I have huge respect for the developers, but i have to agree with this review

Discussion in 'W:R General Discussion' started by Filipfonky, Feb 26, 2013.

1. TrinityMoon

TrinityMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

thanks man for the help

• Farkon

Farkon Aquatic Astronaut

I think something that can help wanderlust is to give some basic gear for new characters since It would help with bad loot drops early on as well as make the player feel at least more able for the arena.

• FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

There are grey items you can buy dirt cheap at Gregin's shop

• Farkon

Farkon Aquatic Astronaut

Right, but you still have to fight in the arena to get the dirt for that equipment first, unless that was changed.

• FreshSheet

I hate to be rude but if someone can't beat the arena.... o_O

• Farkon

Farkon Aquatic Astronaut

It's not that I couldn't beat the arena, it just felt like it took too long while hitting the same button over and over. If that were of things to come, I really didn't feel like playing it without friends or something.
              When the game was only finished with some chapters while in beta, you gained more points towards skills and such, making it feel more alive and interesting.... Those extra points helped break the mindless button mashing early on. All I'm saying is that gear in the beginning would help with this as well, that or decrease the life of enemies early on since the enemy's stats doesn't change with one or two people in the game.

• Seiga

Seiga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have to admit I didn't enjoy the game too much myself, but after reading the developer posts I at least know Yeti Trunk is run by Pretty Cool People. I think I'll give WR another go at some point!

Suika Ibuki and Leth like this.
                • Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with the review,i tried to play it once,and the single player gameplay is mediocre as he says,
                  without counting that is boring.

Snowfalcon likes this.
                  • Snowfalcon

Snowfalcon Big Damn Hero

Could this then be classed as a biased review? As there is more than 44 unique enemies in GW2, unless of course you say that all humanoids are the same(which if it is the case than SB has 1 character race, as they are all humanoid) ,all insects are the same.

• Durg

Durg Orbital Explorer

Yeah GW2 probably has 1000+ unique enimeis the world is massive. Every 5 levels has like 15 diffrent enemies for every race. Then massive max level zones. And all dem bosses.

• d2king10

d2king10 Guest

By unique I mean enemies that fight differently than the last. Re-skinning an enemy and having the same ability as the last is still the same "enemy". Just because it looks different doesn't mean it is unique. You cannot fight the enemies the same between chapters in WR, each chapter requires different strategies, especially on epic mode. I liked GW2, but just because they had a bunch of "different" looking enemies, they all fought exactly the same way just with more hp and damage.

Annoctatio and ziberoo like this.
                        • Snowfalcon

Snowfalcon Big Damn Hero

Just to reiterate GW2 has 44 Unique Pets available for the ranger class , a lot of the Mob types do not have tameable versions, so I guess the total count for enemies is way above 44, (just looked at Bestiary 55 unique not including subtypes, eg 12 Unique Ooze's, 18 total inc champion/veteran types, or 6 Unique Krait types, 9 if including Champoin/veteran types)

• polmard

polmard Master Chief

Hmm, Should I try the game or is it like in review?
                            I've heard many things about this game but never got and actual opinion,it always seemed that the articles are biased, now... I believe starbound forum won't give me a biased answer?eh? eh??

• LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

I don't have many friends so I played alone until the boss.
                              ...and proceeded to get stomped by it in less than a minute multiple times.

Then I switched from Elementalist to Alchemist, got to the last boss and did a LOT better overall.
                              Now I don't even remember if I beat it or gave up!

I had no idea that this game has PvP or such, and I pretty much quit after I got to the boss on Normal.
                              I tried the mode where you just try to survive waves of enemies (alone as usual) and while fun I felt that I have games I enjoy more.

Wanderlust is certainly not a bad game, but for someone like me who mostly plays games alone I just feel like it doesn't have much to offer to me.
                              Maybe I'll get back into it one day with a few friends and feel different about it.

• Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

That's fair. You'd have to enjoy being punished if you love the game solo. =P

We originally designed the game to be, pretty much, just Epic Mode; it practically required co-op. Over time we've been trying to balance and add more modes/features to accommodate 'solo players', but it's been challenging to do so since the game was basically built around co-op play.

In regards to 'the subtlety' of Wanderlust's designs, this was intentional. We wanted the game to be familiar at first, and let players discover the intricacies of the game that set it apart from other RPGs as they played more in-depth. I'm not sure this was the best decision, in hindsight; it led to some people to thinking we 'tricked' them into believing Rebirth was a Zelda-Adventure-RPG when it's actually more of a Castle Crashers/Guardian Heroes beat-em-up. I can assure you this was never our intention.

We intended to make a challenging, co-op-centric, skill-based RPG game. I think we did alright, there.

LastDay likes this.
                                • FreshSheet

I do it solo anyways ^(;-;)^

• Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

My first impressions of Wanderlust: Rebirth... well, aren't very flattering. On the bright side, the game controls smoothly (I'm used to a keyboard and mouse, so honestly the Elementalist feels perfectly natural to me to aim with the mouse, and I appreciate the sensitivity it gives me when placing his shots). I like how accessible everything is, from your inventory to your spells as the Elementalist. It kinda reminds me of PSO in a lot of ways, which is a good thing. On the downside, the gameplay isn't inspiring.

I keep hearing about "skill based gameplay" but I don't see it. The enemies early on (and since I'm playing the demo, that's all I can see) don't require any tactics. There's nothing to say there's any deeper skill besides "intercept charging enemy with ice wave, pound with boulders while frozen." Switching spells on the Elementalist is neat-looking, but cumbersome. Of course, I can't seem to get into a game with anyone - they're either playing stuff that I can't access as I'm on the demo, or they're playing private games. NPC allies are dumb as bricks - on any boss more challenging than the Grizzly in the Arena, they get completely and utterly flattened about thirty seconds in, leaving me with a boss capable of one-shotting me from full health charging at me at speeds faster than my movement rate and that doesn't reliably freeze.

Getting "perfect scores" on stages is a guessing game. There's no explanation of what the symbols for scoring mean anywhere within the game itself. It'd be nice if I could mouse over them on the results screen to get a tooltip explaining what the heck I'm looking at, and maybe a tip on how to improve my score in that area.

I despise this game's tutorial, and for one reason. I hate being insulted by a game when it's offering to teach me something, and being thrown into unwinnable fights? That's insulting. Yeah, okay, I get it. I'm a newbie to the game, but when the game itself shows contempt for me, I'm not inspired to keep playing it. It's stuff like that that made me quit playing Mabinogi, and made me quit playing Elona, and it almost made me want to quit Wanderlust within minutes of starting the game.

I will admit that I haven't seen much of the game. I can't even play the game's vaunted "Epic Mode" because that's locked off. If your demo was meant to entice me to buy the game, it's not really succeeding. Maybe it might be better if I had some friends to play it with, but I've tried showing it to people I know and been met with a resounding meh of disinterest, for a variety of stated reasons. It's not really worth it to me to continue at this point.

• FreshSheet

You can't really critique a game you haven't even scratched the surface of. I will admit that you have your points about the tutorial. But the tutorial was supposed to be humor, you either don't get that kind of humor or went into it too serious. And for the ease of enemies, come on it's the first couple chapters of course it's supposed to be easy. The game picks up and annihilates you around chapter 5-6. At that point it takes lots of skill and technique to make it past that point alone. And for perfect scores, it tells you what each award does at the end of the chapter, like how many points it's worth, and there is an entire section in your menu devoted to explaining how you got an award, given that you've obtained it already. You just didn't look for it. And maybe the demo could be improved. I dunno I never did just the demo.
                                      I'm noticing that in general, lots of the complaints about WL are simply from not looking hard enough for something or quitting before the game got awesome. Each person is different, I never thought about stopping I loved it from the start.

• Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Did I not state that these were my "first impressions"? Did I not admit, several times, that I had not seen much of the game, in large part because the demo does not allow me to?

The purpose of a demo is to showcase the game and attract players with its awesome. "Here's our awesome game, see how awesome it is, there's lots more awesome if you buy the full version." If the demo does not showcase the awesome parts of the game, what good is it? It's just going to leave a bad taste in players' mouth, and they're not going to touch the full game. That's exactly what it's done here, with me.

I went into the tutorial expected to be given thorough lessons on the game and its controls. For the most part, I wasn't disappointed, until right at the end. Then I get thrown into an unwinnable fight where I get one-shotted outright, with a snide remark saying, "welp, looks like you lost! Better stay away from demons!"

That's not humorous to me. That's insulting. If you've ever played D&D, and lovingly crafted a character, only for the DM to cause a cave-in in the first room of the dungeon and kill everyone just so he can have a chuckle at your death, that's what it feels like. It sent me in the game feeling like a loser, after getting me really psyched up and feeling good. "Hey, this game controls really well, it's nice and smooth. Sure the spell menu's a bit clunky, but you're not supposed to use it in the middle of combat. It even has a crafting system that's nice and easy to understand. And... oh what the HELL is this? An unwinnable boss fight in the tutorial? FFS, man, just when I was feeling good about this game."

That left me feeling bitter and demotivated, and that winds up coloring the rest of my experience with the game. You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression, and I'll be frank here: Wanderlust? Blew it.

Considering the demo only goes to chapter 3, I never get to see these awesome, skill and technique required enemies. Again, the demo fails at its intended purpose, that being to sell me on this game.

I'd like to know where, and in which menu. Maybe I didn't look very hard for it, but after all the disappointment I'd experienced thus far, can you blame me?

The demo, as I've explained, doesn't give one a lot of choice about the matter. If you're to be believed, the game doesn't bother to get 'good' until well after the demo ends. If the demo is going to showcase the worst part of the game, then it kinda fails at its intended purpose, and I can't be blamed if it discourages me from purchasing the full version. I'm not going to waste money on something that can't put on a convincing demonstration on why it's worth my cash and my time. I got plenty of other options.

• FreshSheet

In game, press esc, My Character, View Awards. And yes I can blame you because if you're going to write a bash, you should make sure you have the right information. And you can't expect the demo to showcase everything in the game, then there would be no point to the full thing if you get it all in the demo. The demo shows the start. If you don't want to see how the rest goes on then it just isn't the right game for you. The game wasn't even made at the start to appeal to all audiences. It was made to be a hard game. Thus the brutal beginning. If it made you feel like a loser, well sorry but that's what hard games do. Although I will say that so far, you're the only one to complain about dying at the start that I know of.
                                          And for the demo showcasing the "worst part of the game" would you rather it throw you in at chapter 5 with nothing and get you annihilated time after time again? It has to start at the beginning, it's just unfortunate that you didn't enjoy it.

I think I should make this clear: I'm not trying to say you're completely wrong and unjustified. I realize there are problems with the game. I'm simply trying to explain why things are the way they are.