1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FrackinUniverse 6.4.22

Enhance your starbound experience in every area. Massive mod.

1. NaturesWitness

NaturesWitness Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just be sure to put up background walls, and keep a few drains on hand while working, and it's easy. If not building on the actual seafloor, remember the Triton sub can be parked in mid-water and used as a handy platform to stand on while working. I haven't actually done bees in a seafloor base yet, but give them plenty of flowers and they should be fine. If you are on the seafloor, you can just build down a short distance and you'll get past the point where background blocks generate water, at which point it's no different than building anywhere else.

For the water, just build a sealed chamber with a pump in it, and knock out a few background blocks. Use ITDs to send the water straight into centrifuges for infinite hydrogen and deuterium for fuel. Build a conversion chamber for infinite healing water, and hydroponics runs forever. Build one for poison, and centrifuge it for carbon and toxic waste, which gives uranium. Swamp water, plus the contaminated water byproducts from the other ones, gives you all the DNA samples, tissue cultures, nutrient paste, and genetic material you'll ever need.
    With clever use of pumps, spouts, and ITDs, you can automate the ENTIRE process, so while you're fiddling around crafting stuff a lot of your basic supplies get created by themselves.

If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll take a few screenshots of my setups.

Toa_Derax and greenwiz29 like this.
  2. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

please do i'm having a carbon shortage atm :p

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Sounds like a lot of work to set it up though lol.

But, just the idea of an underwater base itself, even if it weren't automated to such levels, it'd still be something different to do. Even though I'd probably use my streamlined layout that I always use (wish I could think up of another).

Actually now that I type that... I got an idea.....

Problem is, to make any GOOD labs, you gotta wait until you tech up BUT, waiting until you tech up is hard to do because of the sheer inventory management issues.

Anywho I got an idea involving rail trams that could be pretty neat. But again. Need wiring station, durasteel etc. Not sure I feel like playing "what do I drop to pick this up?" every few minutes for a good portion of the game.

Suppose I could stuff a bunch of 48 slot lockers on my ship and just dump junk in there until I get the lab built tho. But that still means minimal FU progression until Durasteel.

4. NaturesWitness

The Enhanced Storage mod is your friend :nuruhappy:.
    1 - Go around the starter mine dungeon a bit and hoover up every container in sight.
    2 - Then, use a growing tray and a basic well to farm up 1000 pixels.
    3 - Go to the Outpost and buy a Storage Extractor from the guy there.
    4 - Throw all the wooden crates and crap from step 1 into it, and get a huge pile of storage matter.
    5 - Go back to the Outpost, and use the Storage Manipulator to print out a few 300 slot chests.

And with the Enhanced Storage mod, you can auto sort the stuff, label the containers, pick them up and take all the contents with you, or whatever.

rylasasin, spiraluna and fernworrier like this.
  5. DishtingBaba

DishtingBaba Big Damn Hero

I'm new to Starbound mods so can someone please help me out with the CAT Network Mod. I don't know how to use it.

6. ryanbriley

ryanbriley Void-Bound Voyager

Any images of your mechs and there parts for this mod or if there any custome made one at all?

7. fernworrier

and this is what i do. i make a few small chest then up them to store 300 items each in them.

8. NaturesWitness

@fernworrier Here's something I threw together. I'll try to explain it.
    Demonstration.png

In the bottom right we have a water intake. The top part of the chamber has no backwall, so it creates water. Opening the hatch allows it to fall into the lower half, where the pumps collect it, and the ITD puts it in the barrel.

In the bottom left we have a converter. Water from the top barrel is placed into the spout (note that you have to use a Storage Bus to place the water into the Spout, do not wire directly to it. The item network system is wonky that way).
    When the water pours out of the Spout, it touches the single block of Poison below the Spout. This causes it to turn into Poison itself, after which it flows down to the bottom of the chamber where the pumps pick it back up.

In the top we have a Centrifuge. Poison placed in the barrel on the left is placed into the Centrifuge by the ITD, and the results (carbon, toxic waste, and contaminated water) are pulled out by a second ITD and placed in the chest.

Note that the centrifuge part does require configuring the ITDs to take from and place to the correct slots. I'd probably make a confusing mess of trying to explain this part, but your Codex should have an entry on the CAT item network that has a pretty good explanation.

That's some of the basics. Eventually you can do all sorts of routing with ITDs to directly connect things to each other, and you end up with something like this:
    Fluid Lab.png

and here's the wiring ;)
    Fluid Lab Wires.png
    Yes this took a while, and yes it was a huge headache. But it does work, and I think it looks pretty cool.

Veles and Toa_Derax like this.
  9. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

It's cool. No need to be defensive about it. It is as it always is - we ask what we'd like, we get what we get regardless of whether or not it's what we want. I get the drill :)

Was just after some clarification given the implication. This isn't another "but, but... realism" debate, otherwise we open the can of worms like how solar should be more efficient in space than in the atmosphere of a planet, it should always work in space IF we assume the solar panels are on the side always pointing to the sun, distance from sun etc. Now THAT sounds like a mess of code :)

10. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

Also, with space stations, after having played around with it for a bit, not really going to do much with them anymore. Maybe a small station with a mech assembly bay and a merchant or two. Colonies and other stuff seem better served planetside given that so much isn't that great with it. For example, the colony level thing. If it matched the system you were in, would be much more interested building them but there's no point right now.

11. fernworrier

oooowwwww my brain... i'm still tring to figure out how to even use the item transer things and i can't figure out how :( and yes i read the coadex still makes no since to me.

12. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

I feel you buddy. The basic input/output I can work out fine but the filters for inputs and outputs does my head in. Haven't worked it out fully.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Dear Lord that sounds like something that would create a mountain of lag. The 128-slot containers can sometimes cause a good 5 or so FPS drop when I get near my base, I could only imagine what a 300 slot one (or multiple!) would do.

And I don't know if 300 slots would even fit on my 1360x768 resolution, lol. 128 slot containers take up nearly half the screen.

14. Kain777

Kain777 Void-Bound Voyager

Excellent mod, thank you very much for your hard work and your time.
    Much appreciated.

Xylia likes this.
  15. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

And in related news: The critically acclaimed group "Bee Refuge" has seen a massive increase in bee turn-ins, specifically of queen bees, as bee stocks continues to plummet sharply. So much in fact that there is now a concern that the Bee Refuge will soon run out of items to reinburse them with. This comes in the wake of a mysterious illness that has rendered the previously lauded healing powers of honey an almost moot point. This mysterious event has caused a lot of bee owners to simply pack up their bee farms and move to greener professions. "If they ain't healin' anymore, they aint worth keepin' around". One former bee owner told reporters, even going so far as to call the bees he once cared for "no longer of any real use to anyone."

16. Albirei

Albirei Phantasmal Quasar

Play as Avali (if you don't have it, get it). Your carbon costs for graphene have now been eliminated.

17. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

I was under the impression though that the Avali graphene was a different kind of graphene than the FU one.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Unless he changed it, no? It just has a different icon if you have Avali installed.

It is kinda cheap though.

19. NaturesWitness

If honey jars are for gaining resistances now, wouldn't it make sense to ditch the whole "fedhoney" debuff mechanic? It feels unnecessary, especially as no other source of resists, ie plants, have a mechanic to block you from using them.

20. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

The Expanded Storage Mod isn't a part of this mod.

Yup, he changed it. Avali Graphene is even called something different. Avali version is "Woven Graphene" and resembles a circle with honeycombs in it. FU Graphene is just "Graphene" and looks like a couple of black yarn strings woven together. Most importantly, the item names are different, so you can't make FU stuff with Avali graphene.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017