1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Having game controller issues!

Discussion in 'Support' started by whitesoxkitty90, Jun 13, 2017.

1. whitesoxkitty90

whitesoxkitty90 Yeah, You!

I recently bought a game controller for PC that looks like an old school Super Nintendo controller. It looks so awesome! I started up Stardew Valley and tried to use the controller, but, it didn't work. What type of game controllers are compatible with Stardew Valley? Maybe mine isn't compatible? I checked to make sure the controller works, and it does. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I think the problem is that SDV uses both of the analog sticks plus the shoulder and trigger buttons. It looks like that controller doesn't have those and the game cant match it to the button mapping. I'd recommend an Xbox One controller since Windows recognizes those if you USB connect them.

• whitesoxkitty90

whitesoxkitty90 Yeah, You!

Ok. Thanks! Guess I wasted my money on the game controller :(

• Timedye

Timedye Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you turn on the in-game "controller style menus" option, you can get away with using a SNES-style controller (I own the iBuffalo retro SNES controller for my PC) but you'll need to use Steam's custom controller mapping options to set it up, and you'll only be able to set one function to the L and R buttons (either moving back and forth through the hot bar, or swapping hot bar pages).

It's honestly not very optimal -- sort of like trying to play 20XX -- but it can be done.