Favorite season/festival in-game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sunlite, Jul 20, 2017.

1. sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh, I'm bored so why not start a thread? Lol.

Just wondering if you guys have a personal preference for a season and/or festival and why.

My personal favorite season is Summer, honestly. The valley just feels so alive and breathtaking, where it feels desolate in winter and somewhat in fall. I also like Summer crops more than the Spring crops, and it also has my favorite festival, Dance of the Moonlight Jellies. I love that festival because it's honestly still enjoyable to watch the jellies. Also because it doesn't connect to any holidays irl (that are religious like Easter and Christmas, but I think it was a reference to glowing plankton? idek.)

Yoseiri and Seismothesaurus like this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Probably Spring if I had to pick one. After a long bleak winter staring at snow it always feels so nice to see everything green and alive again. You have the promise of the whole year ahead of you and you can start growing things again.
      Atmosphere wise, I really like Fall too. The colors, the sense of things winding down, the relaxing music...
      If I were to pick a favorite festival, I'd say Moonlight Jellies. It has no ties to any holiday, it's simply a celebration of nature and appreciating something rare and special.

Seismothesaurus, sunlite and Marco93 like this.
      • Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The flower dance and the spirit's eve could be improved (by letting you wear clothes that match the other dancers and by making the maze different each time). I like the moonlight jellies too. Winter Star is always fun picking out a gift and seeing who got you one.

I think spring is my favourite season, because I feel sorry for my animals shut inside all winter and you start to get bored with less stuff to do. Plus all the green and the pink blossoms are pretty.

LuthienNightwolf and sunlite like this.
        • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I actually got the "Get Dressed" mod and I made outfits for all the festivals and two for each season. It's fun to experiment with, my character gets tanner in the summer and paler in the winter.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm weird and like winter (IRL as well). I feel like there's more time to go adventuring or just have a quiet day and chill out. And it seems like there are twice as many dig spots in winter. I'm a sucker for the potential surprise contained in a dig spot, even though my heart knows it's going to be clay, lol. Same with geodes. They're like digital Kinder Eggs.
            Agreed about the jellies, for the same irreligious reason. I like that it's naturey and sciencey, and I like the atmosphere of nighttime festivals. I wish there were more original holidays tied to the world the story takes place in.

Borodin, LuthienNightwolf and sunlite like this.
            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Autumn's my favorite season in the game, for the colors and music. But my favorite festival is the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies. That really gives the village a sense of timelessness and of place-set-aside.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I wrote something comprehensive about this on another thread almost one year ago, so, I'll just snip my own words and post it back on this thread. (Why, yes, I can be lazier, why do you ask?)

Adding to that, as you might imagine, I can't help but feel a wriggling glee at Spirit's Eve, even if the maze is the same-old, same-old from year to year. I've... created a few new traditions for the night. I always wear a costume (either some sort of hat or the skull mask from the Adventurer's Guild if I have one) and carve a pumpkin or two, and then...

Trick or treating. Yup. Now, since you're not likely going to get many treats (Though I occasionally find some wild blackberries or a plum!), that leaves the tricks-- leaving Jack-o-lanterns on front porches, propping up a scarecrow in front of the window of Haley and Emily's house, or just setting off a cherry bomb on Old Man Mullner's doormat and running away. (That's George, if you didn't catch the time Penny mentions his last name.) Yes, I really do things like this after leaving the Spirit's Eve festival.

It's the little things that make this game special. :poke:

MasterYoba, Muny, wronghandle and 3 others like this.
                • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Summer is my favorite season in the game. It's a beautiful, colorful season with lots to do. I love it :)

And my favorite festival has got to be Feast of the Winter Star, it gives me the same fuzzy feeling christmas does. I love christmas irl and it can be christmas all year round as long as I play Stardew Valley :D
                  The Dance of the Moonlight Jellies is a close second though, it's just a lovely quiet event that never gets old.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I think, for me, I like Spring the best. I don't know about anyone else, but I find Winter to be sooooo long. By the time it's over, it feels like it's lasted as long as the other three seasons combined! When the first day of Spring arrives, and I go out to the nice green forest, it's like I finally woke up from a very very long suffocating sleep. Weird. I know.

As for festivals, while I find a number of them to be fun and cute, I think I have to agree with some others and say I like the Moonlight Jellyfish one the most. While there's really nothing to do there, it's so peaceful and relaxing... and the music is so nice... it's a wonderful way to end the day. Plus, since it's at the end of the day, you're not rushed to get your farming and other chores done before it starts, like a lot of the other ones.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                    • LuthienNightwolf

I know exactly what you mean about the winter to spring thing, that was my reasoning for picking it as well. n_n

• Marco93

Marco93 Star Wrangler

I guess I'd choose Spring.
                        I love the colours, I love the foraging flowers and berries and I love the idea of a new beginning, which might be a year or a life.
                        I don't like too much the festivals. Honestly I'm not much found of the Egg Hunt and the ball, though is pretty, I expected a little bit more, like a minigame or simply better moves.

Right now my favourite festival is the Festival of Ice: I love the fishing contest! :D

sunlite likes this.
                        • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Oh there's nothing weird about that, that's how I feel about winter irl and that's also the reason why spring is my favorite season irl. That first sunny chill spring day after a long and grey winter is just so amazing <3
                          But winter doesn't feel nearly as long in this game as it does irl, because I tend to go to bed super dooper early to speed through winter plus it's light outside for much much longer than irl.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Fall. Fall. FALL. FALL!!! I love the season of, you guessed it, FALL! O_O

But really, I enjoy Fall. Similar to real life for me. And I enjoy the Spirit's Eve Festival. I absolutely love it!
                            The haunted maze is so much fun for me. I could care less about the Golden Pumpkin. I love the fact that you can buy the Jack-O'-Lantern recipe and make one yourself using those amazing orange gourds. :3

sunlite likes this.
                            • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm I like spring because of the colours, summer for it's flowers and blueberries, fall because of it's events and crops and winter for relaxation and farm remodelling.
                              If I had to pick one favourite, I'd pick fall. It's always fun to consider which crops or products to bring for the display. Also the spirit's eve festival is one of the best. Cranberries and pumpkins are among my favourite crops and bring the most money (don't try to argue that one please. In my perfect world that's a hard fact :lolwut:)
                              I want to emphasize that winter might be boring but it is a needed season if you want to redecorate your farm or change it's production focus.

• Yaushibee

Yaushibee Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd say fall is definitely my favorite! The color palette it has is so nice (I love how CA went with a more purple-red instead of a more expected orange-red) and it has all my favorite crops. It's also nice knowing winter will be there soon and I'll have more freetime in-game to explore and not have to worry about any crops for awhile.

I find it interesting so many people's favorite event is the Moonlight Jellies one though. A lot of you said its because it's not based off any real holidays but I wonder if CA found inspiration for it from a children's book called "Night of the Moonjellies" by Mark Shasha. I know when I first experienced the event, I was reminded of the many times I read that book with my mother as a child and while it's not my favorite event (personally I really enjoy the Luau), I do have a soft spot for it because of it bringing back those fond childhood memories. :)

worldstraveller and sunlite like this.
                                • Clair de lune

Clair de lune Void-Bound Voyager

Fall is definitely my favorite - just in like in real life. The colours are gorgeous, the soundtracks are wonderful, it has my favourite crops and I love the overall a bit eerie yet beautiful atmosphere. Winter is a close one, though. Even if it's a bit boring since you have no crops to care for, I love how calm it is during that season.

I think the Moonlight Jellies is my favorite festival/event. It's something I would definitely like to see IRL too.

sunlite, Seismothesaurus and Marco93 like this.
                                  • LuthienNightwolf

Am I the only one who fills the gardens up with winter crops just to have something to tend in winter? lol

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I plant lots of winter crops in my first year just for the money, but after that I am too lazy or too busy redecorating the farm.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Nope, I do it too, mostly for the Crystal Fruits, though. (I run a limited edition batch of Crystal Fruit wine every winter! Look for the Mystic Moon label in fine stores all over the Coastal Ferngill area!)

MasterYoba, Roskii Heiral and Marco93 like this.
                                        • LuthienNightwolf

That's what I do with mine as well, the rest all get chucked into the shipping bin. I just like having *something* to water and take care of. I've suggested before having some winter crops but most people on that thread weren't into the idea because they somehow thought that'd force them into farming in winter.