1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Race

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FearnWAZZA, May 11, 2016.

1. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Ssshhh, don't make me rethink how cool your aesthetic and neat colors are!

Besides, we're extremely salty in flavor and made up of 80% liquid squid ink, and our flesh has the consistency of melting jell-o. :lickitung:
    Not good raw or cooked, let me assure you!

(... I can agree on how delicious sushi can be, though. Mmmm.)

Also, that is kinda weird that Apex are the least loved, when their lore is really neat? They're ape-people with a ton of internal conflict and and a schism in their society, that's cool stuff.
    They're usually pretty friendly, too, so that's always a plus.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Not to mention all the cool Apex Lightning Stuff, especially Electrical Barriers & Plasma Discs. :)

3. SkyCake

SkyCake Seal Broken

Floransss! They're oddly just so adorable for being the most savage race. Most of the examines get a giggle out of me. They seem so innocent for a race that is obsessed with stabbing everything. I can appreciate that!

4. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

As much as I love puns and I know humans need to see other humans in order to feel secure, but they were better in the old lore where they were about as important as other races rather than being the beings who ended the war between Florans and Hylotl and unified the galaxy. Sorry to disappoint, but with at least 11 or 12 sapient races, why do humans get to be so special? I mean, even with the new lore, they're still one of the 6 "Chosen ones"

5. Omegagreen

I liked it until the opportunity to kill Big Ape showed up for players. After that, I just lost interest in them. Their cyberpunk dystopia society was one of their coolest traits.

6. Wingidon

Wingidon Phantasmal Quasar

No one has said that such projection was the real one, if you think about it...

Omegagreen and Axe Garian like this.
  7. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I don't seriously think that Projection is the real Big Ape. I think it's the Miniknog Ultimate Weapon for fooling their People with lies, deceit, & especially fear, as the core of their efforts at Tyrannizing the Populace. It'd be like the Sci-Fi equivalent of if Evil Wizards were using Illusion Magic to terrify Peasant Populations into submission. I think it's still up in the air as to if "Big Ape" himself even IS a real person or just a Weaponized Idea. (With the Big Ape Projector the literal 'Weapon' part of "Weaponized Idea".)

Omegagreen and Nalano like this.
  8. Thee Pie Man

Thee Pie Man Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally I like the Avian's. Not just because my name (Avan) is one letter shy from them, but more towards their Egyptian culture. I like Egyptian stuff and it sticks out as interesting to me.

9. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I dunno, I like it. More importantly, you should realize that the point of fighting the hologram was the big reveal that Big Ape isn't a real person. He's an idea created by the Miniknog to keep the unwary citizens in line. You're destroying the physical representation of that idea, and bringing freedom to the Apex. Freedom from the shroud of lies the Miniknog used to control them.

Honestly, the ending of the Apex mission was awesome for me. To go down into that old decrepit lab and see "Ministry of Knowledge" on the wall.

When I saw that, it immediately brought to mind the phrase "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

I'm sure when the Ministry of Knowledge was first founded, it was for the pure love of scientific pursuits. Then it spiraled out of control somehow...

Axe Garian and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  10. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

Sylva:
    Floran isss best race, with gray-cat pet being second besst.

"Littleman9Mew2":
    I am NOT you pet, but a friend Sylva.

Sylva:
    Gray-cat ssstill pet to Floran.

11. Omegagreen

I prefer listening to the theory that Big Ape is unkillable. Personally, I don't see the appeal in a plot where I save the universe again. Sure you have the purple text and all, but the whole point that Big Ape isn't a real person is even better because it means that there could be millions of backups. I mean, really, some fool with a gun and blade on a stick destroying half a backstory, why do you find this cool? I don't know, maybe I'm sick of being the big hero, but know that being the villain isn't cool either.

What I'm saying is that destroying Big Ape might make you cool, but at the expense of the coolness of the Apex society as a concept. Yes you have achieved the "cool guy" status, but at what cost?

12. Omegagreen

I prefer listening to the theory that Big Ape is unkillable. Personally, I don't see the appeal in a plot where I save the universe again. Sure you have the purple text and all, but the whole point that Big Ape isn't a real person is even better because it means that there could be millions of backups. I mean, really, some fool with a gun and blade on a stick destroying half a backstory, why do you find this cool? I don't know, maybe I'm sick of being the big hero, but know that being the villain isn't cool either.

What I'm saying is that destroying Big Ape might make you cool, but at the expense of the coolness of the Apex society as a concept. Yes you have achieved the "cool guy" status, but at what cost?

13. Haldosprime

Haldosprime Space Hobo

Favorite to play - Novakid
    Favorite to interact with - Avian.

I really like the theme for both of them, being a cowboy with pistols has always been a thing I enjoyed and the locomotive ship tickles me greatly. The Egyptian theme of the Avian race is of a similar nature.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Agreed. One of the great dangers of life is that places like the Ministry of Knowledge are a central gathering of Power, & Power is exactly what the Villainous crave the most, like Parasites craving a Host to feed off of, & like many other Organizations before it, the MiniKnog failed at having enough Corruption Resistance & fell to the Corruption... the rest is History.

Alternatively, &/or along with the above, the Original MiniKnog Scientist Founders may have started out with Good Intentions, realized how much Power they had gained later on, & felt the Temptations of Power, Selfishness, & Greed... & lost their fight against it & become controlled by it & thus become the Corruption in the Organization themselves.

The Apex have their Innate Nature... boosting the amount of Intelligence that Nature would have access to without dealing with the Innate Nature itself... perhaps not the best thought out Plan, but to be fair the Plan was (not well) thought out by Pre-Vestigi-Evo Monkeys. Deep down, there's still the Temptation to think of nothing but trying to be 'King/Queen of the Monkey Hill' & getting to eat Bananas. Like a well designed House on a poor weak Foundation, it was inevitably not gonna end pretty.

Fortunately there MIGHT maybe be hope for the People in the Apex Resistance, who through their suffering may yet realize these fallacies & can strive to overcome them. Whether or not they succeed is up to them. (I'm rooting for ya Lana. :))

IMHO anyone who hates the Apex is seeing nothing but the superficial about them & thinking 'eww, Monkey'. Tis a shame. :down:

Sure killing the Projection isn't killing Big Ape, but it shows the Resistance & all others who can learn of it that Big Ape is not Invincible, Fear can be fought, & there IS hope. This is NOT killing the Apex Problems by yourself in just a few minutes & looking like some kinda God, it's only just you helping the good guys & becoming a potential turning point in the fight for good. The road to victory after that point will STILL be long & hard, after all, there's a LOT of MiniKnog Scum left. Why would ANYONE think killing the Big Ape Boss suddenly granted the Apex People 110% of their Freedom, Eternal Paradise, & Fries for good measure? o_O

15. Riotmode

Riotmode Seal Broken

I'm with omegagreen and Axe somewhat, honestly. There's a lot to be said for having a good villain, and while Big Ape was one of the better boss fights it doesn't really constitute a "victory" when the miniknog can easily just say "nah but big ape's still around". He's the only one in the game with any proper setup to it, and when it turns out he's some computer system that makes it all the more likely the miniknog could have set up multitudes of them.
    The other problem becomes, what interest do the apex hold after their plot arc with big ape resolves? What is their culture if not "1984 meets planet of the apes"? They're specialized too closely around that central conflict at the cost of anything of interest to them outside of said conflict.

Axe Garian and Omegagreen like this.
  16. Nerd-with-a-Pencil

Nerd-with-a-Pencil Title Not Found

I think I read somewhere that Big Ape used to be an actual person, he just put his brain in a computer and his idiot scientists messed him up. A lot.

Anyway, my fave races are Hylotl, Novakid, and Floran, with Apex coming in close behind.

17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I think I remember reading such a Codex as well, but i'm skeptical on whether or not to believe it, considering how fork-tongued the MiniKnog is capable of being. :sneaky:

18. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I'm partial to the Indianapolis 500. Wait, what?

19. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

My favorites are:Avians > Hylotl > Floran.
    My reasons:
    Avians because they were my first ever character and I really like their background and lore, plus they look awesome.
    Hylotl because they have a nice looking ship and they have a fun building style, but they lose points for looking like fish.
    Florans because they are by far the most halarious race with golden inspection quotes. However, their ship looks bad and the building theme isn't too good.

20. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Personally I think the Humans scored the gold in terms of hilarious observations.

Vending Machine: Hey! It's the kind of slot machine where you win every time!
    NO ESCAPE graffiti: Challenge accepted.
    GET OUT graffiti: No YOU get out!

And many others. :D

Axe Garian likes this.