1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hull Plating Blocks & More 35.0 (Concrete Tileset)

Blocks that resemble parts from ship backgrounds, plus some other odds and ends.

1. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

simulatoralive submitted a new mod:

Hull Plating Blocks - Blocks that resemble parts from ship backgrounds.

Read more about this mod...

2. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi all, from the screenshot it looks great. Have a request tho could we get the a set of blocks without the rivet as well. Ty in advance.

3. simulatoralive

The art side of that is not hard. It's the rest of it that's time consuming.

I have to fiddle with three text files for each tile I add. One to describe how the tile works, visually. One to describe the inventory item and one for the recipe. Then I have to add the recipe to the Portable 3D Printer. It's not exactly trivial.

I'll be adding other hull plating that I've already finished the art on first. Plus, I want to finish the dry wall tile, too. That's one I'm particularly looking foreword to working on some more.

I do like this idea. So, I'll add this to my future plans.

Thank you for the suggestion.

If you want to help and have the know-how, I'd be happy to add your work along side mine. I've included source files in the mod for the art, in the form of GIMP image files.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. simulatoralive

simulatoralive updated Hull Plating Blocks with a new update entry:

Ore-Derived Hull Plating

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. Blastaway

Blastaway Cosmic Narwhal

So a person can actually make a gold-plated building?
    I'm sold :D

6. simulatoralive

Hey, we all like to show off our wealth somehow. Besides, if we can't use the ore for something constructive, we may as well make our friends/neighbors/enemies green with envy.

7. simulatoralive

I've got some weird ideas I'd like to throw out there for anyone paying attention. I'm looking to do some brainstorming for more ideas than these.

If you've read the main page in detail, you'll know about the drywall blocks I'm working on. I just need to find a way to make these look messier. I'm not the best artist. I'm mostly Mr. Cut and Paste. Hehe.

I've also got what I'm calling Ship Trim art mostly done. This will be another racial block type that's supposed to be laid over the top of hull plating to create a look similar to the effect seen around the living spaces of ships. There's just some re-arranging of bits and pieces in the art itself to be done, which will allow for painting.

I've been looking at the crafting items Starbound has available, such as fabric and leather. I was thinking both Leather Covered Hull and Canvas Covered Hull for those. Basically, a series of types of covered hull plating, with various in-game materials over the top of Steel Hull Plating. I may also introduce Diamond Coated Steel Plating.

Does anyone have any ideas of this nature to add?

8. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

Edit: Man, I missed the part in the Overview section telling us to craft a second Pixel Printer to unlock the stuff!
    Never mind, I got this figured out!

Hey!
    Checking in because I might be a little dumbfounded as to where I might find the racial plating options in a crafting menu.
    I installed the latest version and the material platings are showing up just fine at a robotic crafting table, yet the other stuff remains elusive.
    Portable Pixel Printer is already unlocked, so here's me trying to figure out where I went wrong.
    Where and from what crafting menu do I get the racial plating?
    Thanks in advance!

9. simulatoralive

Drywall, woo!

10. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

Something like that
    [​IMG][​IMG]

carbon kind and xagons type

11. simulatoralive

There's only one problem with the edit you've made. It's on a really zoomed in version of the blocks and your edits are smaller than the individual pixels in the source textures. Each pixel is the size of the upper right quarter of each rivet.

However, it does look good.

Are you saying you want some kind of carbon-fiber plating? That does sound interesting...

Pohany likes this.
  12. Pohany

I know :rofl:

I made a new sample
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. simulatoralive

I like it. Seems too bright for carbon fiber, though. Every picture of it I've seen was black, but on the other hand, there's always paint. It also seems it can be made in many colors. So white is a good base to start from.

Do you want to post the modified file? So I can include it? I probably won't have time to work on that until tonight, however.

I gotta figure out a recipe, too. Will have to do some research. It's got to be at least slightly realistic.

Also, cool base. I may have to look into making shipping container plating.

14. Pohany

15. simulatoralive

Pohany likes this.
  16. Pohany

17. simulatoralive

Carbon Fiber Hull Plating

18. simulatoralive

Brass Pipe (As Seen on Novakid Ships)

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1435888080][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm thinking of making many of the blocks in this mod be learned a new way. Basically, I'm thinking that Infinity Express will sell the racial ship blocks for 25 pixels (as repair parts) and holding one of them will teach your character the recipe. So, having seen it done, you'll know how to make more.

This will also remove the issue of having to craft a new Portable Pixel Printer for existing characters that have already used one.

I'll probably leave the ore-derived blocks as they are, because it makes sense to me and I'm not likely to add many more (I've read that too many initial blueprints can cause crashes). However, I'm going to be adding quite a few new blocks that are derived from racial ships and who wants to make a Portable Pixel Printer after each (likely small) update?

What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    M4ck likes this.
  19. simulatoralive

For the benefit of Zoomah, here's a little explanation of how and why the borders of Hull Plating Blocks differ by one pixel, as compared to other blocks:

Hull Plating Blocks (Borders Explained).jpg

You'll notice in the image above that The Wall Panel and Lunar Base Blocks reach further down. This is because the blocks have a border that goes one pixel further from the block itself when they're not adjacent to another block. You'll also notice that when they're adjacent, that border vanishes, as you'll see on the left side of the Lunar Base Blocks, bordering on the Drywall, leading to some (in my opinion) odd behavior from time to time.

Each block in Starbound is an 8x8 square, with border space around that. You can see this very clearly with Erchius Crystals, as they have one of the biggest borders around.

I didn't want the borders to vanish unpredictably, as I consider them a very important part of Hull Plating, so the border is on the inside of the block, rather than the outside.

If people consider this important, I could incorporate a 1 pixel drop shadow of some kind around the edges (an extra shadow border around the existing border). It would be about as simple as adding a new layer to my GIMP source files and then exporting the images all over again from scratch. Though I'll have do some experimentation to be sure.

As some may have guessed (or discovered poking around in the files themselves), Hull Plating is actually built on the pipe template, much like Heavy Pipe and Sewer Pipe. That's the reason for the odd little end caps that appear when you do a 1 block wide strip. I've not studied in detail the effect of giving a pipe a normal border. I don't actually know what would happen.

So, the short version: it's intended behavior with some slightly unintended consequences I hadn't truly considered until recently.

Do you folks want me to spend some time sorting this out or are things fine as they are now?

20. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

So, the best solution to keep your borders inside and working around the problems might be a customized pipe template then... hrmmm... thats not the "bug" i meant, though. It is more that the patterns on the lower corners on the right side of the texture are "mirrored" the spots that should be dark are bright and vice versa. And thats only on the carbon texture. Copying the lower "corners" fromm the right side over helped me there.