Modding Discussion Avali 1.0 Reboot Discussion

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RyuujinZERO, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

>Caboose voice<
    I want to be friends with all the Avali. We could go hunting together, then play frisbee catch. We'd dance, and sing, and be great pals. Then they would take my brain and rebuild me as an Avali, then we'd all have super happy Avali times.

2. Sock of Retribution

Sock of Retribution Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can attest. We tend to be a bit xenophobic, so you have to watch out for that. I wouldn't put myself in that camp for a million dollars though.

notanaccount2 likes this.
  3. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

In this roleplay universe I have on my server, my human character (a synthetically gene-sequenced clone of me in the far future) developed an EPP augment that allows Avali to survive in hot places without much armor. He knew the possibilities that would open up, but the main reason he did so was so he could hug the Avali.

4. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Normal EPPs can do that, though. So, is he just the inventor of the EPP?

ProfPhoenix and Firebird Zoom like this.
  5. JackAfrica

JackAfrica Orbital Explorer

I have seen a lot of this, but is it ok to make mods that add new things to an existing mod? Because if it’s not than I have seen a lot of mods that are trying to improve your mod.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  6. TR-219

TR-219 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Avali mod mods? Yes, Pretty sure there was reference to it in the first page about it...

RyuujinZERO said:
    I've given Starbound some time to prove itself now it's 1.0 and, it's actually matured pretty well. While it wasn't the game I expected, it's not a bad game either and the mod to my surprise has actually retained a decent size and active community all the way through to launch (Something I was certain would dwindle, especially given Starbound over a year ago; having gone 6 months with no updates, looked like it might fail completely). I can't help feel it'd be something of a diservice to that community to then leave them hanging in the wind with an unfinished mod.

My plans moving forward are as follows:

• The triage mod should continue as it has done for now, and a big thanks to everyone who kept it playable all this time that was a lot of work I'm sure with all the various iterations to the core engine Starbound's gone through in that timeframe.

• The official mod will be a new from-scratch line of development rather than a branch of the triage mod, using the original Avali asset library. The official mod is likely to have many new features, but also streamline and cut away some of the clutter of the old mod that emerged as a need to maintain parity in older builds, but never really fitted canon, this will likely take some time to finish.

• In the long run I forsee the triage branch been broken down into a legacy mod that contains content that is cut from the official mod, since it's inevitable that some people won't be happy to see certain props/tiles/weapons removed and would like them added back in.

• Avali mod-mods will still be supported, for example the alternative Avali spacecraft mod (Which BTW, is a really awesome mod)

...now cue a bazillion questions :p

See dotpoint 4

7. RedArch

RedArch Void-Bound Voyager

So I'm rather curious as to what the latest update is to the status of the rework. I understand it will most likely take a while, but I wouldn't mind seeing what's currently up with it. The last update I saw was the large (and rather awesome looking) space ship concept art.

8. Harkky

Harkky Aquatic Astronaut

Anyone know If the reboot is still being worked on?

9. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

There has been no hint of activity for months. I wouldn't hold your breath.

10. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I'm sad to see their creator has not returned, but life is full of unexpected things around every corner.

This is a such a great mod that if you wanted to make a beloved race, you'd take cues from this one and it's successes. I'm glad to see it's still a treasure and is continuing to be maintained at all for everyone. Great job to those of you who have worked to keep it going. A lot of people are very thankful for that ^_^

11. Sock of Retribution

I think it's pretty clear at this point that I'm one of those people. :avail:D:

12. IFailAtGaming

IFailAtGaming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

he's a warframe and stellaris player, a few weeks ago there was a new stellaris dlc that added all the cool stuff™, and now plains/hills of eidolon came out... basically, we won't see him for a long time at this rate

13. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I think it's obvious he never intended to work on the avali reboot as a full-time project considering the way he refused any outside help.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  14. Sock of Retribution

There's somebody who knows Ryuu directly and talks with him occasionally. Her name is Hetuni; she's a loremaster (partly due to her position) and is a regular on the Triage Discord. Perhaps somebody should inquire to her about what's up with Ryuu.

15. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Then why haven't you already done that?

comet1337 and Firebird Zoom like this.
  16. Sock of Retribution

I currently don't have access to my computer. Didn't think to do it last weekend. :avaliconfused:

If I have already done such a thing before, it was long enough ago to the point where I forgot the answer (my memory is kind of crap, as you might have guessed) and/or said answer probably is no longer relevant.

17. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Which means you're on your phone, from where you can easily access the Discord App?
    Or are you on a public computer where it would be preferable to use the browser version??
    Like, no matter what way you put it, if you wrote that message and didn't program an advanced AI to pretend to be you, then you obviously have access to Discord.

18. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Public computers may have Discord blocked, and not all smartphones like the app.

19. Sock of Retribution

Yeah, that's pretty naïve of you to say, to be quite honest. In my case I'm not actually allowed to use Discord outside of weekends, for reasons. (Do recall that I'm 16 and dependent, at what happens to be a rather traditional household.) All my buddies on Discord know this and as such would know something's up if I were to just suddenly break house rules and open it on my desktop, as I don't have a phone. Yeah, real conservative household. I hope my situation changes soon, but it may take a while.

20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Sorry, but how could I possibly have known that? Cultural differences and all. You don't n You could just have started with the fact that you weren't allowed to use Discord. I don't have a phone at this age either, I just don't need one.

Anyways, yeah, someone should probably go on the Discord and ask. I'm in way too many servers already, though.