Improve Grass Mechanics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Trenix, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Trenix

Trenix Twenty-three is number one

Some things I noticed about grass which I believe should be improved...
    • Grass shouldn't grow on solid blocks, like rock for example.
    • When any block is placed on top of grass, it should disappear.
    • Grass should spread to the dirt tiles next to it.

2. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

• Strongly disagree.
      That natural mossy rock look is soooo good. We should be able to ADD grass to rocks.
    • Just hit it with a pick or matter manipulator. Sometimes the grass adds a lot. It can make a little house look cozier with grass under the foundation.
    • Agreed.
    Really, we should put grass on MORE blocks. If you use a teraformer to turn a planet lush or forested then grass will grow on pre-existing structures and it looks great. Shadow shrines with grassy overgrowth? Shockingly good.
    terraformed.png

3. Trenix

That does work, but when I first started playing the game I placed plenty of dirt to make a flat base. I thought grass will suffocate when a block is placed on top of it, but nope. So recently I had to dig up under my base, destroy the grass, and fix it all up again, which I thought was completely unnecessary. I even had more frustration because my matter manipulator has been upgraded, which is now breaks dirt in less than a second, which made me have to pick up the dirt I accidentally broke from destroying the grass and repair everything again. Again, plenty of unnecessary work for something which should already be in the game. Even in Minecraft the grass on dirt blocks eventually die if block is placed on top of it.

I see what you mean and it does look nice, however to me it still looks like grass, not moss. Maybe if this grass that was on solid blocks had it's own texture and looked more like moss, then I'd agree. I mean take for example the bottom right of the screen where the grass merges with dirt and a solid block, don't like it at all. Also don't like that cotton is growing on rock rather than dirt. If we're going to have moss, lets have a moss texture. Moss is usually flat and round not tall and facing upward like grass. Hell we could even have moss growing sideways unlike grass.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Circle Cell

Circle Cell Void-Bound Voyager

Grow grass everywhere! Upside down grass! Yeah!

5. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    It doesn't need to be moss, grass can grow on rocks.

6. Trenix

Grass doesn't grow on rocks, it grows in-between them where soil is. It needs soil.... oh man.

7. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

The rocks in Starbound look broken up enough to me. They probably aren't meant to represent a single solid chunk of stone.

8. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

There should have tall grass, where you can't see bellow your head. It would be possible to hide by ducking. Maybe a new feature of the Jungle planets, where hostile Florans can hide until you are too close to run. Just saying... :p

Jerln likes this.
  9. Trenix

Expect for when you have ruins that have grass, not moss, growing on top of the roof with roots coming from the ceiling. Where is the soil on the roof?

10. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't care, it looks good

11. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Maybe the roof is dirty. Maybe the stone / tile / whatever has been broken down into soil. Maybe it's magic space mold that just looks like grass. We're playing in a game where you can catch fish in lava, using a bit of imagination is alright.

IxFa likes this.
  12. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

Ok, so, we have solid Rock, like literally pure Rock (which includes bricks where I agree that shouldn't have grass growing), and we have Cobblestone (cracked pieces of stone together, where grass is ok). Which one you don't want grass on? If I understand, the first one...? If so I agree. About the imortal underground grass, I also agree that this should be removed when you place dirt on dirt (or other materials of the same kind).