Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Neither, actually.
    It starts with this image, which I made by unpacking a few different versions of the Avali mod and then doing some sprite splicing.
    [​IMG]
    Then, I went to Silverfeelin's website, and then to the Hatter page.
    https://silverfeelin.github.io/Starbound-Hatter/
    While this does, of course, have uses for hatting, what I see when I look at it is a drawables generator with no pixel limit. So, I uploaded the image of that ship, and downloaded the resulting file. I opened it in Notepad++, and copied the important part, which was the "?replace; [...] " directive. As you can imagine, it goes on for kilometers, so I held Shift while pressing Page Down to copy the entire thing.

Then, I botted up the game, and used Spawnable Item Pack to give me a shipping container. After that, I used RexmecK's in game item editor, and scanned the container. I added a new parameter called "color". This parameter allows you to add Starbound's image processing directives to objects, which can usually only be done on clothing, and even so only using dye bottles in vanilla. I pasted in the kilometer long string of directives, which was far more than the poor little item editor was ever meant to handle, so naturally my cursor was teleporting all over the place trying to hit "save", but once I managed to do that everything was fine. I saved several copies of the container as spares, tested it, tweaked the image, redid all of that several times, then went to place down the final version.

I spawned in copper ladders, which are an unfinished platform block, no doubt meant to make use of that "climb" frames everything seems to have. Regardless, these platforms are invisible. I made a line up them a bit off the ground, and then placed the container, which projected the image of the ship while making itself invisible. I built a pillar of cobblestone up to the ship, and then spawned in matter blocks. No, not the actual matter block crafting component, but the unobtainable placeable matter block. These have the peculiarity of turning invisible when painted any color. So, I lined the floor, ceiling and walls of the ship with them, then painted everything. I put some where the thrusters are too, to be able to actually place them down since they required anchor blocks.

After that, it was a simple matter of simply placing the doors, avali shipstuff, background walls, teleporter, etc.
    Of course, this could much more simply be achieved by a mod. To understand that, you need only look at this image:
    [​IMG]
    I'm a bit surprised that you guys suggested a composite image or a working ship planetside first. Seriously, did you not consider the implications of either of those things? It would take me hours to mimic the way the booster flames light up part of the ship but hit off the matter blocks, and to have a working ship on a planet would be a massive contradiction since both are worlds themselves in the game code. It might make sense to our human brains that ships can go on planets, but to the game, that makes about as much sense as putting a planet on a planet. Ok, well, that's probably not quite exact, since you can't put down a captain's chair and fly a planet, but the general idea is there, right?

Not to mention it couldn't possibly be a working ship regardless, since, there is no such ship. It's a sprite splice of Ryuu's original glorious curved avali dropship and the T0 damaged triage avali dropship.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Firebird Zoom likes this.
  2. theminemanner2

theminemanner2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tried drawing an Avali and the is what I made. What do ya'll think? I don't draw much...
    20170804_195427.jpg

Dragonclaw and Firebird Zoom like this.
  3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I imagine that's what an avali would look like if you took an air pump and tried to inflate him like a balloon and then decapitated him.

IFailAtGaming and Firebird Zoom like this.
  4. ProfPhoenix

ProfPhoenix Void-Bound Voyager

CAn the avali whip and nae nae :avalipretty::avalipretty::avalipretty::avalibleh::catsmile::catblush::catbleh::avalicry::avail:D:

5. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well I'm living proof that the avali have the potential to become the most dangerous stick-wielders in the universe.

6. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How many avali on average would know how or are willing to use propellant-based ballistic weapons, ie. firearms that are more conventional to us? In Jiro's case it's quite a simple task thanks to his xenophilic drive, but I'm not sure about the rest of the avali populace (independent colonies as well, not just Illuminate).

7. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well it's impossible to know for the independent colonies, there might be one out there who's just using technology they stole from the Borg.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  8. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Depends.
    If it works, I'm sure they'd use them when appropriate. But chemical propellants have some disadvantages over magnetic weapons, mostly revolving around oxygen: if you take a standard M4 rifle up into space or down onto Avalon, it wouldn't fire because there's no oxygen to burn with the propellant. Avalon might have something else that allows combustion, but maybe not. Space certainly wouldn't.

9. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

False; gun propellants have always self-oxidized, even in the days of black powder. Potassium nitrate (KNO3) is a key component of black powder, serving as an oxidizer. Nitrates in general are components to all sorts of high-energy or "explosive" compounds. The main issue with guns in space would be lubrication and cooling; but that's a problem with railguns as well.

10. YellowDemonHurlr

I stand corrected. That's a useful bit of knowledge.

11. shadeus00

shadeus00 Master Chief

Hi! I am curious about the status of the various Avali mods but I don't have the time to comb through the whole forum. Could someone enlighten me please?

12. Toa_Derax

Toa_Derax Pangalactic Porcupine

Pretty much only Avali Triage and addons for that.

13. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well the avali triage still exists but the reboot is basically dead since Ryujiin mysteriously vanished into thin air, again.

14. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Cuteness warning!
    [​IMG]

How anyone could hate that face and that fluff is beyond me. You'd have to have no soul.
    Anyway, loving the fluffy space raptors. I play as one regularly. I've seen the Iubati on the Spore website. They've come a long way and are now deadly adorable, to the point where "cute Avali" is the epitome of redundancy.

15. theminemanner2

theminemanner2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think Avali are such big fans of our conventional firearms, the sound of the gunshot is dangerous to Humans and can lead to permanent loss of hearing her exposed too long, and Avali ear drums are far more sensitive to ours. Although a suppressor could be used it would have to be much better than the ones we have currently as they still produce a sound louder than a rock concert. Also, DO NOT take an Avali to a rock concert, they will never forgive you.

Edit: Don't use the frying pan in tf2 either, they hate that.

16. YellowDemonHurlr

According to the wiki, avali reflexively slacken their eardrums to prevent damage when exposed to harmful levels of noise. Setting aside that neurons may not fire fast enough to outrun the speed of sound, this prevents hearing loss (kind of like how we close our eyes when exposed to bright light--hearing is their primary sense after all) and makes them immune to flashbangs. However, I theorize that you could make sonic grenades that emit a continuous, loud tone and moderately bright light that could render an unprotected avali blind for as long as the grenade continues emitting. Ideally, make the sound outside of human hearing range, and you've got a nice stun weapon that won't cause any damage to the targets.

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

... and then you get shot down by an automated drone.

IFailAtGaming and Firebird Zoom like this.
  18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

But why would you do that to the space floofs?

19. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Because sometimes they're angry, ravenous space floofs.

20. YellowDemonHurlr

Pretty much. They are predators, and some of them can get really nasty. Like organ-harvesting levels of nasty.