1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Hmm... what?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jellyman, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Jellyman

Jellyman Phantasmal Quasar

Can someone explain me why map generator did this?
    flyingstone.png

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Can't really recall seeing many floating rocks in my time playing. Probably just a glitch or simple bad luck.

3. Midoss

Midoss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its a simple bug dude

-or something or domebody on your universe like herobrine!!!!

SM-G800H cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

These things can happen with a procedural generation. The chance it happens however is very low. You can remove the blocks with your MM if you don't like them floating around ^-^

~ Iris ~

5. Jellyman

Meanwhile i got the Evil Eye
    also im exploring infinite planet

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is a microdungeon. They are placed by using specific points to "test" and see if the envirnment is suitable for it. In this instance, it just so happened that the points lined up to give it the green light to generate. Kinda hard to illistrate.

It is kind of like trying to line up a puzzle piece to see if it fits in a hole, but rather than using the edges of the piece to see if it fits, imagine it only used a few points around it. As long as those points say it is good, it doesnt take into account any potential overlapping thay might occure. The microdungeon will just overwrite all the blocks with its own. And in this case, the part that got overwritten had a few blocks outside of that area, thus you get the floating blocks.

Hope this made some level of sense. Transcribing my thoughts to words is hard for me.

Tamorr likes this.
  7. Jellyman

I kinda know what you are saying :)
    And thanks for writing it.

8. NuclearSlayer52

NuclearSlayer52 Phantasmal Quasar

i am wondering now is... what are the coords?

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Illustration time!

Lets say you have a microdungeon. For this example, lets pretend it is nothing but air.

So the game world looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/nhPgdCr.png

Then the game needs to place the dungeon, so it begins testing based on whatever testing points it has. So lets say this is where if found to be a valid place to put said microdungeon: http://i.imgur.com/z3D465W.png

The game will then overwrite the existing blocks with those of the microdungeon (Including and blank space, because those are technically blocks too), leaving you with something that looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/yv4QyEf.png

Bam, floating island.

They could put more testing points to make sure this never happens, but then the requirements for a valid location become harder to meet which puts more load on the game to find locations, if at all possible.

Procedural generation is a fascinating challenge to work with.