How does Luau work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jerev, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

So the potluck of the Luau has no heat surce under it, the healthy colour of light greenish brown and your ingredient completely determines the taste. So is it just cold coloured water and everyone hopes that you bring the good stuff? That would explain why every villager likes you more, if you did bring something good. Also how did the citizens of Pelican Town get such a reputation with the governor when you weren't around?

[​IMG]

Borodin, Seismothesaurus and Marco93 like this.
    • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Well, since we can't see, what's under the giant pot, we don't know. They could have dug a hole under the pot and made a small fire there with a bit space for the air to cycle.

The colour is not that far away from a potluck. If you use a lot of different coloured ingredients it quickly gets grey / brown.
      While some ingredients do have a huge impact, such as poisonous mushrooms or some kinds of fish, others don't have that strong taste to determine if it tastes that good or not.
      But hey, CA might wanted to give us a feeling of moving something. At least moving stomaches.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I figure it's not meant to resemble anything logical. If it did, then what everybody put in would matter. Instead, it all hinges on you. In effect, it's a small test to see how you understand relative pricing.

Heh. I suspect they just stood around and looked at one another, until finally Emily mentioned bad vibes, and suggested they all go home and try again the following year.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm still upset about a gold star pepper being disliked. I have no use for you, governor.

sunlite likes this.
          • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

The governor is quite rude, I must say. If the soup isn't the greatest thing you ever tasted you don't need to say "Eh it's average nothing special." I would be kinder!

Seismothesaurus likes this.
            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Too bad there's no option in the code for individual town NPC reactions to take effect. So a gold star pepper--in fact, any pepper at all--should at least thrill Shane.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
              • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I've always wondered what the heck Linus is roasting over to the side. It looks like a giant yam. (Which wouldn't surprise me, since it's one of his favorite things.)

Also, who broke the plank bridge to the tidal pool!? No matter how early you fix that thing, it's always still broken come the Luau!

Marco93 likes this.
                • AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe he's not a huge fan of spicy foods.

• AureusWolf

What the heck? DOES HARVEY HAVE A BEARD?!?!?!?!?!

• Marco93

Marco93 Star Wrangler

I'm pretty sure there's a mod for that.

• AureusWolf

If I was going to go through the trouble of making a mod for just Harvey to have a beard I'd give everyone a beard that fits them. Imagine what Evelyn and Jas would look like.

Borodin and Marco93 like this.
                        • Marco93

Marco93 Star Wrangler

They'd look awesome! :rofl:
                          But I want to see Krobus with a beard!

• Seismothesaurus

And "It's actually quite disgusting," lol. I understand with the pufferfish that he's being poisoned, but if you just don't like it, have some courtesy!

It would be very cool if we could have that instead of the luau ending right after everyone eats. That would give more of a reason to repeat that festival year after year.

That's fair enough but it does raise the question of just how spicy a single pepper is capable of making that gigantic pot of stuff, lol.

Borodin likes this.
                            • Jerev

I have two beard mods installed. One gives Harvey a beard and the other upgrades Clint's goatee into a full beard. The last one can only be seen in the portrait.

That's what I asked at the beginning: how can your single ingredient determine the taste of the whole pot? From a gameplay perspective it makes sense, but just try to imagine that in real life :DD

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
                              • Seismothesaurus

That single grape (grape in a soup? :x) made all the difference.

Borodin likes this.
                                • Jerev

One other thing. The burger, which you get for free on the Stardew Valley Fair, seems to be the survival burger. It gives the right buff.
                                  But the ingredients for a survival burger are: bread, cave carrot and eggplant. So what is Gus grilling there?

SV fair.jpg

Looks like some kind of product (meat) which can't be produced by the farmer.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

It definitely is, in fact if you talk to Evelyn over there she complains that there's no vegetarian option. My guess is that it's probably a holdover from when CA was still working on adding butchering and animals into the game, and he either forgot to do some last minute touch-ups or just decided he didn't care about leaving it.

I'm sure it's made from the party clown they hired for last year's fair.

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think, it is a leftover. Alex eats steak at his 10 heart event and it is also mentioned that he gives meat to Dusty.

To me it seems a bit strange to put in meat but no butchery because it is too cruel. I mean, you need to kill an animal to get meat. And it is nothing different than killing a fish or a plant to eat. They found out that plants can even have fear and feel pain.
                                      Every living thing needs to be respected and treated in the best possible way and should not be killed just to land in a trash can. We need to appreciate food and the life which was given for it.

But I don't think the clown would be a good idea - I mean, you could become a Wendigo and that's not exactly the most relaxing thought.

Marco93 likes this.
                                      • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Erm, not to derail the thread but there's no evidence that supports that plants feel anything (in the sense of having an immediate situational awareness) or have cognitive awareness. Not that they're inanimate objects! They certainly have a remarkable ability to react to their surroundings and 'reply' with chemical signals and other adaptations, and they communicate their chemical signals to others of their kind, and even manipulate animal populations as well (flowers in particular are amazingly good at pushing insects into doing what the plant wants). But to extend that to anthropomorphism would be premature.

But appreciating where your food comes from is always very important!

(I'll preempt any looming debate about re-adding butchering, producing meat on your farm, etc, before it starts. Please, that's already been debated on /many/ other threads ere now. Let's not open that can of worms yet again?)

Marco93, sunlite and Seismothesaurus like this.
                                        • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

CA I believe was a vegetarian himself, so maybe he has some sort of problem with it. It looks like he was going to add butchering in the Cursors file with a hog texture, but maybe he scrapped it when he realized it didn't exactly fit in the game.

What if the 'burger' was intended to be made with some sort of meat prior to him scrapping butchering? Obviously there is no butchering in the game anymore, so he replaced it with plant-based foods? I mean, I feel it'd make more sense to call it a veggie burger.