Extreme difficulty

Discussion in 'W:R Suggestions' started by Fodakahn, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Fodakahn

Fodakahn Void-Bound Voyager

I would REALLY love another difficulty. Something to a crazy degree meant for a skilled team of full orange + requiem characters . A difficulty that even great players in great gear will have trouble completing entirely.
    Maybe it could be as simple as multiplying all enemies' hp and attack power by some large amount, no new enemies or mechanics necessary, no new loot (wouldn't want to slow down W:A development! so excited for it!). In fact, this mode could even have no loot drop at all and is entirely meant as an achievement kind of thing.

I love this game, what you guys have made is amazing. I would be playing it all the time if I still had something to strive for, and I know all my friends would too.

• Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

I was about to comment on how this would be insane, then I noticed this is in the W:R section.

(The game is amazing isn't it?)

• Fodakahn

Ha, what game did you originally thing I was talking about?

Yes, it really is amazing.

• FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

You realize that what you just described is high levels of crawl right? Crawl has enemies and bosses alike. And they get more and more difficult with each wave.

• Fodakahn

That is not what I described, and it's not the same as a story mode that is extremely difficult to complete. Crawl is great, and this would be a fun addition

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

This has been suggested already. (By me. I wanted a 50x difficulty. Epic is 10x.)
              I also wanted a boss crawl. Where instead of mobs spawning bosses spawned.
              ----------------
              The devs decided that they were going to move on from Wanderlust: Rebirth to focus on Wanderlust: Adventures.
              Fear not, because I heard that you can use your characters from Rebirth in Adventures.
              You can of course suggest this for the next installment (Wanderlust: Adventures) in the Wanderlust series, because Matt is open to ideas.

I think that infinite difficulties would be cool, but I think that the rewards should scale a little more accurately.
              In Rebirth, the rewards in Normal and Hard differed very little despite being four times as difficult.

Vellessard likes this.
              • Fodakahn

Awesome. I actually meant 10x that of epic mode, but whatever number makes it ridiculously hard but marginally possible

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

Not too long ago there was an update to Rebirth where monsters/bosses had attacks which had visual cues, allowing you to anticipate attacks better. I believe the reason for this was not only to lower the difficulty, but to redirect the style of the game so that it wasn't based on having high resistance to win, but rather incorporating more skill into the game.

The reason why this post relates to your topic is that they are probably looking towards making enemies not only more difficult in damage, (which is what different difficulties do except for ch10) they may incorporate different attacks which are more difficult to dodge later in the game.

My initial suggestion was to give the ch10 boss a 50x damage (only survivable with full phys res + mana shield with at least 1000 HP) with 50x HP, a normal modifier, but also make it have additional special attacks; such as attacks only dodgeable by the cleric's Holy Shield or SCs, and debuffs such as the dark fire-lightning debuff only avoidable by the fighter's berserker rage buff, SP draining auras that could only be avoided by the Alchemist' adrenaline buff. The idea would be to make each of the players have to play one of each class, otherwise the battle would be nigh impossible. The ch10 boss could spawn minions which would cause a huge explosion, and the fighter would have to use warcry to lure the mobs away to a corner while sacrificing himself to save the rest of the team (or risk using a soul charge to avoid the explosions). Players would have to be able to SC at any point in the battle. Of course, I could come up with many more other ideas.

I believe that the skills that were given to each character were versatile in their own ways, however there were rarely any places where they had (the necessity) to be used. Boss battles could have used a bit more strategy, instead of just dealing the most damage possible before you fainted tanking damage. This is why I enjoyed ch10 more than the others, because it required (while not a lot) a little bit of skill to dodge. Getting the Ch10 without getting hit achievement was pretty fun, and not all that hard except for the boss's instant-sanctuary ground pound attack.

• Fodakahn

Man I totally agree, I really wish something like this existed.

• d2king10

d2king10 Guest

The problem with requiring certain parts in the game to require a certain class ability to get passed it, forces certain team compositions (even more than the game already does on epic). If the final boss required a class to do a certain move at a certain time, now every class would have to be speced a specific way and have to be in the party for it to advance. We want to stay away from this as much as possible because it limits what a team comp of 4 classes can do at any given time. We would prefer certain fights be made easier with certain abilities (like holy shield while the final boss is spitting fire, etc).

You are right, there are a lot of spank-and-tank boss fights in W:R, but in epic mode, one wrong move can still wipe the whole party. We are definitely taking a lot of what we have learned in W:R and applying it to W:A, as well as adding new abilities to existing classes to add more strategy in fights. Have a non-linear game flow will allow us to have certain encounters more specific to certain classes, because players aren't FORCED to fight said enemy if they cannot beat them. In W:R, if we were to make certain bosses require specific classes, there would be times when you could simply never progress until that ideal team composition was met.

SPLlT likes this.
                      • Fodakahn

That's fine and I understand, but could there still be a difficulty above epic? Something simple to add, no new loot rules or new mechanics, just all enemies hit extremely hard and have an extreme amount of HP. "Challenge mode" or something where there's nothing to win except a sense of accomplishment. Maybe you could add a title before a persons name if they have completed challenge mode. People go crazy over achieving something to make themselves stand out, I know I would spend all my free time on Wanderlust with friends trying to beat that crazy Challenge difficulty, and it wouldn't be tooooo much development to take you away from W:A much. Pleeease!

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

I can understand what you're saying, but for chapter 10 (which consists of ONLY a boss fight) it would make the game MUCH more interesting if it was the only level/difficulty that could be beaten with a specific plan. (emphasis on plan)

Where you said you wanted to stay away from limiting a team, an example of a place where this was done was indeed chapter 10.
                          Unless one had endgame equips, you could not finish the boss solo. (Even with endgame equips, you can not solo chapter 10 as an elementalist nor cleric.) It required a fighter to berserker rage OR slaughter in order to win.

My suggestion was that the game mechanic of a specific skill/SC to advance during one boss fight would be HIGHLY interesting;
                          however this would only work if the boss was already analyzed beforehand.
                          (Which completely fits the story of WL:RB if you know what I'm talking about)
                          This wouldn't fit Wanderlust: Adventures very much though... because the gameplay isn't exactly linear. I'm not going to go deeper into it than that because the reasoning is fairly self explanatory.

• Bamboozler

Bamboozler Space Penguin Leader

Similar to a post I made about LAN multiplayer just minutes ago - this would be a great addition to a final refurbished update/version of W:R in an attempt to revive it on Steam, even if just as a way to have closure for this game.