Category for "worldbuilding" stuff? Non-Capital-L lore?

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by M_Sipher, Jul 17, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

So this falls into the stuff I've been doing lately with the not-overtly-strictly-gameplay elements... and my general views towards accessibility and ease of discovery of information on a wiki, and Categories play heavily into that.

I just made a hub page for the U.S.C.M., like the Occasus page earlier. I think it's important to have these big hub pages for "worldbuilding" concepts, to present this game as a cohesive universe, not merely a collection of gameplay elements.

Which is leading me to wonder... what should pages like that be Categorized under, anyway? As a worldbuilding concept. I've already put it under the "Human" Category, but... what else?

They're lore, but not Lore (the specific name given to the "books" that you find and add to your collection), so using that as a Category name won't fly. Technically named characters like Hiraki and Esther would fall under this umbrella, but really they'd be directly Categorized as "Category:Characters" and then "Characters" would be a sub-category of... whatever the umbrella for concepts and groups and characters and blarblar fall under.

Thoughts? What's a good, simple, logical thing to call such a category? "Worldbuilding" is... clunky.

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Lore would be best, and with in-game lore books, we could move entirely to Codex.

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'd be good with that. Given the in-game materials don't use "lore"... at all, I think? But they DO use "Codex". That would make it easier on people not digging into the guts of the game.

@Katzeus?

4. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Works for me. There would have to be some shuffling around - right now 'Category:Lore' is a category which encompasses both current and legacy codex entries. That's prob not necessary since 'Category:Codex' is essentially the same. I think we'd want to remove all the codexes from 'Category:Lore' (which can be done inside the 'Lore' template I think, the codex category is coming from the infobox defined category).

We could also make 'Category:Codex' a subcategory of 'Category:Lore', that'll nest the books inside - seems appropriate.

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, I'm not sure what all would be involved with that. Honestly I'm having one hell of a time finding the templates to even mark "Lore" as a page to be renamed. It's kind of an issue I'm having in general with the wiki... information isn't the easiest to come across at points. Little things like the proliferation of purposefully omitting Table of Contents from pages that are multiple screens long, which to me is a HUGE wiki no-no. And I made a living on video-game data-shuffling for years, the casual browser's experience must be...

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Category:Templates

I mean maybe I'm just missing it? But...

6. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Here's Template:Lore, I think all that you need to do is change 'Category:Lore' at the end of its source to 'Category:Codex'.

When it comes to marking pages for renaming, there's Category:Article Cleanups, which is composed of pages marked with Template:Cleanup, usually with the stated reason of "Needs to renamed to: [New name]"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017