block variants: gone? // unlocking inventory's full potential?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by eksynn, Apr 7, 2017.

1. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

i understand why the devs may have thought it would be important to remove the ability to collect different variants of the same block type (like cobblestone and all of its variable textures becoming the basic cobblestone, and all dirt colours becoming the base brown dirt colour)... it would be to unclutter inventory, i believe. but why not KEEP it like that? it was an interesting little feature that allowed for more variation in builds and actually encouraged exploring deeper into planets. now it's just a chore. and removing interesting features in lieu of a dumbed down feature is just plain unimaginative. if all else, players can always just dump their 16 different shades of green or blue if their inventory gets clogged.

any chance of returning this feature to the game?
    and until this is done, does anyone know of a mod that re-enables this?

while we're at it, can we unlock inventory sorting and add proper bags so we can sort it ourselves between inventory tabs? there are some resources i gather more than others, while others i don't gather at all, leaving PLENTY of room to be filled in tabs i never use.
    these added bags could be either crafted and upgraded, or found as rare items, for example.

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I agree that we should be able to have the multiple types of stone, but I don't think that's ever been possible without mods. As for the dirt, can't we just paint it?

3. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

maybe it was the mod i had then? hm..
    it wouldn't really work that way - the paint colour variety is extremely limited and there are dozens of different dirt shades / hues / colours across the universe
    and it was very possible before the game went 1.0
    ugh i wish i could remember what mod i used
    >.<

4. MelOzone

MelOzone Big Damn Hero

5. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

In the context of the different dirt colors and stuff, I suggest a recoloring device that lets you put blocks into it and choose the color yourself using RGB values. You would be able to copy the color value of your choice to the clipboard, and import it later if you want more blocks of that color, and there would also be a button so that you could copy the currently-inserted block's color value to the clipboard. So, say, if you had a lot of brown and red dirt that you wanted to turn into green dirt, you could do that.

6. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

7. MelOzone

MelOzone Big Damn Hero

Nope, sorry. Recoloring is the only way I know of.