Game titles that need remakes with modern technology.

Discussion in 'Games' started by STCW262, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I'd also love to see Trine 3 remade on a new engine that, well, isn't broken beyond repair. The game itself looked really good (like all Trine games do) and the story was good enough. I didn't even hate the new 3D aspect as much as I thought I would. But while playing it with my then-friends, the physics were broken beyond relief and I found multiple ways to glitch myself out of the map.
    [​IMG]

They wouldn't even need to make better textures or anything, as long as they just fix the damn engine.

Another one is that I don't exactly need it, nor does the game, but I'd still be interested to see what they could do with the original Portal now that there's a better source engine.

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Why does FO:NV need a remake? Nothing wrong with it the way it is now. It runs just fine on modern PCs and the graphics are not THAT bad. In fact, I'm not even entirely sure why they think Skyrim needed a remaster, other than it was rather easy to do because everything was right there, they just had to make a few tweaks.

That, and you know, while FO:NV uses Bethesda's engine, it is not actually a Bethesda game.

STCW262 likes this.
  3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hmm, back on topic... games I'd really love to see re-done, and done right, are the various Final Fantasy games.

Oh, I know, SE just released a slew of remakes, but they did a rather poor job of it.

They seriously did not treat the games with respect that they should have. They used lazy ports of mobile versions, and some of the re-releases are actually missing content that is found on other versions (such as the After Years missing a huge chunk of story and the final dungeon and missing many of the bosses therein), some of it is buggy, the controls don't work properly and in FFV's case, the tiles don't line up properly, so you see little gaps in between the tiles (seriously? an indie game can do better than that).

What SE did was just a huge cash grab, and that's rather insulting to any Final Fantasy fan who views/viewed these games with respect because of all the fond memories they brought.

So, SE should re-do them....AGAIN... and do it RIGHT this time.

Rather than hilariously low-res 3D models, I'd rather they'd have stuck to high-res 2D sprites (like in the PSP's version of FF4/After Years! That one looked rather nice), and I wish they would stop using ridiculously gaudy font choices for PC releases that just simply do not look right whatsoever.

And of course, for FF7 and FF8, they need to throw out the midi music. C'mon, SE, this is 2016... nobody uses midi in gaming nowadays. Especially not when they have full-quality .oggs floating around. Worse yet, I don't know about FF8 but in FF7, they used .oggs that are basically a wave recording of the midis of the PC version that was released 10+ years ago. Say what? lol, does that make any sense?

But... I know we're never gonna get those re-releases. Sadly, SE does not care about the franchise that made them the game-making giant they are. They'd rather vehemently attack fans who make rom hacks (just like Nintendo...) that don't suck, rather than making content themselves that we would gladly buy if it didn't suck.

Parrotte likes this.
  4. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

But why improve the round wheel if you can reinvent it? Square wheels were always an interesting concept.
    Although I must admit to not having played many final fantasy games like the heretic I am, Final Fantasy 8 was really fun to play. Kinda got stuck on the part with the space station where Rinoa gets kinda possessed. Our disks were damaged ;(
    Also saw my brother play FFIX.

It seems like a trend nowadays, to take a good old game and then try to reinvent it, ruining all it stood for.

5. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

I do know, Onsidian did one of the best Western RPGs of all time the game in 18 measely months, but i do feel the potato faces from Fallout 3 hurting more for a rehash than the perfectly standing on its own graphics from Skyrim, not incredible but it is somewhat beautiful and well, MODS.
    Mods, as great as they are can't fix Gamebryo's Oblivion/Fo3/FoNV away from jankyness

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It's not so much that, it's their shoddy re-releases.

Now, yeah, they did try to re-invent the wheel several times, but it was usually OK and acceptable (though FF8 is kinda pushing the limits) except for FF3. FF3... I just plain didn't like because there was no predictability, rhyme or reason as to how the characters gained stats.

7. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Morrowind with vastly improved combat and stealth system, some bug fixes, more stable engine. Quest marker would be helpful, simple big white "X" on a map would be good enough because journal descriptions aren't always accurate. More interactive and "living" NPCs that behave naturally instead of walking aimlessly like robots. And of course character creation menu that is at least on Skyrim's "Race Menu" mod level, so you can modify almost every single part of your character... or create a monster that wishes to never wake up again.
    The only modern "improvements" I wouldn't like to see is being unable to fail most of the quests, locking important locations with unbreakable plot-lock and making every important NPC immortal.

I know there's Oblivion, Skyrim and Skywind but these games don't even have all of the features that Morrowind had.

Parrotte likes this.
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The problem with a lot of the "features" that you're saying Morrowind had, are not features that I would actually lament, such as that asinine leveling system with the Major/Minor/Misc skills and the x1X3 x5 system. I HATED that system, because it punished players for using the wrong skills at the wrong time.

Also, some of the skills like Athletics and Acrobatics were just junk filler skills that were really not needed (Skyrim proves this, Skyrim has great gameplay and the skills are not missed at all).

Now you could make arguments for stuff like alchemy equipment affecting how good your potions are, but meh. Again, Skyrim's alchemy is good enough that I can't really say I miss it.

There was the system where you could ask NPCs about various topics that you hear in conversations... but that would be a bit difficult to implement in a game that has voice-acted lines (Morrowind, fully voice-acted, would have had more than 50x the total dialogue than Skyrim or even Oblivion). In fact, again, I'm thinking Skyrim had the better of it, because think about it. Every other NPC you clicked on gave you a minimum of 500 words in their dialogue box... each NPC would have a 3-5 minute speech every time you clicked a dialogue option.

Who do you know IRL who talks that much to a total stranger?

That's why Skyrim's dialogue system is much more realistic. Nobody exposes their entire life story to a perfect stranger who merely walks up to them.

So what other features are you speaking of?

Parrotte likes this.
  9. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I would like to combine ice and lightning to start a thunderstorm.
    I've never been a mage in Morrowind but my brother was and the way how dualcasting two different spells at once created a whole new one.
    And acrobatics was kinda a filler spell but didn't it also influence dodge chance? I dunno, I either axed the crap out of everything or got the crap axed out of me.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Another thing I HATED about morrowind was the dice roll system. lol. Whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff whiff at the beginning of the game really turned me off.

The dualcasting thing, well... you can kinda-sorta do that in Skyrim, but it probably isn't as detailed. They could probably work on that a bit.

11. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

[​IMG] \
    Yeah no, my tactic as aspiring heavy two-handed weapons guy was to book it far and wide. It just wasn't worth it to try and attack them.
    The dice roll system was both a boon and a bane. It could mean you didn't get poisoned by enemies but at the same time it could mean the enemies would not get poisoned. And there were certain enemies like cliff racers and dremora lords, where you didn't want RNGesus to bone you over. But I often found that random small critters like rats would just pour the diseases all over you, like you were some kind of W40k Nurgle plaguebearer.

12. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Drunk people can talk that much to a stranger. First village in Skyrim - Riverwood. You already have two guys constantly moaning about their relationship issues to a person they have never seen before.
    Yeah athletics were annoying, without investing into them and speed attribute your character moves like he's in a constant slow motion mode. Add heavy equipment on top of that and it will lead even a saint to a mental breakdown.

Morrowind had spellmaking which allowed you to create almost any spell you want, same thing with enchanting that is very limited in Skyrim. It's also a good money sink.

Persuasion could be used on any NPC instead of just giving you better prices. But it's better to remove this option completely than have a persuasion minigame like in Oblivion, that's for sure. You just can't use your 100 speech skill to make someone like you or provoke a fight.

Armour was separated into more parts and could be worn over clothing. Not very useful unless you're planning to go wild with enchanting and turn your character into ultimate deathlord of doom, but you could make your enemies look dumb with your superior fashion taste.
    You had spears, throwing weapons and crossbows right from the start, no DLC or mods needed. If I remember correctly they were added in the Dawnguard DLC, but you couldn't pick them up from dead Dawnguard patrols if you haven't touched their main quest.

In Morrowind animals didn't report crimes. In Skyrim there's a chance that a random elk or a chicken will literally snitch on you. Merchants didn't have any magical ability to detect stolen items, unless you'll try to rob them and sell it back to them. The only downside is that once you commit a crime in Morrowind every single NPC on the entire island knows about it. That's another thing that should be improved, Skyrim did it better even if some farm animals are undercover agents.

They could also add locational damage, even in Skyrim it doesn't matter where you shoot your enemy unless it's a raised shield. Daedric boots with 500 armour rating is enough to keep someone safe from melee attacks, even if the rest of his body is completely naked. I think Morrowind had some kind of locational damage because you can clearly hear when something hits unprotected body part, but I'm 99% sure that it was completely random and didn't even matter. It just didn't raise your armour skill, it raised unarmoured skill instead.

Parrotte likes this.
  13. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

The old Tomb Raider games, up to The Angel of Darkness. Especially The Angel of Darkness.
    Il-2 1946, GTA 3 and Vice City, Demon's Souls, the original Hitman series.

14. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Spore, too bad its buried beneath EA. Make it look better, and improve upon the features.

15. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

SimAnt
    SimEarth
    Z

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Too bad Maxis was one of the companies swallowed up by EA....

They had some cool ideas, and WHAM. EA came and they went to crap. Compare Sim City 3000 to SC4.

Sim City 3000 was cool, SC4 made a lot of dumb changes, and won't even run on any computer I've attempted to play it with. Well ok, it'll run but it'll CTD every 30 minutes or so.

Chrillzilla likes this.
  17. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

EA ruins a lot of games from the companies they "Assimilate", this is why I tend to compare them to the Borg.

Speaking of games that could use a face lift, the older Command & Conquer games (Everything before C&C 3, This is the point EA screwed up games form Westwood Studios).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  18. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

Battle Isle series was awesome! Today i think Advance Wars is what comes close in terms of to basic gameplay but that's not quite it. Would love to see that again.

19. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

More Advance Wars in general.

20. Killerhurtz

Killerhurtz Poptop Tamer

An old game called Re-Volt. RC car racing game.

I'm actually working on that one. Might take some time, but by god I will make it happen.