1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Greckan Race Mod v1.2.5a (SB v1.3.3)

Adding A New Race Of Diplomatic Denizens To Your Universe!

1. SJLgamers

SJLgamers Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank You!

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Inf_Wolf14 updated Greckan Race Mod with a new update entry:

Update for Starbound 1.2

Read the rest of this update entry...

Jareix Cryvix, Charlatan and Relten like this.
  3. chocolate6423

chocolate6423 Void-Bound Voyager

Is it just me or does the Tier-8 ship make you fall into the endless void of space, never to return?

4. Inf_Wolf14

I'll look into it when I have a chance.

5. Inf_Wolf14

Bugfix

6. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Those Fextal are unbelievably cute. :kitten2:

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  7. Inf_Wolf14

I had a bunch of fun plans for them as a ship pet; Then CF removed the scripts for pet hunger in 1.2... :cry:

8. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Its fine, it is a fox, a free ticket for my support :nuruflirt:

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  9. Inf_Wolf14

The Final(?) Upgrade

10. Inf_Wolf14

The Steam Workshop version has been updated!

Thanks for reading!

11. linkboy84

linkboy84 Void-Bound Voyager

If you don't mind me asking, did you have any specific lore in mind, other than what you what's already written down, when you made the Greckan?

I'm a part of a Starbound Roleplay and was interested in using a Greckan Character bit wanted to get the lore correct.

12. Inf_Wolf14

Yeah, the lore is pretty much nailed down, but it's quite tedious to write and format codexes so I've been putting it off for a while.

I can answer any questions about it here in the meanwhile, however.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  13. linkboy84

How exactly are they "born"? Is it like a symbiote, an infection? And how long does it take for the process to develop and finalize?

What weapons would they use?

How old is the race and how old can a individual get?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  14. Inf_Wolf14

Ask any questions for something you need clarified:

The first Greckan were developed from a parasitic, symbiotic relationship between Erchius and an infected host organisms.
    (Essentially, a specific mutation of Erchius, similar to the events of the Erchius Mining Facility, however the results of a separate host crystal.)
    The initial generation spawned from the original hosting crystal, in hosts having had their genetic code altered through prolonged exposure to concentrated Erchius sources.
    (While racial differences from the various infected hosts are subtly visible, the mutation unified several aspects of their physiology, including appearances and general body structure.)

Later generations are spawned through cultivation of existing mineral composites, also altered from the original hosting crystal.
    Said composites grow at an exponential rate, evolved beyond natural mineral development.
    End resulting in a new Greckan born from the composite. (View the respawn animation for a visual representation of this.)

The estimated time for first generation Greckans to have completed genetic alteration varies between scholars. (The origin of the initial generation is a highly investigated subject as little was recorded at the moment of the species' conception.)
    Exact ETAs of the time required for the process of the growth of crystal composites range from 50 to, at most, nearing a century.

(Greckan lifespans can prolong into a couple hundred years; However, the period required for later generations to be born, and the amount of growing composites, offsets this extended lifespan, sometimes to a disadvantage.)

15. linkboy84

So what I'm getting is;
    The crystals infect a host through Erichus radiation and physical contact. The orginal generation of hosts had their genetic code changed to support the crystals that grow out of them. The modified crystals can then reproduce through extraction from an already mutated host(?) and the crystals grow at an accelerated pace until "hatching" and releasing a new Greckan.

Their crystals can take many, many, MANY years to develop and they have extremely long lifespans but the process of growing new Greckans offsets this extended lifespan.

Is this all accurate?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  16. Inf_Wolf14

Correct. But one slight amendment:
    (Just to clarify.)

Modified, crystalline Erchius deposits were a product left behind by the original Erchius Crystal host. (This host was something akin to the Erchius Horror.)
    Though research, the Greckan learned to reproduce said deposits to increase their population.

However, they do not have the knowledge to control the growth of these crystals, thus, there exists the diversity of Greckans currently.

17. Inf_Wolf14

I'll be getting this information into the lore and in-game soon.
    It's just been farther done on my list than many things, including events irl.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

18. linkboy84

So they make the crystals?

That's completely fine. Irl things are more important.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  19. Inf_Wolf14

Yes, current Greckans can recreate the advanced, modified crystals which were left behind by said original host crystal.

(I haven't thought about the exact process by which they formulate these crystals, though... I figured something that specific, I can put off for time being.)

20. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

Okay...So aside from being awesome....................That's it..It's just really awesome...

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.