1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Traditional (FURRY ART) My Traditional way of art

Discussion in 'Art' started by leonD, Jun 29, 2013.

1. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

Well First hiho there and a kind of warning too.

Im a long time furry traditional artist (in honor) and i am not part of the (dang well known (mostly in a bad way)) furryfandom.

So i dont wana hear now something about "yiff in hell" "furfag" or stuff like coz im not part of that.

So i will show here some art i made, draw, create or how ever you wana call that ^^

I post the direct links so you only must click on it ^^

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/158/6/b/a_way_of_life_wallpaper_by_watheanum-d684dbn.png

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/104/c/6/the_one_and_only_fox_by_watheanum-d61or60.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...into_my_little_world_by_watheanum-d5rgzjz.jpg

that are just some samples. i dont SHOW here adult/mature stuff, sorry. if you really wana see them you can ASK. ALso i dont wana break here the rulz, so i dont post it here for others, just ask, i dont bite...

still enjoy.

2. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Hell yes. Hand coloured paper. How long it has been?

3. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

let the think. 1 hour for script and ink good 1 1/2 for coloring + 1/2 for shading so round about 3 hours per pic i can say ^^"

Mianso likes this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Awesome. Well done. :up:

5. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

6. Seburo

Seburo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ohhhhhhh, I like. :D

7. Jonesy

8. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

Jonesy likes this.
  9. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mature filter's probably on because itcould be called a pin-up

10. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

Jonesy likes this.
  11. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

I upload now here a lil special from my a bit older artwork.

A bit ago i drawn (ones per month) the "WWW" series. A kind of B/W comic where i make fun/jokes about video game logics. i made 30 comics till i changed it in the now running WWW-FS series

The full pack from the comics can you NOW download here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zprshu
    press on the blue "Click here to start download from sendspace" to download it ^^

i hope you enjoy it. if you dont get some jokes you can ask me about.

12. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

Seburo, BlastRed and Jonesy like this.
  13. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

...and that is artwork when i GET some ^^ (artwork not from me but my character, mobian styled)

[​IMG]

Drakeflake and Jonesy like this.
  14. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

again when i got artwork ^^

[​IMG]

15. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

16. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I see you tend to use the SEGA model for anthro art. If youd mind some advice from me, I wouldnt mind putting some criticism to your art. (Ill try to make it constructive :) )

First off, your art is rather pretty, in an amateurish way. Why do I say it is amateurish?

Well, your style of drawing, while it shows off a character you seem to know and love, using smooth and concise lines, is a style very much used by many other artists. I personally know of several artists who have done the exact same marker-and-pencil style SEGA Anthro that you are doing now. It is a very difficult style to get down beautifully due to Sonics... sad reputation for terrible fanart. However, that said, you seem to know about basic shading, although you seem to suffer from arbitrary shading issues. Choose a side of light you want to portray from, or several, and go for it! You also suffer from a problem when using markers, where you eventually have to end the stroke, but you can totally see the streak as well as the dark blotch where the marker was lifted and had more time to leech the ink.
    My suggestion? You might be suffering from lack of materials. I tried this method of drawing myself, with similar results. :rofl: However, I can obviously see that you care about your character by how concise and smooth the lines are. Try watercolors, pastels (I personally love using pastels, even though theyre expensive as heck, theyre like smooth crayons!) or whats all the rage, use a tablet with Photoshop or a similar program on it. :)

Second suggestion, and this will probably be controversial, as many people are want to say the opposite. But please be more subtle about the size of the breasts. This does not mean you do not need to keep them in corsets or something, it merely means, be more subtle about the fact that your characters that you draw are female. Eyelashes, bone structure, even smile and hairstyle (should a SEGA character warrant a unique one) can contribute to the idea of feminism without even touching the size of the breasts. Id like to look at some eye-catching art, not immediately be drawn and disgusted by tanuki-sized genitelia and skin-tight clothing. That also indicates a lack of skill in making the clothing stand out, and is actually something I remember struggling with when drawing my avatar. (not the one on the Starbound Forums :rofl: )

My suggestion? Look up some basic cartooning tutorial stuff! I mean, you dont have to change your style, but what I've found out is learning things outside of what you're used to tends to benefit you greatly in the future. Learn to hang clothes on a mannequin drawing, instead of trying to draw clothes with the general outline of your character.

That said, you have potential to take your art further, should you wish. You seem to be quite in need of study, and you have yet to find an interesting new style to use, but if you're doing this for fun, Ill understand if you just dump me down a pit and go on with what you're doing. At least you manage to get the basic essence of your stuff out :)

17. Jonesy

Jeez Louise, that is some of the most insightful advice I've ever seen. One part amuses me, though.

Has anyone told that to the bloke making Dragon's Crown?

18. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Or Dominic Deegan... :zzz:

Jonesy likes this.
  19. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooowwwwwwwwwwwww criticism is nice but you dont really said i uase a stlye like SEGAs mobians DONT you? and with the marker thing and leek of color: i draw now since 2005 ^^ and i began with markers 2006 i guess, at the beginning, very bad but after the time i use the "special effect" from the markers mostly for the fur ^^ aaaaand with the lack of materials *opens the cupboard* let me see: 20 blocks white paper, 5*10 pack color pencils, 5 special line up pencils, rubbers, markers in the worth over 200$ and what not ^^. i just WANT to draw with thisthats it ^^ and for the breast size of my chars im sorry you saw here shard my skunk lady who got the 2nd big "pair" of it. i work of it of course to find still the "right size" for bt i keep working, if you wana see more about, note me (i cant show the mature stuff here). but the blue fox one over me is -NOT- female. ^^

but of course i understood your criticism. I still say myself i learn, im not a pro. I mostly work on the background still coz i have lack of time and my bgs ending up in more simpler style.

here now a sample (a bit teasing but nothing to see)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/179/3/e/my_guardian_angel_by_watheanum-d6b25ty.jpg

[​IMG]

I tired here to work on a soft background and a teasing touch with cuteness. Also i drw more as hobby. Next to this i dont like it if someone says i use a "SEGA" style heheh ^^ coz i dont draw mobian. i only tried it 1-2 times to create/morth my characters in that style. here a sample, my main character W.A. the Anum (hes MALE)

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/050/a/9/just_take_a____bath__too__by_watheanum-d5vi59n.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THAT is it when i use SEGA style :rofl: (and im not good in it X3)

So artwork is more a hobby for me. im not a attantionwhore or something like but of course i like it when people love it. ^^ Sometimes i dont draw only furrys, i also draw some wierd fan art like

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2..._mode_in_mario_bros__by_watheanum-d6aa694.jpg

[​IMG]

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...home___pic_and_story_by_watheanum-d49wvn4.jpg

[​IMG]

hehehe yea and that with the dress stuff, i work on it but its more that a lot furry artists forget/forgott that furrys have FUR and not skin, so thats why my characters "chests" mostly so fluffy (fans said).
    I take a bit time if i work on a good dress like this here

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/311/b/8/lvl_up___2012_by_watheanum-d5k9x1r.jpg

[​IMG]

but a lot people who watch and look my art know how my style works and how it looks ^^ and what i draw :rofl:

so thankis again for the "feedback" :D

till then another older (but funny) pic :rofl:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/336/6/0/calendar_2013_nr_11_by_watheanum-d5mtecc.jpg

[​IMG]

Bandethor and Jonesy like this.
  20. Jonesy

That's very nice work. But you may want to spoiler it, because that is the biggest post I have ever seen.

Bandethor and SLOW_oranges like this.