Modding Discussion Character Animation Modding

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Corraidhín, May 24, 2017.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

So I have been curious about this for some time as I have never, ever tried modding before; I see some people making their own animated objects, from TVs to Crafting Tables among other appliances, but what of the npcs and the player character? I would like to try my hand at making some animations for the player character, be it changing the walk / run cycle among other actions, but is it possible? how much can be done to change the player itself in regards of animations?

Some animations I would like to try changing are:

-Walk / run cycle
    -jumping animations
    -swimming

I ve noticed that every race has its own frames (unless I misunderstand how animations are used, which is highly likely) and the same goes for custom races, so if one wants to change animations for lets say, walk / run cycle, it would be necessary to change them for every race separately?

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

walk and run: there are 8 frames each in the humanoid file per species. the walk frames are on the second row while the run frames are on the third. these frames loop
    jumping: the 4th row has all 8 frames involved in a jump, excluding the grounded frames. the first 4 are rising, the second 4 are falling, and these do not loop, so no looping animation can be made
    swimming: the swimming frames are on the bottom row. the 2 idle frames (the body will only have 1) loop slowly, while the actual swimming loops faster (it will say NO LOOPS, that was back when it didn't loop. it loops now)

If you are wanting to change the animations of one race, that is all you need to change. however, if there are pixels not lining up with vanilla, If you intend for that race's clothing to be available to all races, you will have to edit the clothing and animations of all to fit your intent

Corraidhín and projectmayhem like this.
  3. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

so if I want to lets say, add more frames to an animation, in this case jump, by changing it into something different like a somersault (not implying that I have the slightest level of skill to draw something like that), if it were to look like a smooth jumping transition for something more complex and I needed more frames to achieve such a result, would it be possible? can we add more frames to an animation? or are we forced to a set number of frames?

4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

{
    "frameGrid" : {
    "size" : [43, 43],
    "dimensions" : [9, 6],

"names" : [
    [ null, "idle.1", "idle.2", "idle.3", "idle.4", "idle.5", "sit.1", null, "duck.1" ],
    [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "walk.6", "walk.7", "walk.8" ],
    [ null, "run.1", "run.2", "run.3", "run.4", "run.5", "run.6", "run.7", "run.8" ],
    [ null, "jump.1", "jump.2", "jump.3", "jump.4", "fall.1", "fall.2", "fall.3", "fall.4" ],
    [ null, "climb.1", "climb.2", "climb.3", "climb.4", "climb.5", "climb.6", "climb.7", "climb.8" ],
    [ null, "swimIdle.1", null, null, "swim.1", "swim.2", "swim.3", "swim.4" ]
    ]
    },
    "aliases" : {
    "swimIdle.2" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.5" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.6" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.7" : "swimIdle.1",
    "lay.1" : "run.8"
    }
    }

this is the malebody.frames file. If you were to add new frames to the jumping, rather than just replacing them, I would suggest going down, with this new config and the png expanded by a multiple of 43. (note, dimensions is how many size it is wide and how many size it is tall)
    {
    "frameGrid" : {
    "size" : [43, 43],
    "dimensions" : [9, 8],

"names" : [
    [ null, "idle.1", "idle.2", "idle.3", "idle.4", "idle.5", "sit.1", null, "duck.1" ],
    [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "walk.6", "walk.7", "walk.8" ],
    [ null, "run.1", "run.2", "run.3", "run.4", "run.5", "run.6", "run.7", "run.8" ],
    [ null, "jump.1", "jump.2", "jump.3", "jump.4", "fall.1", "fall.2", "fall.3", "fall.4" ],
    [ null, "climb.1", "climb.2", "climb.3", "climb.4", "climb.5", "climb.6", "climb.7", "climb.8" ],
    [ null, "swimIdle.1", null, null, "swim.1", "swim.2", "swim.3", "swim.4" ],
    [ null, "my.jump.1", "my.jump.2", "my.jump.3", "my.jump.4", "my.jump.5", "my.jump.6", "my.jump.7", "my.jump.8" ],
    [ null, "my.fall.1", "my.fall.2", "my.fall.3", "my.fall.4", "my.fall.5", "my.fall.6", "my.fall.7", "my.fall.8" ]
    ]
    },
    "aliases" : {
    "swimIdle.2" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.5" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.6" : "swimIdle.1",
    "swim.7" : "swimIdle.1",
    "lay.1" : "run.8"
    }
    }

I'm suggesting adding 2 new rows rather than replacing the fall ones with jump ones and adding only one row so unedited species don't lose functionality. If you are wanting to use them, though, you will have to edit humanoid.config. If you are wanting only a special race to use them, I would suggest looking into species/penguin.species and species/penguinoid.config

Corraidhín and Setsy like this.
  5. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I see I see, thanks! I have to take a loot at this... hmm