Ideas for new spaceship mechanics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Tamoosh, Feb 21, 2017.

?

What do you think of our ideas? Yea or nay?

1. Yea, I think this would be great!

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Nay, this seems dumb.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I think it could work but the concept needs improvement.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Tamoosh

Tamoosh Void-Bound Voyager

Summed up version for those who don't like reading: You get intercepted by pirates, you fight it out, you board them or they board you depending on the winner of the initial space battle, They pay you off to let them be, or you blow them to bits when you win. Ship upgrades like turrets, shields and stuff like ship-cloaking become part of the game. If interested read the rest of my novel of a post.

I've discussed this with a few of my friends and they just like me think that ship to ship combat in starbound would be a great new feature. Already the ships have cannons that are sadly only for show, so why not put them to use in a new feature? What we suggest is a system where sometimes while traveling from one star-system to another, you could get "pulled out" of faster than light travel and have to combat an enemy ship, which Starbound's lore gives us a few ideas of who these enemies could be: either Cultists, Bandits, Miniknog, Penguins and maybe even Floran scavengers since most of their tech is reverse engineered.

The combat system could work with a point of view that you see your ship from the same angle but with a sortof "outside hull" visible, so you don't see your ship's interior. The battle would be almost like a high speed chase, the pirates being behind you and you being chased, firing at eachother with turrets. If you have soldiers in your crew they could man other turrets on your ship and fire at the enemy, who would also have a random number of additional cannons. You would be able to move your ship around the battle dodging enemy fire and avoiding the occasional asteroid. You would be able to target certain areas of the enemy ship, causing damage to specific systems like the reactor so that they lose power to their thrusters or the cockpit so that they can't steer their ship, stuff like that. Eventually, if you take enough damage your ship would be severely damaged, the enemy would loot you and you would have to repair your systems using different resources (probably metals). To prevent that you can surrender and the enemies would spare you and your ship but they would loot your ship and potentially take a crew member. On the other hand the enemies would surrender and you would have the choice of either boarding their ship to get items and pixels or destroying their ship and getting parts like turrets or other parts to upgrade your ship.

The boarding option is quite simple, you beam over to the enemy ship raiding chests and crates. You could also take fuel. You would then beam back to your ship and continue your jump to your destination. Enemy's boarding you would work exactly the same.

Now the simpler option of destroying the enemy's ship. As said their ship would explodeand you could go through the ship's wreckage and salvage upgrades for your ship, but this would reward less pixels and no ore, weapons, food, tech cards, manipulator modules or consumables. The upgrades would be things such as improved shields, better turrets or even support upgrades like a cloaking device that lowers the chance of pirate attacks. These upgrades would even be purchasable by penguin Pete and more obscure upgrades from the shady penguin bay merchant. So thats my (long) idea for ship mechanics, tell me what you think, all feedback is appreciated and a simple yes or no for the idea helps.

This is not all the ideas we had and I will edit this to add more information so check back from time to time for more ideas

Finaly I would like to give credit to my friends Eroh and VariousPurple (Those are their Steam names) who helped me alot with this idea.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    S.A.A. likes this.
  2. S.A.A.

S.A.A. Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think you might like this.

What in your ship would get looted if you lose? I'm not sure how I feel about them looting random chests, especially since my ship's really the only safe place for my belongings... and because I like to AFK in my ship.

3. DerSocken

DerSocken Void-Bound Voyager

I think it would be cool mixed with my idea, so Pirates can beam to your ship and attack NPC ships and you must help them too.

Original link: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/space-pirates.130599/

My other Ideas:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/idea-for-new-crewmember-mechanic.130600/
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/sidequest-extended-story.130602/

Please check them out :D .