RELEASED Climates of Ferngill (Weather Mod) 1.3

Adds a weather system to the game

1. OooOoOn

OooOoOn Void-Bound Voyager

Cool mod, I have played all through first spring now though and it didnt rain a single day. I get the tv messages warning about pollen and the highs and lows in temperature, but it is sunny every day. I havent changed anything in the config file except for "AllowStormsFirstSpring": which I set to true.

Is the mod working as it should with rain frequency?

• knittingmachine

knittingmachine Void-Bound Voyager

I've noticed the same problem. I honestly can't remember the last time it's rained in-game.

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

Uhm.. That's odd. Really odd. I think I know what caused it, and it's fixed in the next version which at this point just needs me to finish writing up the menu text. I'll rush a version out this week that should resolve it. (I could use some testing)

• OooOoOn

For testing purposes, I even tried changing the climate from normal to wet and it hasn't had any effect yet. :/
          Also, how am I supposed to know when a crop is damaged by frost or heatwave. Do I get a notification or does it simply disappear? I have read sometimes on the tv
          that frost is coming and that I should be careful with what I plant, but not sure what I am supposed to avoid.

• Koihime Nakamura

So most of what happens on the TV is fluff text. You'll see an actual warning secondary that say 'crops may die', and you should receive a HUD notification. Unless you've turned it on, though, neither will happen.

In addition: if the bug is what I think it is, you'll need to wait until an upgrade, as it's an error within the weather handling logic itself. (It's one of a few that caused me to simply rip out the existing the code and rewrite, which is what took so long to redo.)

Update:

On that note, with these weeks being rather.. busy (I work for a store that changed platforms. It's been an interesting migration), I've had less time than I like than to update things. I'm churning out a limited text version now and after I do some testing to make sure I don't have a reversion in a few places, I plan to upload it here for people to play. I just need to progress my save past the first four days so I can verify the sun bug is gone. (Also: if you're near a wedding, or have a save near a wedding, could you send me a copy? I want to make sure I fixed that bug too.)

• OooOoOn

I guess I have switched it on. Harsh weather is set to true.

The only values I am not sure of is

"DisplaySecondScale": false,
              "SecondScaleGauge": "",
              "GhostsDoNotSpawn": false,
              "StormTotem": false

What do they do?

• knittingmachine

knittingmachine Void-Bound Voyager

I removed the mod from the game and it's started raining again.

• Koihime Nakamura

Generally, yes. The mod logic will stop that from working, which is why I said I need to get an update out. IIRC, it was the fallback option (i.e, if the mod for whatever reason can't determine the weather, it's coded to fallback to sunny so a weather is produced no matter what) that was somehow always triggering.

ETA: For bonus joy, it wasn't always triggering for everyone, too. I often got rain.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
                  • Koihime Nakamura

Most of those values aren't in the current version, but the.. no, seriously, they say exactly what they do, except StormTotem which is, when enabled, a rain totem may spawn a storm at about 20-25% of the time instead of rain.

• Koihime Nakamura

Today: I got it working. There's an occasional glitch that I'm chasing down, but there should be a new version up this weekend for testing, with a complete readme so you can follow what the settings do.

• Koihime Nakamura

I apologize for the delay

This is a 1.1.1 beta test release, which should fix all reported bugs and moves to a new weather system that should be easier to customize. It also implements a few new features, but please read the readme linked in this link.

If anyone has any questions, or bug reports, I'd be happy to read them:

https://github.com/JohnsonNicholas/SDVMods/releases/tag/1.1.1-beta

ETA: Fixed link.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
                        • OooOoOn

Im not really sure which one I should download. The link you gave leads to a compilation of mods. Is it the one called ClimatesofFerngill or ClimateDataExamin? The readme also says that another mod besides SMAPI is required but on the forum it says otherwise.

Can you still get sick if you stay out in a storm?

Is the SolarEclipseEvent still included or a separate download now?

EDIT: I think I got it now. I downloaded

• Platonymous' Custom Element Handler: v1.3.0+
                          • Platonymous' Custom TV: 1.0.5+
                          And the one called Climate of Ferngill.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
                          • OooOoOn

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

• Koihime Nakamura

... Why did it copy th.. *sigh*

Thanks! Editing the post.

• Koihime Nakamura

The.. readme is the most accurate information as to what is needed. The nexus page will be updated (and a formal release post/main post update) once I'm confident there are no bugs. While I tested it for a week or so in-game, I need to do a bit longer testing to make sure I've eliminated the issues. This was released because I don't think there are any and it should fix all reported issues.

As for the last two: the readme would have said. (no, as I haven't reconnected that bit, since I need to work out how best to handle that. A blizzard should be worse than a storm, but should a heatwave also trigger it?)

And SolarEclipseEvent is not included. I'm wavering on that because I don't want to bundle too much together.

• Koihime Nakamura

Updates
                                - The fog/snow bug has tentatively been fixed.

Todo
                                - Stamina drains, frost, heatwaves.

So, opinions: should I bundle solar eclipse event?

• OooOoOn

I havent had a chance to try it yet, but the feature I would most appreciate you focusing on is stamina drain from being outside in a storm and getting a cold which needs medicine (is even possible?) Would add more usage for the hospital. Can the animals get sick too?

I wouldnt say no to a bundle.

• Koihime Nakamura

For the cold: no, actually, I had to yank the item code from the last release because it's not working properly and I'm not sure how to make it work properly.

For stamina drain, that's on the list (I mean, if I do reimplement it, it'd be last, but really at this point, I just need another day free to work on it and then to get more than the low level testing (load game, verify things work, run through first week) I did.)

As for animals getting sick: I actually .. dunno. I'll consider it. I personally wouldn't want to use it, and I don't think there's even an animal medicine item in-game.

• OooOoOn

So I have had a chance to try the mod now. Played through half of winter so far and havent haf any weather events except for normal snow. How often should one expect storms or blizzard? I havent had a single storm since I started the game.