IDEA: Black holes

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Superdup01, Jun 29, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on my idea?

1. It's amazing!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. It's great!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's good.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I'm fine with it...

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. I don't like it much.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. It's terrible.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Superdup01

Superdup01 Poptop Tamer

Shoot, I realized I posted in the social general discussion, not the starbound one...

Edit: I've been moved, anyways...

Hello! After thinking this idea up before going to bed, I just HAD to put it somewhere.

SO! Black holes, here's my idea of how they'd work in-game...

It appears in the place of a random star (most likely temperate stars) in a radius around the ship every few hours, and when it appears, a massive supernova cloud'll expand for a while before dissipating, that's your reminder that basically says "hey, a star just blew up, go get yourself some sick loot."

When a hole appears, nearby system's planets will get snatched away by the black hole (unless you've built a colony/placed crafting stations and/or storage items on said planet). Then a timer of 30 minutes begins before the planet enters the event horizon, also, planet's materials will be messed up (ores could be smushed together by the gravity from the hole to make mixed ores, which, when smelted create alloys.)

About the timer, as it decreases, the planet will rumble more and more, sometimes ripping chunks of the planet off, until, if you're on the planet to experience the event horizon, a cinematic will play out of the player giving up and kneeling down as all the blocks fall up and deteriorate.

When the player respawns after a black hole death, they'll be inflicted with the status effect "Trauma" where the player gets item names/icons/descriptions all mixed up for 1.5 minutes, for example, you might start whacking an enemy with a bowl of salve, or you might stab yourself trying to heal with a dagger.

Hope you all enjoy my suggestion, oh, by the way, the ruin biome theme (or any other intense song of choice) plays when the counter has 5 minutes left.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Two problems. The first being that that is not really how black holes work.
    The second, more important, is that, despite saying "sick loot," you haven't really specified what about these dying planets would make them worth the risk. Loads of ores? I'm just not sure that's motivating enough to lose my money, food, or character when I could easily gather tons of material from more stable situations.

soulsword3 likes this.
  3. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe it is simply too ambitious for this game. Sounds like what you've got in mind would take hundreds of hours to develop, and integrate into the universe in a suitable fashion.

On a more opinionated note, I dislike the idea of star systems being destroyed. I'm 75% thinking that alone is a terrible idea, and 25% thinking it could be alright if done right.

4. Messyart

Messyart Starship Captain

It'd be more like "This system is about to be sucked into this black hole, gather anything of value and escape or lose your ship, and your character." and then give you 24hrs real time to get the hell out of dodge.

111sonic111 likes this.