1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hull Plating Blocks & More 35.0 (Concrete Tileset)

Blocks that resemble parts from ship backgrounds, plus some other odds and ends.

1. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

The blocks and rocket parts are all I'm after as well....

I didn't really use much else from the mod

2. qualiyah

qualiyah Phantasmal Quasar

I also really hope someone will make this mod work again, since simulatoralive has been kind enough to allow others permission to update it. These blocks look gorgeous and so much better for certain building purposes than anything in the vanilla game.

3. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

I have started the long and tedious process of attempting to update this mod. However I am aware this pack has Lua in is, which I have Zero knowledge of.. Does anyone know if the current version of starbound has any arguments that would otherwise cripple/break the lua script that is already set?...

I can see why the creator stepped away from the project, the sheer amount of files in this in absurd. :rofl:

4. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

If the Lua script for the material modifier tools no longer works, try talking with Zoomah: the script is a modification from an old version of the DecoTools mod, from back when it was still the Staff of Regrowth. The newer version of the script, for multi-tools, is only partially done and totally untested.

As for the large number of files...yeah, true, but not why I stepped away at all. I'm an obsessive bugger, so I don't mind climbing through lots of files if the end result is fun to play with. I stepped away largely due to people harassing me, demanding a crafting station for the mod's blocks. And this was after I'd said no...

Amusingly enough, the hundreds of files is a big chunk of the reason I'm doing things totally different for my own game. Starbound wastes a significant amount of time during loading parsing lots and lots of small files and uses an extra file for everything...is kind of annoying. Why in the heck does it take at least three JSON files to make a single craftable, placeable block? (1 block description, 1 item description, 1 or more crafting recipe files). What were they thinking? It should have been 1 file, with perhaps some optional extra files for unusual cases.

Oh well, all one can do is learn from the design and build something better. Now, if I could just stay well long enough to actually be able to concentrate and program... I hate being sick. It's been a crummy couple of months, but hopefully me feeling better the past two days will last.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I only found items/tools/trim/activetrimtool.lua
    Not much stood out as things I can see that won't work. Except for how to load JSON attributes. I believe the activeitem system is a bit different, but I "think" everything there works still. I should probably test this first, but for now I'll give you this to copy/paste. That's me changing everything that stood out.

Code:
    require "/scripts/vec2.lua"
    require "/scripts/util.lua"

-- Read some variables from the item file and set an initial stance
    function init()
        self.seed = config.getParameter("seed", "hullrivetsmall")
        self.rangeLimit = config.getParameter("rangeLimit", 15)
        self.sfx = config.getParameter("toolSound", "drill")
        self.stances = config.getParameter("stances")
        self.fireOffset = config.getParameter("fireOffset", {0,0})
        setStance("idle")
    end

function update(dt, fireMode, shiftHeld)
        -- Get block position pointed at
        local pos = activeItem.ownerAimPosition()

-- Place the mod if possible, playing a sound as we do so
        if fireMode == "primary" then
            fire(true, pos)
        elseif fireMode == "alt" then
            fire(false, pos)
        end

-- Point the tool in the player's hands at the target point
        updateAim(self.stance.allowRotate, self.stance.allowFlip)
    end

-- Place the mod if possible, playing a sound as we do so
    function fire(isForeground, position)
        if canPlaceMod(isForeground, position) then
            -- Calculate range and determine if we're close enough
            local playerPosition = mcontroller.position()
            local inRange = (vecDist(playerPosition, position) <= self.rangeLimit)
            -- Place the mod only if we're close enough
            if (inRange) then
                if isForeground then
                    world.placeMod(position,"foreground",self.seed,0,false)
                else
                    world.placeMod(position,"background",self.seed,0,false)
                end
                animator.playSound(self.sfx)

--FIX ME: Item consumption code would go here
                -- First I have to eliminate more bad targets
            end
        end
    end

-- Thanks for this one Zoomah
    -- Calculates the distance from point a to point b (both should be vectors)
    function vecDist(a, b)
       return math.sqrt((a[1] - b[1])^2 + (a[2] - b[2])^2)
    end

-- Returns true if we can place a material modifier on the the specified block
    --  Still needs some work to remove some invalid targets; will probably have to use a black-list
    --   for falling blocks
    function canPlaceMod(isForeground, position)
        --FIX ME: Add a check for tumbling blocks and platforms
        if isForeground then
            if not world.material(position,"foreground") then
                return false
            else
                return not world.mod(position,"foreground")
            end
        else
            if not world.material(position,"background") then
                return false
            else
                return not world.mod(position,"background")
            end
        end
    end

-- Returns true if the specified block has a material modifier on it
    function hasMod(isForeground, position)
        if isForeground then
            return world.mod(position,"foreground") ~= nil
        else
            return world.mod(position,"background") ~= nil
        end
    end

---------------------------------------------------
    -- Copied from /items/active/grapple/grapple.lua --
    -- Modified very slightly                        --
    ---------------------------------------------------
    function setStance(stanceName)
      self.stanceName = stanceName
      self.stance = self.stances[stanceName]
      self.stanceTimer = self.stance.duration or 0
      animator.setAnimationState("weapon", stanceName == "active" and "empty" or "tool")
      animator.rotateGroup("weapon", util.toRadians(self.stance.weaponRotation))
      updateAim(self.stance.allowRotate, self.stance.allowFlip)
    end

-- Point the tool in the player's hands at the target point
    function updateAim(allowRotate, allowFlip)
      local aimAngle, aimDirection = table.unpack(activeItem.aimAngleAndDirection(self.fireOffset[2], activeItem.ownerAimPosition()))

if allowRotate then
        self.aimAngle = aimAngle
      end
      aimAngle = (self.aimAngle or 0) + util.toRadians(self.stance.armRotation)
      activeItem.setArmAngle(aimAngle)

if allowFlip then
        self.aimDirection = aimDirection
      end
      activeItem.setFacingDirection((self.aimDirection or 0))
    end
    I agree they have too many files per tile. But I wouldn't put the recipes in the same file as the tile/object/item itself. Because then you'd need to load all of them to extract all the recipes when needed. And that's probably why they separated the recipes off, but they still didn't do this in an ideal fashion IMO.

Where it my game, I'd have "recipe pools" that would generally mean one recipe file per production station type rather than per item. I'd just have people patch the recipe file to add their stuff. Stations could use multiple pools, such that an oven would use the recipes from a cooking fire, plus a pool the cooking fire does not utilize.

And this means you don't need to read all the tile/item/object files until you need them. You can read the recipe file all by itself. From the modder's perspective, you would ideally build your own recipe pool, and patch the pool itself into the vanilla station's pool(unless you have your own station) - rather than patching each thing individually. So I suppose that's similar to how Starbound's .treasure files work. It makes far more sense than the way recipes are handled now.

That makes for less work anyhow. Patching your pool in becomes a one time thing. From then on you just edit your pool to add/change things. And consider the engine work from -

load all item/materials/objects, for each thing read which stations this gets added to, add that item to that particular station's recipe table
    vs
    load the station's pool, read which items belong to it, reference only the items/materials/objects needed.

And that does provide the optional possibility of an upgraded station utilizing a different recipe to yield the same output... as though the new station is more efficient etc.

And as you say, there should be no .matitem files etc. That should be rolled into the .material file. Objects don't have seperate .item files. and it doesn't make sense that they would.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Fizzbutt

Fizzbutt Astral Cartographer

http://pastebin.com/p8PFVzmq - Starbound Log

I've discovered crashing when trying to open the wall lockers added in by this mod with the most recent starbound patch. Took me forever to remember where those lockers came from but I finally found it. I know that other people are working on this mod off and on, and hopefully at some point will be able to look at it?

I was able to successfully create the crash every time with storage lockers (I didn't test them all but I'm assuming they're all going to act the same) I can create them, and place them just fine, it's when I attempt to open them I get the [02:43:25.518] [Error] Exception caught in client main-loop
    (AssetException) Error loading asset /interface/chests/chest%slots%.config
    error.

I'm not removing the mod because it seems to mostly work (this is the first problem I've had since coming back to play), but maybe this'll help someone else who is having the same error as I am? If it's conflicting somewhere with another mod causing this error then I'd love to know so I can work on that. I really love this mod and would rather not have to remove it.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'll tell you EXACTLY how to fix that. %slots% was replaced with <slots>
    And you're thinking... I don't want to replace that in every object! You don't have to.

Download notepad++
    open something in notepad++ - it honestly doesn't matter what.
    hit <CTRL> + <F> to bring up the search window
    Click up top on the tab that says find in files
    Change the directory to where this mod is.
    Find what put in %slots%
    Replace with
    put in <slots>
    Make sure you have not added any spaces before or after either term You want those exact strings.
    Click Replace in Files and OK when the warning pops up.

All in all that replace 204 occurrences! That's certainly faster than attempting to fix each file one by one, now isn't it? I do love my notepad++

--edit--

Possibly someone is thinking "Why doesn't that guy just take over the mod if he knows how to fix everything anyhow?"

And the reason is this - I can get the mod working again, sure. But I lack the natural artistic ability to expand the mod further. Under my care, the mod would absolutely be stagnant. I'd really prefer the mod be taken over by someone who has the ability, motivation, and mostly of all time to take it further.

Now I don't mind helping out with the fixes or fixing/expanding the coding. But I really lack the artistic ability and free time necessary to push it further.

I may fix things, throw the fixed version up on dropbox, then link here. Perhaps someone would then take it from there?

I really can't be taking over more mods anyhow. I'm slacking too much on what I have. But I'm proud of myself... I updated 2 mods yesterday. Technically one of those updates involved an update to the Automatic Doors code too(so 2.5 mods)... I should commit that to the github. All about motivation, time, and focus. And focus is the hardest for an ADD modder like me.

--edit 2 - the sequel strikes back--

I looked at the whole log you posted, and noticed that by chance you have other errors which are ... ironically related to one of MY mods. My blocks and objects. It is objects already being defined and such. The Tabula Rasa error is likewise because my integration is defined twice. I don't have that issue because I don't have duplicates. And I rechecked the latest released zip to be absolutely sure I didn't mess this up.

So I think you where dragging the folder at one point, and accidentally dropped it into another mod's folder when you intended to drop it into the /mods/ folder itself. You might want to check that. Once you find where the duplicate destination is, deleting and re-installing that mod(the accidental destination) is the easiest fix. Otherwise you'd have to go through picking my mod out of their mod file by file. Even I wouldn't want to do that, and I know what files are mine.

Yes this is very funny to be providing support for one of my mods in another mod's discussion page. Quite unexpected LOL.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Fizzbutt likes this.
  8. Fizzbutt

You, my friend are damn awesome. I already use N++ for a ton of stuff, have for years really, (Mainly because it keeps things so neat and pretty and I can see better) But I had no friggin' clue it could do that! I knew what was causing the issue and I had found one reference while googlefu'ing; to those changes but didn't know where to safely change that to make it not broken. You rock. :3 That's one new problem down with the updates.

I tend to try and fix things myself before asking for help, I really dislike not knowing how to do something, or a simple issue evading me. I've been tracking down which mods are doing what for the last 5 hours. Sleep? What's that?

Edit***
    You actually helped me figure out another error on a different mod in this fashion, That solved(It was with the bug.lua changes), I'm still getting the error of monsters now need applied weather effects; which seems to be all that's preventing me from warping down. I was about ready to pull my hair out over that other thing but you need to seriously pat yourself on the back because you saved my hair!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    bk3k likes this.
  9. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You don't know my weekend LOL. I slept for maybe 1 or 1.5 hours last night. Worked. Stayed up all tonight(5:22AM where I am) and don't intend to sleep lest I might over-sleep for work. And my shift is 13 hours long. After I get off at 9PM, I won't be ready for bed because I'm actually that nocturnal. I'll finally get sleep around 6 or 8AM Monday.

If you found a problem with another mod, you might want to share that with that mod author. And perhaps encourage them to patch instead of replace if that is what they're doing.

Also note my last edit to my previous post. I was trying to avoid double triple posting. You have errors related to one of my mods.

10. Fizzbutt

Oh yeah, I noticed that one of your mods had errors, that's good to know I'll hunt down where I messed that up. And the other mod has already been notified, though there hasn't been any response to it. I found where the weathereffects notation should be sitting and am working on adding those in. Soooo many files!

I have insomnia, and it rears its ugly head often. So I totally know what you're dealing with in the zombie department.

11. GoldenstarArtist

GoldenstarArtist Cosmic Narwhal

Wait so the lua is broken? oh dear... I havn't had much time to work on it lately so I suppose I could pause for now.

12. Fizzbutt

The fix Bk3k guided me through worked and allowed the containers to function again, so I don't think it's all that broken. it was just some change the recent updates did. I had more game breaking changes to work through in a different mod that I fixed up. :3

13. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4guaw5b4wx7x6m/Hull Plating Blocks v35.0.zip?dl=0
    This is with my fixes applied(LUA and containers) and also PNGGaunlet optimized.

Now I'd probably have tested this first, but I'm getting crash on launch errors from some JSON error and it isn't telling me what(not this mod I'll tell you)... and I'm too tired to care enough to figure it out til tomorrow.

But let me know if you see other issues.

14. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

See I wasn't going to do it, but I did. I updated the mod. At least to the level that there are no more startup errors in the log. Well I made quite a few of those errors because I redid the nameSpace of everything so there "should" be no mod conflicts. And there was a lot of EVERYTHING to rename.

But what I have to do still is testing... a lot of testing because there are lots of things.

I necessarily had to include some old(removed) assets too. And I figured while doing that, I included old(removed) vanilla furniture(that used the old assets as materials) too because... why not?

I have to decide if I want some of these things (like rubium) added back into biomes to dig up, or should I just let a vendor sell them? Things are unattainable without. Adding to biomes seems a bit out of scope but justified in this case.

So the mod is somewhat close to ready, but not (re)release ready yet. Or so I assume. I preemptively expect to find problems anyhow. Maybe I'll be surprised, but then I'm out of time til Monday at earliest.

SivCorp likes this.
  15. simulatoralive

As for missing ingredients, I would suggest looking at how the recipes are organized in the More Tiles and Greebles mod. It also had old tiles based on the removed ores and I always have liked that mod, so it would feel right to do things the same way, but it's just a suggestion.

As for testing...hmm. Maybe I need to play some Starbound and actually play with the things I built. So count me in as a tester. ;-)

I could at least rebuild my testing lab. You know the one all the screenshots came from... I miss my testing lab.

SivCorp and bk3k like this.
  16. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I was going to use Dropbox to upload for testing, but Dropbox seems to hate me. The website's buttons don't seem to respond. So I downloaded the client... doesn't do anything(never get to log in). So I did this.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/testers-wanted.129953/#post-3107914

As for the ore that doesn't exist anymore... yeah I think that adding it to the ore merchant in the outpost is the way to go. So I'll look into that. Messing with biomes is something I can do but it really is too far out of scope.

17. simulatoralive

Sweet. I'll get right on testing that tomorrow night. I've been saving resources up for it all week.

18. thakyZ

thakyZ Cosmic Narwhal

To, @bk3k and @simulatoralive, I have fully tested bk3k's port and it works completely. If you don't mind I will port it to Steam Workshop. And with simulatoralive's permission and bk3k's permission since it is his build, if I could upload it to the Starbound Mod Repository. Also, I would like that permission for the Steam Workshop at that too... Since I should get permission for there too.

In other words, I would like to take over this mod. It shouldn't be too much work. But I will allow you to take it back whenever you want simulatoralive. :nuruhappy:

19. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I would think bk3k would be the one to load it to Steam sense he did most of the work... but if he doesn't want to, then it is an open mod.

I've also got things adding into it... along with a conversion going with Madtulips spaceship mod.

20. simulatoralive

To my knowledge, bk3k is actually still working on it. The engines were not entirely functional and there were still some screwed up recipes. So, it's not actually ready yet. Beyond that, I know he's got plans to expand on the mod once he's got that done.

You could always collaborate with him on it if you want to. I did a bit of work to get things I wanted to use working.

If you want to discuss the reworked version of the mod, the Testers Wanted thread he started is a better place for that.