Bug/Issue Can't play the game due to insanely fast cursor movement

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dillerkind, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Dillerkind

Dillerkind Tentacle Wrangler

Hey guys.

I've searched the board but it seems that the mouse-related problem I'm experiencing doesn't fit any of the already reported issues.

In short:
    I can't play the game due to some crazily fast moving mouse cursor.

Long version:
    In the main menu, everything is fine (in the level editor everything seems to work normally too). Mouse cursor looks like my standard OS cursor and behaves as you'd expect. Now, as soon as I start/continue a game, things become really weird. The sprite cursor moves around at speeds that make it impossible to actually control the game, click icons or whatnot. It's like the game registers continuous mouse movement and moves the cursor across the entire screen. It almost looks like it's magically drawn to the screen border. If I move the mouse really really slow and cautious, it's possible to position it a bit better, albeit still very imprecise and jerky. Playing the game is pretty much impossible.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of mouse dpi and polling rate but with no success. This happens both, in windowed and fullscreen modes and different resolutions as well. The only place it works correctly, as mentioned above, is in the main menu. If the game's window loses focus and I move the cursor over it, it behaves correctly though...

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    • Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

Hmm that is really strange indeed. What mouse are you using and what OS are you on?

• Dillerkind

Hey Seminus. I'm on Win7 64 and the mouse is a Logitech G500. This is the first time I'm experiencing something like that... Is the cursor placement in a mission handled differently than it is in the menu and tools?

• Seminus

yes they are. In the menu we use the system wide mouse courser an in the game we use the system our render engine libGDX is using. This is something for Daniel to check out. (Over my head)
          Do you have an other old mouse you could attache to you pc to see if it really the mouse or something else? (First time we heard of such an issue.)

• Dillerkind

First timer... Yeah, often have the funniest things going on. I still have a mouse from an older pc. Tried it, result is the same though. What's irritating me even more is that the cursor speed is normal when I hover over the window while it's not the active/focused application.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
            • Seminus

• Dillerkind

Nope, I don't have any touch devices. And updating to their latest software didn't help either, unfortunately. Oh man, I've tried everything I could think of and am about to give up. Probably caused by something in my 5-year-old littered up windows. I'm still running the system that was installed on the computer when I bought it and don't have an install disc :/

If you still have ideas, shoot them my way. Otherwise I'll give it another go when I get a new computer. In jedem Fall besten Dank für die Mühe!

• CoDi

CoDi Halfway Developer Developer

Do you have some crazy monitor setup by any chance?

I've seen this effect before, and can reproduce it, but so far only when running the game on a MacBook Pro with Windows running in a Parallels VM, and only when maximizing the window the virtual machine runs in. It looks like something is all messed up in this case, and the library we use reports crazy cursor positions which jump all over the place.

It works fine if I don't maximize the VM, or if I run the same version after booting the Windows partition.

• Dillerkind

I was running the game in a sandbox (with Sandboxie), like I do with pretty much every game nowadays; mostly to reduce the garbage left behind when uninstalling things (registry, user data, etc). Now, when I run the game un-sandboxed, it's working like a charm. I'd never have suspected that to be the source of all evil since I've never experienced such problems with other applications or games. But it's working now and that's all that counts eh... Sooo, this case is solved. Thanks a lot for pushing me in the right direction! :)

• Seminus

Ha! Great to hear that it is finally working. I never heard of Sandboxie. We have a look at it, but most likely it is something we can hardly fix.
                    But no worries, Halfway installs nothing besides the game and the save files in your user folder. So it is rather easy to clean up afterwards. (We hate garbage too!)

• Dillerkind

Yeah, I don't think this issue is related to your game code. This is going a bit off-topic but I think it's interesting nonetheless: Seeing that the mouse worked correctly once I started the game un-sandboxed, I thought I'd try Broforce outside of the sandbox. So far I didn't have any luck making the 360 controller work in this game... and guess what, running it straight from my host system the controller finally works. In every other game the controller works fine inside the box (IF it is supported in the first place), just like the mouse is working in every game but Halfway. Ain't that funny? :D

About the garbage.. Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to say that Halfway is leaving tons of garbage everywhere. I've just made it a habit to put most "volatile" things in a sandbox, i.e. stuff that I only want to try out or that won't remain on my hard-drive for long (which is the case with most games).