1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinRaces 5.3

Enables racial abilities for all Vanilla races, and many modded ones too!

1. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Hey! I love playing with this mod, and I've been looking into adding custom support for races for personal use/to learn a bit more about how LUA works and was wondering if there's a good way to use Frackin Races as a dependency for racial ability addons for not-directly-supported race mods without directly modifying FR itself. I'm mostly unfamiliar with how LUA works beyond very basic stuff and modifying what you've already got, and doing so without overtly replacing files isn't something I know how to do, so any pointers would be appreciated. I know how to use patch files and use the JSON for the rest of things needed, but the LUA is what has me baffled - and is arguably the most important part.

More specifically, what files would I need to depend on/make my own versions of for an addon? How would I get the race or weapon effects to apply to characters without modifying the existing lua files?

Thanks for your time, sorry if these are stupid questions or I would need to provide more information on what I'm doing for help. I'm kind of learning as I go.

EDIT: Waaaaait. Can I patch LUA files like I can patch JSON files? That'd make this a heck of a lot easier.

EDIT 2: Okay no, that was probably stupid. I saw another mod try to implement it that way at some point and thought maybe I'd missed something, but I don't think I did. Back to square one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. amirmiked12

amirmiked12 Parsec Taste Tester

sayter i had position resist Aug equipped then ate raw meat.no effect.
    unequipped, effect appears
    is that a bug?

3. A-Vladimir

A-Vladimir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

4. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

sayter updated FrackinRaces with a new update entry:

Read the rest of this update entry...

jonathonspy likes this.
  5. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

So why play glitch if you install the Mantizi mod? Glitch only advantage is defense and they take twice as long to start regening energy, and kind of became the weakest race if not for the physical resistance but there is a race with better and no real weaknesses. I mean you made a race invincible with sword/shield yet glitch trade huge offense for less defense compared to that.

6. zenithBemusement

zenithBemusement Void-Bound Voyager

So.
    For some reason, this crashes 1.3 starbound for me.
    And I know it's this one, because I wasted 30 minutes adding mods to the mod folder 1 by 1 and starting up the game each time to see what breaks it.
    No idea why.

7. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

8. A-Vladimir

A-Vladimir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i mean add the description like for other races

9. jonathonspy

jonathonspy Existential Complex

don't they already have that as well?

10. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

(Reposting this here from the FU thread since it was in the wrong place.)

Actually, while we're it: On the information page showing all the racial abilities, it might be a good idea to add the diet type of each race so there's less confusion like this.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  11. LordRuin

LordRuin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

12. ALWAYSANGRON

ALWAYSANGRON Subatomic Cosmonaut

Noticed a bug.

BUG: attempting to upgrade the trink mining laser at the mining upgrade bench results in Trink mining laser disappearing, along with resources.

13. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

Will this get a update for the new races. Like the irkens, cubi, draconis, zombie, and all the new ones i didn't mention. I'm curious to see what will be the buffs for most of them. Like will draconis be immune to lava and deadlyheat planets but lost hp in cold planet. Would Cubi get a life steal buff when using a specific weapon?

14. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I have been receiving a few requests to include the Canids in the Frackin' Races Roster. I wanted to know if you would mind adding them.

15. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

Not to mention Penguins.

16. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

17. Senpai Deviljo

Senpai Deviljo Cosmic Narwhal

[video][/video]

my reaction now for meeting humans anywhere i go and they want to talk or follow me around.

18. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

> Immunities: Common sense, dignity

Honestly, he's not wrong.

19. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

20. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I went ahead and looked at the races but I didn't see any numbers or stats, and I cannot seem to find the github for frackin races to see the changes. Far as I could tell my glitch was still taking a long time to recover energy just as the test apex still had no real drawbacks(extra energy, no health penalties when full). It just didn't seem like they were changed because I don't see any numbers to make any comparisons.

Edit: So after figuring out what was wrong with the new races page(some things were not loading on my end), tested some of them out. Seems to me that florans are no longer gimped compared to apex, and are very powerful in the sun on any planet while being about on-par with humans during night time(with some elemental weaknesses/quirks) and a higher food consumption. I can live with that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017