Game titles from Hell

Discussion in 'Games' started by I_am_the_Storm, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Well I guess I finally should make this post. The game that comes to mind is Diablo 3. Big surprise there, right? Some back story is in order I think. I played D2 for around 8 years, 5 on the realms and about 3 in modded single player. I was a very serious player. My brother got me into it when he bought me my first copy. He and I played every day for hours (sometimes as many as 20) and we essentially built an empire of wealth and characters. Tried dozens of unique builds and experimented with all sorts of items and skills. At our peak it was my brother, his at-the-time wife, my at-the-time girlfriend, and me playing. My brother and I became somewhat famous for our Baal runs and free torch service (you would supply the keys and we would run the ubers and get your torch). I was a well-known person on my main sorc in ch1 chat. My brother and I would make games to drop entire characters' gear worth of items for newbs. It got to the point that he and I would co!our hunt for gear to wear in chat. So, I was very much in love with D2.

So when D3 was announced I was very excited. I followed development with earnest. When the release date was revealed I pre-ordered a copy of the collector's edition for day 1 play. Hell, I even built a new computer just to play it! I loved it at first. But ... well it didn't last. I could go on and on about the flaws of the game and where it fails but I won't (also I'm typing this on my tablet and it's annoying). Basically, Diablo 3 is a decent game on its own. But it does not live up to its legacy and is a terrible Diablo game. And the problems like powercreep only seem to be getting worse because it very much seems like the devs don't know or care what they're doing. Don't get me wrong. I still play it and still have fun. But I'm very ultra casual now.

I_am_the_Storm likes this.
  2. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In my opinion... the biggest issue with Diablo III is the need of internet connection (like 70% of modern games). My connection during the day is approximately 20 - 35kb/s and during the night is 2 -3Mb/s, so there is no way how to play Diablo III or any game that needs internet to play, such as World of Warcraft. Diablo II is clear choice for people like me, and with mods like Median XL, it's even better than Skyrim (and I like Skyrim a lot).

Pangaea likes this.
  3. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

For me it was Halo 4 and 5, Halo was always a game I could sit down and enjoy firefight or playing with my brothers on the couch, but Halo 4 seriously killed that, and Halo 5 even more. They were disappointments in my opinion, I loved Reach though.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've got a load of games on Steam that I thought would be awesome, I played them, tried to like them but just..... couldn't... get into it.

I wouldn't say they are "From Hell", but they are just games I could not "connect" with... well, here's my list, just browsing the Steam Library:

Cities: Skylines. Oh, how I WANTED to love this game. The game is awesome, don't get me wrong, but there's this one game-breaking issue I have with it, that causes me to not be able to play the game: TRAFFIC. Oh how much I HATE HATE HATE this. I hate how picky the game's AI is about Traffic. Your entire town will just downright break down because of how picky the traffic is. See, I want to build a city. I don't necessary need it to be ultra-realistic. I miss the days of Sim City 3000 where you could just build something that looks reasonable and it would just WORK. But noooo, Cities: Skylines had to go ultra-realistic with traffic, to the point you need a freaking degree in city planning and traffic to build a city that won't shut itself down once you get up to a certain population, with dead bodies and garbage piling up everywhere. You can have loads and loads of stuff like subways, busses, etc but it won't help. *sigh* Can someone please make a usable port of SC2K or SC3K or something? I don't want ultra-realistic. I just want relaxing fun building something.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess. Another game I thought for sure I was going to like! It had tactics (kinda like M&M Heroes), it had exploration.... it's also ridiculously hard, and unforgiving whatsoever. Once you get a little ways into the game, everything, and I mean everything, rates "Tough" or "Impossible" to you and you run out of things to actually gain XP on, and don't get me started on the boss fights. Oi. I fought this one "boss" fight in some dwarven area where I had just killed some enemies that were do-able... the boss has two phases and it annihilated my whole army in the first phase. *sigh* I don't understand this love affair with impossible games.

Valdis Story: A metroid-vania with RPG elements. What isn't there to like!? Gameplay is nice and smooth, the exploration and metroidvania mechanics are done nicely... and when I first played it, the game did not have DirectInput, though but they later added it.... oh wait, it's yet another game with a bunch of blasphemy. *sigh* This is something that is really annoying me, is how many games coming out that paints Angels and Demons as both bad guys and we humans are the good guys. *rolls eyes* It's getting old and it seems like everybody's wanting to do that these days. Darksiders, Diablo, Valdis Story.... and who knows how many more. If it weren't for the blasphemy, the game would have been fun and enjoyable.

Witcher: This series looked like it would have been a decent RPG... but there's too much sex and sexual overtones for my taste. The main character is basically your average man that just wants to get between every girl's legs around, and of course all of these girls are nearly throwing themselves at him and that's just the *first* game. The second game and beyond, being done in more modern times, well of course the nudity just gets worse...

Ys6: Ark of Napishtim: I wanted to like this game, I gave it another chance (I have it on PS2 also), but yet again, the stupid dreaded mechanic of Double-Tap Dash rears its ugly, ugly head. Why do developers keep thinking that Double-Tap is a good control mechanic? IT ISN'T SO PLEASE STOP DOING THIS KTHX. Double-Tap sucks, ESPECIALLY as a Dash mechanic. It almost never works, and the few times it does work, it happens when you don't want it to happen, and when you DO want it to happen (especially if you are going to REQUIRE It to be paired with a jump), it's not going to happen and you're going to fall short on that jump.

And for runner-up, I'm going to add The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind to this list. I'm trying to play it right now, and I'm not sure how long I will be able to stomach it. I don't like the to-hit dice rolls, I don't like how slow your walking speed is, I don't like the lack of fast-travel until much later, hoping that once I get some more speed and athletics skill that I can move faster than a baby can crawl.

But I'm already losing interest in it, despite a little fun I've had with it, so... time will tell if it will end up on this list in the "games I never finished" category.

5. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sad and true. I don't own Cities: Skylines, Valdis Story, and YS6: Ark of Napishtim, though, so I can't provide my opinion. But I have King's Bounty, Witcher and TES 3 GOTY (CD versions from game shop) and all what you said is true.
    King's Bounty looks like a 'remake' of HoMaM; the gameplay is similar, but it doesn't have such quality. Small amount of units, very hard for casual players, bugs, unability to generate random maps... Much better choice is HoMaM III Complete Edition with mod called In Wake of Gods.

The Witcher is boring, in my opinion. To much sexual content -as you mentioned-, lack of freedom or lack of usable equipment and skills are quite annoying. Good combat system, though. But even graphic can't save it.

And finally, TES 3: Morrowind was awesome, back in the days of release. I've played TES : Arena a lot, and I was happy to play it. I didn't noticed the bugs and unbalanced gameplay mechanics, when I've played it for few times. Now I do; seriously bugged those flying creatures (I can't remember the name), somehow fast opponents, crashing to desktop and/or idiotic behavior. I don't say it's a bad game. I like every part of TES saga, they just need some polishing. Although TES 3 has still less game-breaking bugs than non-patched TES 2: Daggerfall.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There are mods for Morrowind that make it stable, as I said I started playing it again and after these mods, I've been able to play ~4 sessions at 2-3 hours each without a single CTD on Windows7 64-bit. I can even alt-tab it since I run it windowed to fill most of the screen, and it doesn't crash or do anything stupid whatsoever. There are mods that gets rid of cliff racers but to be honest I didn't install it because it's not THAT big of a problem, in fact, they help me level up stuff I need to level up, lol.

Oh, I forgot to mention the AWFUL levelup system. Yuck. Oblivion did the same thing, but thankfully they changed it a little that it doesn't hurt as bad, but Morrowind. Eeew. Right now I'm sitting at Lv2 scratching my head trying to figure out how I'm going to try for at least three *3s so I don't waste the levelup, lol.

7. Aytie

Aytie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Life of Black Tiger

Here's the thing about this game. The only real decent thing about it is its cover art.
    [​IMG]

Even then, it's stolen artwork of some wallpaper.
    [​IMG]

Alright so now that we've got that out of the way. The game itself is so horribly put together that it's laughable. To make it even more funny, it's a PS4 title. Hear that? A PS4 TITLE.
    It's only $10... but why? It should be $3 at most. Want to know why? Look at this gameplay...

It's a meme! Sony... Come on.

8. RogueZephyr

RogueZephyr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm going through this right now with the Command and Conquer Ultimate edition pack on Origin. Now, before I begin, I adore the Command and Conquer series, but EA need to get a grip! You can't just put a game that ran on Windows 95 when it was released and expect it to run! That's pretty much exactly what they have done!

Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn doesn't work
    Red Alert doesn't work!
    Tiberium Sun and Firestorm don't work!

And it gets even better! They've even broken the newer games as well! I couldn't run C&C 3 for Petes sake!

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

They probably expect you to boot Win98 SE on Virtual Machine or something.

But then again, if it's accessed from Origin, can you even do that?

10. RogueZephyr

Probably not, although at least the older games have been released as freeware, so you don't have to go through Origin. There are a bunch of fan made patches, and even those guys can't work out how EA has screwed up so badly.

I miss my Mammoth Tanks :(

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Heh.

Typical EA.

They just shovel their crap out the door, kinda like everything else. I mean look at how botched Andromeda was when it first came out. Oi.

Glad indie developers like Chucklefish and Re-Logic don't follow that philosophy. They release stuff when it has been tested and it is good and ready. Well, SB was released as a Beta, but it had very obvious "BETA" tags on it and it was very obviously Early Access, nobody who bought SB during Early Access was led to believe it was a complete game at the time.

This just goes to show why ME3 was the last EA game I ever bought, and I don't have plans of buying any more.

12. RogueZephyr

It spits in the face of all the work Westwood Studios put into making them, to be honest. And I love the way Chucklefish is doing things. So many companies could learn from their example

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, WW was yet another of the companies that were eaten by EA... along with Bioware.

Remember Pre-EA Bioware?

14. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My Summer Car. I love this game, but I don't have a steering wheel controller so driving is a nightmare. You can't just smoothly turn the wheel and hold it, you can only turn it like a person with ADHD who has permanent panic attack. Or a 60 years old guy who desperately wants to have a driving license. It took me a while to adjust the "steering help" in the menu options, and I'm not gonna lie - it was f*ing infuriating. Playing this game with keyboard and mouse is actually harder than driving a real car.

It can be pretty rough for keyboard peasants like me, but this game is still one of my favorites, even if it's not a 0.0001bit platformer from prehistoric era.

15. RogueZephyr

Barely. It's floating around somewhere in the memories of the dim and distant past.

16. SurealLustHunter

SurealLustHunter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Firefall. It makes me sad how such a great game was single-handedly reduced to a smoldering wreak of a game after alot of internal fighting and a publisher demanding too much from them. I missed playing that game with all my friends just messing around, playing "Dodge the thumper before you're crushed" or "Hide 'n go seak, planetary edition". It was a super fun game before they couldn't remember what kind of game they were making and started changing every aspect of the game with each major patch.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Baldur's Gate.... Baldur's Gate 2... Icewind Dale... even Neverwinter Nights.

I lost many an hour to these games, not that I'm really complaining. Though I will admit that Dragon Age: Origins... even though it was Post-EA, was still enjoyable, but I think that's about where the Bioware fun ended.

18. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp.

Happy Bakery, on DS.

This game's freaking demonic, and I'm saying that as a pink whale .-.

19. Dragon_Knight02

Dragon_Knight02 Space Spelunker

Bound by Flame. The combat mechanis already bored me in the first hour. It's just too slow.