1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Bees! v:Unstable/Pre 1.0

A massive addition to Starbound centered around Beekeeping! +Armor, Blocks, Furniture, and tons more

1. Cactuar

Cactuar Ketchup Robot

Cactuar submitted a new mod:

Apiaries, Bees, and Honey! (WIP!) - Honey harvesting with apiaries!

Read more about this mod...

UndeadRuckus and matheod like this.
  2. Cactuar

Cactuar Ketchup Robot

matheod likes this.
  3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

This mod, as early in development as it is, sounds like it has a lot of yet-to-be tapped potential and could become a really nice mod with some more work. I'll expect you to be getting mod pack requests all the time from now on. :p

4. puffintoast

puffintoast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is fantastic, and as has been mentioned shows a huge amount of potential, when taken into consideration with the vast scope of the game. Separate worlds/biomes could lead to an astonishing variety of different bees to encounter, all of which could produce different types/grades of honeycomb or other little byproducts that could fuel a wide variety of basic needs, or even an entirely new tier of crafting. Even the presence of the bees themselves in an apiary might affect various elements of their surrounds, from simple rudimentary deterrents to intruders, to the characters wellbeing (speed of health recovery?), or even just pure aesthetics.
    Different types of bee might necessitate specific methods of capture, requiring crafting particular instruments or traps related to their biome?
    Bee breeding in apiaries is a whole world of possibilities in itself, as mods like Forestry, and it's side-projects Extra Bees/Magic Bees, etc have very well proven.
    Methods to catalogue the different types of bees is always a tremendously engaging offshoot, as well...
    I will stop for now, but I would be more than happy to offer ideas or discuss that any length if you like!
    Please keep working on this mod - it is a brilliant addition to the game!!

5. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

6. graycatgrayhat

graycatgrayhat Pangalactic Porcupine

Great content so far, waiting to try once a find the time but looks promising.

7. puffintoast

Starbooze is a great mod, but the availability of the fundamentals of the honey resource, as well as the direction the resource is taken (booze), is quite different. The meadbees are only found rarely in specific dungeons, and their product is only there to further the booze aspect of the mod itself.
    This mod, starting out simply as it has, seems to exist only for the purpose of the bees, and beekeeping themselves, which would make it quite different to Starbooze. It would be great to see both mods develop in their respective directions, as both add substantially to the base game, as mods should!
    Apiaries are also always going to be made from wood as a primary resource, despite what directions the mod may take the bee-housing aspect in in time to come. It can hardly be criticised for this, surely?

8. Psygnosis

Psygnosis Ketchup Robot

StarBooze is ways and ways better and finding resources is the coolest part in Starbound. You're more driven to explore Planets to gather the mats you need, same for the Honey, Bees, etc etc... It's just boring to have everything already served in the plate.

Now with the recent update he added the Honey Trumpets as a new resource to gather Honey. StarBooze will be a part of the vanilla game for sure, and the Honey will add more features in the game and different uses.

This mod just copy pasted what StarBooze have already introduced =)

9. puffintoast

I suppose any mod that adds a resource the same as another could be considered a copy-pasted version. I personally had hopes that with the bee catcher system idea of this mod - the exploration side, would be equally as catered to, due to the fact that you would be required to take your bee-catcher boxes to a myriad of different worlds/biomes, and place them down to slowly attract and capture local bee species. These different species would then be taken back to a central apiary to be bred and utilised to produce other, individual resources based on the type of bee, eventually leading to cross-breeding bees and the whole cornucopia of options that follows from that.
    At the moment, it's just gather flower petals, craft drones/queens at the catcher, but it would be fantastic to see that mechanism changed to allow for a huge diversity of capturing options depending on locale. Maybe even exploration to gather botanical resources to replant near the capture point, or allow further breeding in apiaries?
    There are an awful lot of possibilities. But yes, I would definitely agree if the whole point of the mod was just to produce simple honey for food, then it would seem redundant. to make another mod to do the same.
    I certainly wish I knew anything at all about scripting in lua and such - Starbound is such an amazing canvas for mods, as things like Starbooze, Industrialization, etc all prove quite readily.
    Loving the new fruit trees in the latest Starbooze, btw!

10. Cactuar

Cactuar Ketchup Robot

I've actually never downloaded or looked into starbooze, and now I'm not really interested in it. I literally just started making this mod and wanted suggestions (not attacks). Everything in it uses the base game scripts as reference. Sorry that my bee houses also use wood©
    and bees©

matheod likes this.
  11. Cactuar

Cactuar Ketchup Robot

Yeah, i'm making these mods just to learn how lua works, it's pretty fun being able to place anything you can imagine into a game! :D

matheod likes this.
  12. puffintoast

I think it's amazingly good for a first dabble! Terribly sorry if you saw anything I have said as an attack - I am sincerely hoping for the opposite effect here. It would be fantastic if you pursued this mod - there are just so many options you could expand on with it. The bee catching system is a great start.
    Really looking forward to seeing where you go with it :)

13. Mackinz

And my BetterMerchants mod uses spawners, custom NPCs, and Pixels.Therefore, my mod is a copy of SpawnBound and Your Starbound Crew and can't do anything different, right?

Wrong. Just because similar resources are used, does not mean the focus of the mod is the same.

StarBooze is a mod focused on one thing: Booze. StarBooze adds the resources necessary to expand upon the players ability to make alcoholic beverages. It includes Honey, and a way to farm it, so that the player can craft Mead, an alcohol, and get drunk. That is its only purpose.

StarBooze does not focus on expanding the idea of beekeeping, but "Apiaries, Bees and Honey!" will do so. It can add so much that is specifically related to Beekeeping that it won't even remotely resemble StarBooze by the time it is completed, and it is certainly more friendly to us who aren't interested in making booze but are interested in beekeeping. I mean, goddamn, how did StarBooze implement honey farming again? A harvestable plant that has nothing to do with Beekeeping? For fucks sake.

I know it's hard to wrap your mind around it, but the focuses of the mods are completely and totally different, even if they overlap slightly. StarBooze can go ahead and do its own thing, while @Cactuar does something nearly completely different.

blackenedbutterfly likes this.
  14. kingofcrows

kingofcrows Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm going to agree with Mackinz. While my mod does have some sort of beekeeping-ish type thing, it is not beekeeping. Its for access to honey for crafting alcohols, nothing more. I encourage the mod maker of this mod to create and expand on this already awesome idea! PM me if you need any help, too!

puffintoast, Cactuar and Mackinz like this.
  15. Cactuar

Cactuar Ketchup Robot

matheod and Mackinz like this.
  16. hashtag

hashtag Tentacle Wrangler

Oh, this seems nice! I have always liked bees. And honey. Honey is nice, and part of why we have nice things. Keep up the good work! :up:

17. Cactuar

Cactuar Ketchup Robot

Thank you very much for saying that kingofcrows!

I'll be continuing tomorrow, the easy part will be the more basic bees. I eventually want to get into direct breeding, but i would need a machine with 2 input slots to do that. Seems tricky.

matheod likes this.
  18. kingofcrows

Multiple inputs are easy to do, yet multiple outputs are currently impossible.

19. Mackinz

I remember a mod that had a furnace-like item with two input slots. I'll try looking for it so you can utilize the example. ^^

Cactuar likes this.
  20. kingofcrows

My apiaries and winepress have multiple input slots.

[​IMG]