Elevators?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by metamorphexx, Nov 28, 2016.

1. metamorphexx

metamorphexx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but are there fully functioning elevators right now? (the ones that you can select a floor; control the vertical direction like a real elevator) because this rail thing doesn't work on deep excavations and I keep bugging out. That missing feature prevents me from playing it further, sadly.

If not, it would be my suggestion to add it in-game, because grappling from the depths of a planet back to the surface ain't really space-age.

2. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

You can make one yourself by using the rails and wiring. But if you're talking about traditional boxy elevator, then I'm afraid there's none in vanilla. IIRC the Castlevania mod includes a old fashioned hotel elevator so maybe you want to take a look from there.

3. metamorphexx

In case you haven't noticed at my post:

Just checked this out:

As far as I know, a Minecraft mod does exactly what I mean: SlimeVoid Dynamic Elevator Mod / Dynamic Transport Mod.

Here's a good demo:

4. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Can you take a screenshot of your current rail platforms? There shouldn't be any bug as long as you have enough repeaters to send the signal if the distance between each floor is too great.

5. metamorphexx

I tried to access my game yesterday to test but I'm afraid the save got corrupted because of some mod updates (Might try again though, I don't mind). But the last time I tried, it goes down but never goes up (I'm not riding it, because those platforms were suppose to work just like the ones from an apex lab that goes back and forth infinitely, but from a far great distance), and I checked it the rail platform, it was dismantled from the rail track itself.

It's not a complicated structure actually, the purpose is just to send me up to the highest floor of my building to the very core of the planet. That's it. But it would be pretty nice to add floor controls.

6. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Well...had you put Rail Bumper on each of the end?

7. metamorphexx

Yes, I did.

8. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Alright, then the distance is simply far too great then. It's a limitation that Starbound cannot 'fix'. You must be within the proximity for the rail to continue working. This is designed so to save resources I guess.
    The best you can do now is design the rail in a way that it stop on each stop, maybe you can try to watch this.
    Otherwise Wired Rail Bumper can simplify the whole thing to an extent.

9. metamorphexx

Yeah, hence my suggestion. I've dug out some info, and most likely it's on the rendering side of the game. But oh well, I guess I might have to wait for a very long time for these elevators to be realized. I just hope that devs might want to look this up, because I really love constructing ridiculously humongous buildings.

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

The following elevators are in the vanilla assets. Elevator object names -
    foundryelevatorlong
    foundryelevatorshort
    durasteelelevatorlong
    durasteelelevatorshort
    mechanicalelevatorlong
    mechanicalelevatorshort
    woodenelevatorlong
    woodenelevatorshort

To get any of those, type into the chat window