1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Game won't start on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac / Linux Bug Reports' started by Trashlord666, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Trashlord666

Trashlord666 Space Hobo

I recently bought Stardew Valley for Mac. It said there was a shortcut on my desktop, but I wasn't able to find it. Furthermore, when I tried to open the game from Steam, It opened for a few seconds with a black screen before closing the program.
    I understand this topic has been addressed before, but unfortunately every method I try doesn't seem to work. I've restarted Steam as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the game. The "open local files" method wont work for me, and I can't find "ErrorLogs" anywhere on my computer. My computer is updated enough to run the game as well (it's a MacBook Pro v. 10.10.5), if anyone knows what I should do I would greatly appreciate it!

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

The saves & error logs are in a hidden folder. So you'll need to have hidden folders/files set to viewable.

• Trashlord666

Trashlord666 Space Hobo

I've enabled hidden files and folders to be viewable, but I can't find the ".config" folder anywhere.

• MysticTempest

Hrm, that's really odd. Well, you could try creating it manually then.

Open up the terminal, paste this in, and then hit enter. Then try running the game, and see if it works.
          Code:
          mkdir ~/.config

• Trashlord666

Trashlord666 Space Hobo

Config file is there now, but nothing in it relates to the game, which still won't open. I'm so confused >_<

• MysticTempest

Hrm, that's a bit odd. You can try, and see if any logs show up here: ~/StardewValley/ErrorLogs

But, the '~/.config' folder is where the game is supposed to create the save & error logs. Some users report permission errors with it, but it's a bit strange that it had to be created manually in the first place on your system.

You should have permissions to the folder you manually created. But, you could also try the following in a terminal.
              Just substitute 'username' for the username you use on your Mac.
              Code:
              sudo chown username:staff ~/.config

Other then that; not too sure. It's hard to diagnose without any error logs.

• nurinayusri

nurinayusri Intergalactic Tourist

Same problem here! Tried using the sudo chown command but terminal returned with the message "command not found".

• MysticTempest

Do you have any error logs from the game?
                  Also, the "command not found" is odd; do you know if it's failing on 'sudo' or 'chown'?