How to update a direct download of Starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by gaius3141, Jul 26, 2016.

1. gaius3141

gaius3141 Space Hobo

I purchased Starbound a little over a week ago on prerealease and have been enjoying the Beta and was expecting it to update to 1.0 when that came out on Friday, but it didn't happen on its own and I don't see how to make that happen. Everything I find talks about Steam; I don't have steam and got the game through a direct download via Humble Bundle. So how do I get it to update to 1.0?
    Thanks!

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

If humble bundle does not offer a separate patch download - you will have to download the full file again.
    Humble will automatically update their links in its library when a new version comes out.

Unfortunately each distributor has its own patching protocol.
    Advantage of Steam is they have an automatic patching utility.

GoG has GoG galaxy which does something similar.
    Humble currently does not.

3. gaius3141

gaius3141 Space Hobo

Thanks. I downloaded the full game again. The folders are different (duh i know) but very different. The folders are _MACOSX _CommonREdist assets doc giraffe_storage koala_storage mods storage and tiled. Previously i had had folders caled win32 and win64 that contained executables, but now I can't find an executable file anywhere. the macosx folder had me worried so i double checked to make sure i selected the windows version and not mac by mistake (i didnt) and also it downloaded as starbound_1.0_windows. So... how to i start the game? was it corrupted? was i supposed to download into the same file folder and overwrite the existing files?
    --- Post updated ---
    i downloaded again through steam and now it is working. thanks

4. NovaJ

NovaJ Sandwich Man

Thx everyone i was getting worried my starbound would never update