1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Classical Weaponry 2.1

Brand new melee weapon types, with more coming soon!

1. baconsama25

baconsama25 Cosmic Narwhal

Solus Estoc is bugged, it freezes game when picked and doesn't attack at all and stays pointed upwards.

2. Vinderex

Vinderex Pangalactic Porcupine

3. Vinderex

Thanks. Fixed now. ^.^

4. Vinderex

Working on sabers now. Here's a little preview.
    SaberPreview.png

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  5. Vinderex

Vinderex updated Classical Weaponry with a new update entry:

Sabers! Also some recipe adjustments, and an updated Tungsten Rapier

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

This mod is a joy to play; tried the purple tier rapier and some 2 handed sword. they seem pretty balanced, and the sound/graphics/feel are at least as good as vanilla weapons; probably better.

Id say rapier is much more similar to 1 handed spear than shortsword; idk why you compare to shortsword. spear i swapped from also had reach, direction, speed, and a 5 combo.

I didn't really notice that the costs were excessive; for the ones i bought. You only build it once, and you want to feel like you worked for it.

Maybe if you use rapier with nothing in you other hand you could give it an ultimate; like a swashbuckling rocket lunge. Main Gauche might also be neat; if you could think of a fun mechanic for it.

7. Xirukai

Xirukai Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesomesauce, sabers are looking fantastic.

8. gibimo

gibimo Master Chief

Could you make 'Ninjas Play Free' compatible version? solus and violum halberds special attacks stuck in the motion and broken somehow.
    Perhaps it because Ninjas Play Free modify vanila special attacks. thank you

9. Vinderex

Show me a log and I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile I'll add it to known incompatibilities.

10. Vewerein

Vewerein Big Damn Hero

Hello again. After using the mod for about a week now I've gathered some critiques to help with balancing and general tweaking to help getting it to feel like a starbound weapon.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is how long the combo for the rapiers are. Its out of place with the rest of the weapons. I believe that the combos for melee weapons are intended to be short for how combat works in this game. I understand the direction you went seeing as rapiers are known to be fast striking weapons, but that can still be achieved with a shorter combo, and just having it have a fast attack speed. With it being just one-handed and having such strong reach it makes it rather overkill.
    I feel as if it should have just a simple three hit combo, which is decently long considering the other one-handed melee weapons, and again its reach.
    The difference between rapiers and normal swords in combat should be the swiftness and distance the rapier strikes. Perhaps to better achieve this instead of focusing on fast long combos, the method of attacking could be changed. Other weapons in the game have special abilities that launches the player forward, so maybe it wouldnt be so out of place to let the sword lunge and backpeddle as normal combo attacks? A three hit combo would fit nicely with the game as a normal thrust attack as the first hit, a good first attack to hold the attack button for just for pressure; a strike and then backpeddle as the second hit, for when the situation calls for it it is easy to disengage by following the first hit up with this combo attack; and then a lunging thrust as the third combo, for if after the backpeddle its still safe to attack. And after such combo the first normal hit will always be a good option for quick attacks like an extended dagger
    Now that might be asking for too much, but its something to consider

I remember earlier when I mentioned the stance, and I managed to figure out what it was. The design of starbound's weaponry has everything parallel to each other. Seeing the rapiers and estocs at a more angle makes it feel out of place, as well when it is attacking. The thrusts arent straight like they should be, both in actual rapier posture and general looks. It makes the attacks feel rather sloppy. In comparison to the normal 1-handed sword thrust, that is.

I cant quite remember what else was needed to be said, but it will come back to me. I believe for this mod to be one of the best it should strive to feel part of the game and official, and i hope these comments give some insight or ideas on balancing ^^

Of course I wouldn't completely criticize your work without giving positives.
    Obvious one would be how fantastic the art of it is. They fit nicely into the game and are wonderfully drawn. The amount of effort you are putting into this mod is wonderful as well, and I truly hope you will get to a place where everything is satisfactory for your vision. Hopefully i can help with my ideas. The estoc and halberds are perfect currently, in my opinion, after using them for a while. And the sabers are looking great. I am eager to try them out.
    As for the crafting costs, they've always seemed reasonable.

Again, this is my alltime favorite mod, and I am excited to for future updates. Peace~

11. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

as i wrote before, rapier has basically the same usage and 5 hit combo as the 1h spear. so is vanilla 1 handed spear out of place too? If he makes it worse than spear in every way ppl might as well just use spear.

And you could always give it a special only when used with nothing in the other hand if you want a lunge or something; in that case it's balanced with other 2 handers. ...Well the base dps would still be less so you'd need to up the 2 handed dmg or have the ult use less energy or be stronger than normal.

12. Badger Wilson

Badger Wilson Void-Bound Voyager

Sir, it would appear your latest version of the mod doesn't appear to work for me, I can't swing any of the weapons at all...not even the ones I could swing in previous versions...plus, I can't even move it around like your usual shortsword...and no, before you ask, I do not have ninjas play free installed.

13. Vinderex

What weapons have you tried?
    Do you have any other mods installed? And can I see your log?

14. Badger Wilson

I have tried the rapier, the saber, even the estoc, the only one I didn't try was the halberd, but I'm sure that wouldn't move either, and yes, I have other mods installed, including ones from the steam workshop. It could possibly be one of those.

15. Vinderex

What mods do you have?

16. Badger Wilson

Well, first, my problem is pretty much the same problem as the solus estoc had in a previous version, only all weapons are like that. (Referring to post by baconsama, post #81) But I'll try to provide you with a list, for now, try to see if there's a problem in the coding somewhere...

17. Vinderex

When you updated, did you delete the old folder and replace it, or did you just overwrite it? That might be the problem. A lot of filenames were changed, so just overwriting will leave behind a lot of old junk. You need to delete the folder and replace it with the new.

18. Badger Wilson

AHH! Nevermind! I found the problem, I'm an idiot. I accidentally extracted CW WITH the .rar file, when I just needed the contents. Sorry for that sir, I'll try not to waste much more of your time. (Btw, keep it going, you've got some real nice weaponry, can't wait for the katanas n such.)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  19. LvsrsRedDragon

LvsrsRedDragon Big Damn Hero

Hey, I've been playing with your mod and I really liked it. I have a question though: do you plan on adding randomly generated versions of the weapons? They really make exploring more rewarding, and it feels like your weapons sometimes make them not worth getting most of the time. Also, I don't want to be the "add X stuff plz" guy, but will katanas come next update? I don't really want to raise expectations, I'm just curious (they're my favourite sword type)!

20. Badger Wilson

Hmmm, have you thought of adding Cutlasses to your series of weapons?