1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali (Triage) 1.11.0

Return of the most adorable predators this side of the universe rift

1. aBOXofTOM

aBOXofTOM Pangalactic Porcupine

i never thought about that... man, my ship must look really boring to the rest of my crew. none of them can see any of the holograms that i have plastered up everywhere.

notanaccount2 likes this.
  2. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

Are you referring to the scan text for a "block" of water? If so, my mod doesn't actually cover scanning blocks, just objects. I suppose blocks are something I could look into, but scanning blocks of material isn't necessary to the progression of the game's main plot, not to mention I'm pretty sure only races with a specific tic (Floran hissing, Glitch emotion statements) get unique scan texts for blocks.

3. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Well, the avali should describe water as lava and snow as ash, but those are really the only blocks that are remarkable to the avali, so you wouldn't need to go all out on getting custom avali scans for dirt and cobblestone.

4. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Ah, didn't realize. But yeah, I think water blocks bear special attention in this case.
    I think calling water lava and snow ash would, uh... muddy the waters, so to speak. And it doesn't make sense for a Protectorate avali who lived on Earth--they may consider water in the same way we consider lava, but water is not lava and calling it lava would just be confusing (especially since you can also encounter actual lava). My suggestion is to call it "molten water," which I think effectively conveys the water/lava connection without confusing things.

Scival likes this.
  5. aBOXofTOM

i dont think water is actually harmful to their biology. they're still carbon based life, they just use methane and ammonia instead of oxygen and water. i suppose water would be dangerous, because relative to them it's really hot, but touching just a small amount wouldnt kill them. it would just feel really warm if it was cold, or burn them if it was hot. i think they would actually think ash was some kind of snow, because they live on an iceball and are probably very familiar with snow, but it's not a volcanically active snowball, and the atmosphere makes fire impossible, so i doubt they would have a concept of what ashes are, or what lava/magma is. i think the real danger is that they breath a hydrogen/methane mix and if they get to close to an open flame they risk exploding.

6. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

7. aBOXofTOM

8. Tremendo Dude

Tremendo Dude Pangalactic Porcupine

Not sure how much active work is put into the development of this mod as opposed to the upkeep these days, but if it hasn't been mentioned yet, you guys should consider taking a look at this mod resource: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/species-clothing.4834/

I remember people back in the day wanted to consider making Vanilla clothes compatible with species with different body structures than normal, but were never able to do so with the given API. This mod apparently allows you to define a different appearance for an item based on race. If someone wanted to, they could go through Vanilla clothing and create new Avali-specific versions whose appearance would be used when Avali equip the Vanilla clothes. It'd be a lot of work depending on how many Vanilla items would be adapted to the Avali, but it'd be a great addition to the mod.

baconsama25 and Lodish like this.
  9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Good god that is excellent. I'm sure as hell going to use that for my race mod, but just imagine how much easier this would make things for all non-standard race mods. No more having to have a special crafting bench just to turn some vanilla items into race-compatible versions. That's going to give all race mods a big boost if they use it.

Tremendo Dude likes this.
  10. ChronoHyperion

ChronoHyperion Big Damn Hero

Does this mod has the ability to have an Avali crew member?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  11. Tremendo Dude

My memory's hazy, but wasn't someone working on a clothing mod for the Avali featuring remade vanilla outfits? I searched and all I could find was a collaboration page that was nowhere near done that was trying to make vanilla outfits fit on Avali.

If anyone knows anything about that, it'd be nice to dig it up, or at least dig up an example so we can test it with the new resource.

12. Workable Goblin

Workable Goblin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes. You can spawn in Avali through the tenant system by building using Avali items, and then hire those tenants in the usual way, through completing quests. I have multiple Avali crew members in my current game through this route. Additionally, you will sometimes come across Avali camps on planets, and I would assume have a chance of being able to recruit them through completing quests.

ChronoHyperion likes this.
  13. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

But do note you must use the Tailor crewmember in order to give them proper avali clothing.

jonathonspy and ChronoHyperion like this.
  14. ChronoHyperion

ChronoHyperion Big Damn Hero

Thank you for letting me know. :DD

15. Esper Furioso

Esper Furioso Void-Bound Voyager

So i found some Avali bandits for the first time. i was sad to kill them :c

16. DinoExplorer2000

DinoExplorer2000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

dont be, they would have killed you. also they were bandits, who knows who many they might have robbed or killed. also, you get stuff from killing them!

(and dont forget its ALL A GAME)

(WITH STUFF, LOTS OF STUFF)

baconsama25 and ChronoHyperion like this.
  17. Tremendo Dude

I may not be alone in expressing this, but almost every Avali chest I've ever found in generated villages and microdungeons contained nothing but Data Chits. It may be a bit excessive, considering the requirements for the data chits are pretty low already if memory serves well. I recall Ryuu did this because people were complaining about how hard it was to find Data Chits, but I think it was excessive, and it'd be really nice to see other things in the item generation pool. Things like Avali weapons, general loot (like ores), Avali crafting materials like Aerogel and Graphene, Avali weapons, maybe some Avali clothes that look good on standard body types (like scarves and wraps)? As well as data chits, of course.

It'd be nice to find Avali lorebooks as well, but that would require generating completely new content, which might be a bit too much to ask from what's essentially a legacy mod.

One thing I really like about race mods like this is the fact that even if you're not playing as the race, you can still see them included in the world. It'd be awesome if they had more return for being encountered in the world, though. Something to make encountering the Avali feel similar to encountering any other standard race, in terms of looting at least.

baconsama25 and ChronoHyperion like this.
  18. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I do still update on occasion, I just haven't been up to modding much these past few months. I've been meaning to get around to the loot pools more lately, but life and mood have both gotten in the way.

But here's the thing: Anyone can contribute to this mod. The github repository is available, and I look over every pull request that reaches it. Have a better loot pool? Fork, change, Pull request. Want to add something to the mod? Fork, change, Pull request. Feel like something could be done better? Fork, change, Pull request.

I've had it this way ever since I started managing the mod. it's ALWAYS been open for people to offer up their own changes. Historically, I've denied very few of the changes, but most of the time if I don't like something I'll simply ask that you fix it, and when I've done that and people complied, their changes have made it into the mod. You can see a list of everyone who's ever had changes that made it into the mod here.

So yes, while I myself haven't been able to get into the proper mood to do this, that doesn't mean this mod is dead, or abandoned. I'm still here, I'm still available, and code can be added by anyone.

Tremendo Dude and notanaccount2 like this.
  19. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

avaliflavour.codex
    "<todo> - Blurb about how your character intercepted a transmission from a tech cult splinter cell planning to unschackle the Oracle AI"
    avaliorigins.codex
    "One of the galaxy's better established races, the Avali are highy social pack hunters, hailing from an ammonia-rich iceball world far beyond their star's goldilocks zone.",
    "Greatly advanced, they've begun down the path towards technological singularity. However, beneath a utopian surface events threaten to spiral out of control, as certain factions seek to unleash its full potential."
    avaliprologue.codex
    "Yesterday, abandoning your pack would've been unthinkable. The silence of their absence is almost deafening, but cutting and running was your only choice, for your safety and theirs.",
    "They know you stole the schematics, they know everything that goes on within the Nexus, but if the tech cult had seen their plan to fruition and un-shackled the Oracle system, it'd be a threat not just to civilisation, but to all life in the galaxy.",
    "You're going to need to get that data to the authorities. It was lucky the ship was fuelled and ready when you stole it; unfortunately, your fuel, like your luck, has just ran out..."

So, yeah, there's not much to read there.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can also do this (make sure to point the mouse cursor near yourself):

Code:
    /admin
    /spawnnpc avali crewmembertailor
    /admin
    This gets rid of the whole "I must quest my eyeballs out and finally get a crew, but the wrong kind" mechanic.

And replace crewmembertailor with crewmembermechanic, crewmemberengineer, cremembermedic, etc. to get more crew.

---------

Anyways, that out of the way.... how has the Official Avali thing been going? I haven't heard anything about that. Just started playing a brand-new Avali yesterday, though I was mildly disappointed at not seeing an Avali mech, but I can understand if you guys are waiting for the official Avali mod... which is why I'm asking about it.