1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Can't run dedicated server and Starbound at the same time on Steam?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by moving20, Aug 2, 2016.

1. moving20

moving20 Void-Bound Voyager

My problem is simple. I know how to run a server, I did it in Beta and port forwarding and what not I understand. My issue is that when I turn on my dedicated server Starbound itself won't open. I also tried the other way by starting up Starbond then opening the dedicated server but it won't open. It appears I can only have one at a time open which I know was not the case when I did this when I ran the server prior to release. Any thought on what may be causing my issue and what may be a possible fix? Thanks in advance.

2. Fluffygryphon

Fluffygryphon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is Steam being Steam, I suspect. I had the same issue. How I solved this issue: Go into your root game folder and paste a shortcut of the game, or the server on your desktop. Run that, then run the other part on Steam.

jesserosenbaum and robotreborn like this.
  3. robotreborn

robotreborn Master Chief

Yeah what fluffy said. It's steams prevention of multiboxing. Considering both are launched from "starbound" in the library, steam just thinks it's the same thing.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

4. jesserosenbaum

jesserosenbaum Space Hobo

This worked for me as well. Thank you.