Beam Down Coordinates

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by sagenth, Jul 7, 2017.

1. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't think this has been suggested before, my search found no results. Seems like something that should have been said before though.

In starbound we have advanced spaceships capable of faster than light travel which travel vast distances at O(1) speeds (which is amazing btw), and teleporters capable of transporting your character thousands of lightyears, although usually to the planet just below. So how unrealistic is it that you can't tell it surface coordinates to teleport you to.

I'd like to see a simple system that allows the selection of coordinates to teleport to, perhaps just a slider even. On casual it might even be acceptable to add x and y coordinates to allow teleporting to under the surface, with an added danger of being trapped in rock or lava. I mainly just want to avoid planting flags to get back to settlements or dungeons. I wouldn't mind it perhaps if the flags didn't require naming, and couldn't function throughout the universe. They do though, and I don't want to go through a huge list of teleport locations, nor do I wish to actually name individual flags.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017