Guide: FrackinUniverse (SB 1.0+)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Xylia, Jul 24, 2016.

1. daviman

daviman Intergalactic Tourist

Eden planets are also good for the buildings
    on ONE eden planet I found two plasteel buildings with free cloning labs, solar arrays, gene design labs, AND natural little good berry plants and bracken plants
    the only threats were small bandit camps that are easy to kill

2. Gogeta

Gogeta Void-Bound Voyager

Any chance of an updated version of this guide? A lot has changed, can still partly be followed in combination with the wiki but could do with an update.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've been kinda swamped with IRL stuff, and to be honest, I haven't even been playing SB (I'm STILL waiting for a 10-12 button hotbar mod!).

So it might be awhile until I can get out some updates sadly.

4. slowcold

slowcold Pangalactic Porcupine

Neat guide. The metal moons thing doesn't seem to work any more as far as picking up machines goes - Eden's do work though.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah sadly this guide is way outdated.

I'm waiting for sayter to get the progression revision done before I even think about attempting to redo the guide.

Then I need a playthrough or two of the new progression system before I can really make a guide on it.

6. Gogeta

I went ahead and made that hotbar button mod you were waiting for btw. You'll find it on the workshop under Bigger Action Bar(8), Bigger Action Bar(10) or Bigger Action Bar(20) depending on your preferred size, lol.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

And it actually works?

Odd, the people in the modding forum claimed that they tried to do that and it "wouldn't work", and I was sitting here thinking "then why'd the devs say it would work if it didn't?" lol.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that, though it probably requires me to start a new character once I install it, all the more reason to wait for sayter to get done shaking the whole progression system up lol.

EDIT: I took a look at it... the UI for the bars looks neat, but I wonder if that would actually fit on 1360x768 resolution.. I suppose we'll find out soon, lol. It'll be close, I hope it does!

EDIT2: Judging from my screenshots, sadly it doesn't look like the bars will fit, unless you reduced the size of the buttons. Here's a reference screenshot:

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like I could even use the 8 button bar, because that would mean putting another button pair on either side. Now, maybe a 12-button bar where there were two sets of 3 on each side would work...

I wonder if this is why CF initially didn't want to do more than 6 buttons, because of resolution issues? Hmmm.

I'll try it, but doesn't look like it will work. Blah.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. Gogeta

Ahh, that sucks, I know it resizes when you drag the window to size manually but not sure if it does the same on changing resolution but yeah, they work perfectly apart from setting hotkeys for them, only the first 6 will use hotkeys. I could whip up a 12 button bar with 2 sets of 6, that wouldn't be a problem and shouldn't take too long.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'd hate to ask even more from you, but if you would do that, I'm sure I'm hardly the only person to use low resolutions.

It's more the TV I use as a monitor... it's a nice big 27-inch, BUT I didn't know this when I bought it, but it only allows 1360x768 as the only resolution that actually fits its form factor (it allows other stuff like 800x600 and similar, but that doesn't work seeing as the ratio of the actual screen area is 16:9).

EDIT: And I did see on the other mods you posted that the hotkeys don't work. That's fine. I don't mind manual-clicking things like torches, bug net or building blocks... I just don't like swapping hotbars. So I can put torches, bug net, etc on the #7+ buttons and manual-click them, which works out just fine for me!

10. Gogeta

[​IMG]

How does that look for you? Will upload it onto the workshop shortly.

Xylia likes this.
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Looks good! That should easily fit, it doesn't use any more horizontal space than the vanilla bar does, and I'm not concerned about using some more vertical space, so that should be awesome!

Thanks!

12. Gogeta

No problem, hopefully it does fit for you now, lol. Have fun. It's up on the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=857809873

13. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the guide Xylia! it may be outdated but most of the design philosophy is there.

I'm dealing with the new stuff fairly easily, but i have three major preocuppations:

1. While I dealt with the crafting area arrangement nicely and in an aesthetical way, i really don't know what to do with the Biology/Farm/Ranch branch of craft and build. Should i just follow the standard rules, stay tall or make a huuge space? I'm living on resin from trees pls halp ;_;

2. Enviromental resistances: First deal with 1. and get then augments, Silicon and such, yes?

3. How do I progress through in parallel with the Story? Ending the campaign would lend nothing to aim to with all that Frackin' stuff or is it fine to get through it and get dem loot?

Thanks! Loving the mod so far, only complaint is that sometimes it all just is a clusterf*ck of creatures, ores, plants and music and gets mentally tiring. I'm researching a way to silence those damn background birds for my HQ

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

To answer your questions....

#1: Now that wooden growing trays are a thing, this would surely vastly cut down on the amount of space needed. Since they do not need power, and if you don't care about the aesthetics of having actual plants growing that you can directly pick and interact with, you can use these and not have to worry about wiring them up. You don't even need fertilizer; you can just dump 1000 water in them and let them go and then come back a few hours later and have hundreds of that crop sitting in the box waiting to be taken.

This means you can design plant rooms a lot smaller..... like...... MUCH smaller.

As for animals, I don't know. I usually throw in some kind of basement with a glass background and dirt/grass floor with a wooden barn if I'm on a planet that has aggressive enemies, or if I built on a Tabula Rasa, I'll just make the farm area near the lab building on the surface. Though, with all the awesome hunting weapons now available to us, I'll usually drop a flag near areas that key enemies spawn in (things that drop Scored Cores, Phase Matter, etc) so I can go farm them whenever. It's a tossup which I like more -- Fluffalos or just farming the items they drop. Farming is faster unless you have, what, 3-5 of each kind of fluffalo?

I've not explored any animals FU added yet, though.

#2: Environmental resistances? Hmmm. I don't know how the new progression works yet... usually I'd start with the usual Air backpack, then get Mutavisk Armor, then go find a Chromatic world so I can load up on crystals and carbon (the Prismatic Dirt refines into Carbon). Now, I think the X10 Power Armor was nerfed... but that used to be my next thing, because the x10 Armor gave Normal Fire/Heat/Rad Resistance. I'd then make a S10 Survival Pack, and then go after the "main three" (the ingredients to make Advanced Alloy) and then tech up and last, but certainly not least, then I'd go for Lv2 Resists, probably by trying to get War Angel (but then I assume that's probably been nerfed lol).

How to do it now? I don't know. I don't think I'd use Augments; too many backpacks laying around to have to swap out. I'd probably use specialized armors instead maybe? Depends. That, and I like me some light backpacks, so much easier than having to carry around hundreds of torches/cheap lights/whatever.

#3: Basically, what I usually end up doing is I'll stick a flag near any major racial settlement I come across and as soon as I fill the progress meter in on a race, I'll go do that race's mission and then if a new race is unlocked and I already have a flag for that, I'll go there and start on the next race's scans. If I'm not geared good enough (I'll compare my armor to what a Vanilla player should be wearing at the time), I'll wait until I am and then go do the next mission. As for the story having nothing to offer the FU player, I dunno... what about all that endgame Post-Ruin stuff that I've heard about? Is none of that any good? I've not seen anything Post-Ruin yet.

Arnust likes this.
  15. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Great!

So those Growing Trays are just "assigned" to a plant, thus needing just 1-2 of each Tray? That'd be lovely and make frams actual farms, not industrial plantations.

Animals, basically whatever is. Making a big-ass basement for them should do anyway, there can't be much FU animal husbandry if I haven't seen anything yet, in Science Outpost nor anywere. Bees are pretty last in the priority list.

Progression, Big Ape is pretty tough for what I'm geared with (only have Salves lol). Hope I can get the suff done once the plantation and such is complete to employ it in the Gene Crafter.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yes, the Trays work exactly like the Powered Ones: Stick a Seed, Water, and Fertilizer (optional) in their marked slots and let them sit for awhile. They'll continue to grow while they are left alone, and the products (seeds and the produce) will be waiting there for you.

This is better than making rows of Aeroponics Tubes, because the Tubes must be manually picked, or they just sit there mature. The Growing Tray (and the Hydroponics Tray) automatically pick the plants and pool the items up for you; all you gotta do is come back later, and add more water/fertilizer and take the resulting items out of it every once in awhile.

Fertilizer is optional; it just makes the plants grow faster.

As far as husbandry, I do remember seeing in the notes where sayter added an incubator for various FU eggs, I think Raptor being one of them. Not sure what you'd do with a farm-raised raptor, but who knows. Maybe it sheds its skin and you get free leather or something? lol. I've yet to explore it. Basically, FU's husbandry is limited to the Incubator and any eggs you happen to find in the wild. I'd try sticking any you find in the incubator and see what comes out and what it gives you when it grows up!

As for Big Ape, yeah you really want a gun for him. Standing and casting spells I don't think is a good strategy for a highly mobile boss fight, lol. Either that or clok him on the head with a broadsword or something. FU has plenty of weapons buildable from the armory. If you're doing a mage setup then you're probably wearing high energy gear which is perfect for a Frackin' rocket launcher or something akin to that. I'd sidle on over to the armory and build yourself a big gun to blast him to smithereens personally, lol.

EDIT: That is after, of course, you get several hundred Mutavisk Bandages from those Mutavisk and Bracken Trees, lol. Unless you're wearing really wimpy armor, a few hundred Mutavisk Bandaids makes you invulnerable unless he nerfed those too lol.

Arnust likes this.
  17. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Gotcha. Will have to remove rotting food via a mod becouse if not the yield is stuck becouse of sepparated stacks.

I DID find a Raptor pack and killed them (self-defense!) in a Primal world, and they drop something like Scales, Teeth (maybe generic Monster ones) and eggs. Harvesting them probably yields scales and more eggs, but I want my Jurassic Omelette ^^ (did eggs count towards Apex veganism? hope not).

T'was pretty hard but beat Big Ape (genuinely curious about the lore), Spike Ball was very good to dodge the "wall-energy fist" move. Used Molotovs for the ground attack (he slides twice), the anime upslash attack from a greatsword, the Flamethrower-Greatsword attack from the last Arena Challenge from Nuru, and basically that. Spent like 60 Salvos and 10 Medkits becouse the Old Sniper Rifle and Crossbow didn't do the trick. Geared with the Power Armor (X10?) 311% Damage was a bit better than the 150% i came the first time with lol.

Other big incognita is Wiring. Wiring ONLY moves Us of power and mechanisms, or can it conduct Liquids and items too? Without that near full automation would be impossible. Power is wasted even if it's not being used apparently so some normal Wiring hath to be employed.
    Guess that "Terminal" thing works like Minecrfat's Computers Mod, so I'll try get eventhough the FU "Lab" Containers are awesome.

Mutavisk this, Mutavisk that lol. Should have made that 20 hours ago, shouldn't I?

Mah house till this point :3 Painting Tool seems bugged and can't paint 50% the blocks so it had to be standard color for everything
    20170208203347_1.jpg

18. Gogeta

One of the latest updates added an augment removal station, so using augments is actually pretty great now, as they can be removed and reused.

19. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Oh, that Augment Extractor, right? Haven't even gotten to Gene Sequencing. Never planted a Bracken tree either lol. Added to the to-do list of tomorrow.

The single good thing of being a Spanish SB player is that it's very easy what's FU and what Vanilla as the latter is translated (via mod). Helps for those long looong crafting sessions

20. psrkallez06

psrkallez06 Void-Bound Voyager

I have to ask Xylia, what material did you use for your lab? I really like the stuff that looks like "pipes" in the background!

Great guide btw even tho it's a little outdated! it has helped me a lot :D