. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

General Concept: A bunch of randos get chosen by destiny or some shit to save the world. They all happen to be different colors which represents the different elements and areas of the world they come from. Repeat for each generation, expect hero factory that series is fucked.

Jimlad 42 and Apathy Applied like this.