1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Crash/Fatal Error on item select from inventory (Log + Screenshots)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by kenjisan231, Jul 24, 2017.

1. kenjisan231

kenjisan231 Space Hobo

Overview: Selecting item from inventory caused crash due to "Fatal Error: Access Violation Detected at"

Specifics: While on my ship in orbit over planet, selecting an item from player inventory (not ship inventory) caused a crash.

Reproduction: The error can be reproduced locally by selecting an assault rifle from player inventory with a different assault rifle already equipped (actively holding). I've attached screenshots of the two assault rifles I used to reproduce the error. The crash can be reproduced 100% of the time via this method. The crash was reproduced in my ship, and on a planet as well.

Local Specs:
    • Windows 10 - x64
    • Windowed Mode
    • Unmodded
    • x64 Game Client (Steam)
    • Singleplayer
    Additional Notes: Due to the number of posts like mine on the forums, the error doesn't seem to be related to assault rifles exactly, but to some type of conflict between the item being selected, and the item currently equipped. I didn't have any other weapons (of the same type) to test against.

Attached: Log, item reference screenshots, error screenshot

EDIT: Reloading a crashed game loads the character with the error-causing item now selected. While the item (assault rifle) can be freely dragged around, manipulating it causes a different a crash, but the manner in which that item is manipulated causes either a client crash, or a Starbound based error that disconnects me to the main menu. Causing one type over the other can be accomplished through the following:
    1. Attempting to place the item back in my inventory causes the "Fatal Error" crash described above.
    2. Dropping the item, placing it into my hotbar, or opening my inventory while the item is selected causes a different error; "Incoming client packet has caused exception". I'm able to load my save from the main menu without issue when this happens.
    Regardless of the crash type experienced, reloading the game always loads my character with the item now in whatever location I tried putting it in. These errors only occur if the I'm if I'm holding (that is equipped) with a different assault rifle than the one selected by my mouse. Selecting a toolbar via keybinding, or scrolling to a different slot allows me to handle the rifle normally without a crash/error message. I've attached an additional screenshot that contains the error message.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Ozilive

Ozilive Space Hobo

I'm having the same issue with the same specs. This post details the problem exactly as I have experienced it, although, it seems to occur for many more reasons than just these. The game has allowed me to play a few hours into each character before the error occurs. Once it starts it is constant and the game becomes unplayable.

There are many posts about these fatal errors across many forums dating back to 2013 and not a single one has a helpful response. Most have no response at all including a majority of the posts on these particular forums. It's not a matter of compatibility with windows and it's not a conflict with steam itself. I've reinstalled both the game and steam multiple times and still have the same problem.

If we could please get someone (who actually has the ability to address this) to reply as soon as possible it would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just to say "we're investigating the issue" or "fix coming soon."

Cally94 and angryleek like this.
  3. MageKing17

MageKing17 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've also experienced this problem; as far as I can tell it seems to happen when you have an item of the same basic type (e.g. rare broadsword), but with a different special ability, in your hotbar. If I pick up an item with the same special or a different rarity, nothing seems to happen. I even managed to get it to happen by spawning a unique item and overriding its special ability with a different one, so it doesn't seem to be limited to procedurally-generated weapons.

Cally94 likes this.
  4. Cally94

Cally94 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can also confirm and re-create this whole bug, including the fact of it not being limited to procedurally-generated weapons. The work-around seems to work fine, but what a pain. One character of mine is completely locked now because when the game crashes and I reload, the game thinks I'm still holding the item that caused the crash to begin with. Anything I do from there, even if I do nothing and just walk around in my ship for a bit, will cause the kick to main menu, or re-create the crash. I suppose if one is very careful and can manage the work around with no loss of patience, then the game is still playable. But I think I'm gonna take a break and come back after the next patch with fingers crossed... Very sad, but oh well. I just hope Chucklefish knows about this bug and is planning something for it.

5. MonsterAnt

MonsterAnt Space Hobo

I'm experiencing the same crashes. Discover new weapon I like, grab it and BLAM!
    Windows 7 - x64
    Borderless window
    singleplayer
    x64 game client ran as administrator

I can only add a couple facts I noticed:

Shift clicking these items into and out of your inventory does not cause this crash (for me), however, not selling or disposing of these items within about 10 minutes will cause an inevitable crash straight to desktop. And as mentioned above holding said item crashes the game.

It started happening about a month ago, which means, it probably has something to do with the patch 1.3.2 [18.7.2017] (or not, because for me it started happening 2 weeks or so after the patch, coincidentally it was also the first time I messed with my storage folder and started using admin commands [not that these should cause any trouble] and restoring the saves from a backup file did not fix the issue)

It seams to affects 2-handed weaponry only (random abilities maybe?).

It's a schizle to deal with, especially when you try to complete missions (usually found 1-3 of 20 weapons that are bugged).

6. DrFreenote

DrFreenote Void-Bound Voyager

I'm experiencing these same issues. In my case, it's with two handed broadswords.

Windows 10 (64-Bit)
    Borderless Window
    Unmodded
    Singleplayer + Multiplayer (Any server, crash only effects client. Server outputs client error into console.)
    x64 Client (Steam)

In my case, I have three broadswords. The first two work as intended. The third one will crash the game if either of the other two broadswords are selected when the third one is interacted with. This also works backwards; If the third broadsword is active in the hotbar, interacting with either of the first two broadswords causes the crash. If no broadsword is active in the hotbar, or if the hotbar itself is empty, the crash does not occur. I've also had this happen with assault rifles. I've seen reports of this happening with spears.

It may be worth noting that the two broadswords that play nice with each other both have the Parry special. Weapons that don't play nice seem to have the same rarity, same cost, same type, be two handed, and have different special abilities.

I don't know if the weapons I found that trigger this were found from quest reward bags, or from chests. This crash will happen on brand new characters which are handed the weapons in question.

7. Volk-Home

Volk-Home Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have this issue too, whenever I pick a weapon ( in a box ), the game crashes with the same text "access violation blah blah". I tried for different types of weapons ( one shotgun and two snipers ) and it bugged, but when I tried the shotgun, I could take it but firing with it made the game crash with the same error text.

I'm on Windows 10 and I play starbound 64 bits with mods ( not affecting the weapons, also no-one on the mod forums had an issue like this ).

8. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Void-Bound Voyager

I'm experiencing this issue as well. I get the "access violation" error when I select a sniper from my inventory. I've tried reinstalling the game and adjusting the admin settings with no success. I have no mods, so it's clearly not an issue with that.

9. CappyT

CappyT Space Hobo

I'm experiencing the same issues as above. (in my case, i'm modded, but the error and behavior is the same)

The bug actually happens if you have an equipped (in the hotbar) same-type AND same-rarity weapon no matter what, if you click one of the two IN ANY INVENTORY, the game crashes with the above error.

So workaround is for now to Un-Equip weapons conflicting, do what you need to, re-equip them.
    Too much pain imho, so i'm gonna drop starbound 'till the next update (hoping that is fixed).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  10. UglyStru

UglyStru Lucky Number 13

Made an account just to bump this and hope it gets fixed. This is making the game severely unplayable for Windows 10 users (not sure if it's happening on any other OS). Here is the bug in action.

HTML:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z8GL2IHmao

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Cally94 likes this.
  11. audunmg

audunmg Void-Bound Voyager

I have this exact issue on the Linux version.

Debian buster/sid x86_64
    Modded with fullscreen navigation
    Fullscreen
    Singleplayer

I attached the log where I loaded the game, and selected the assault rifle.

Attached Files:

12. UglyStru

UglyStru Lucky Number 13

Is Chucklefish asleep? This has been a known bug for months now.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Volk-Home likes this.